PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
JHPDA Event: Postdoc Research Presentation Club
The Postdoctoral Research Presentation Club is looking for members and speakers! Practice a research talk and receive friendly feedback from an audience of postdoctoral fellows and graduate students. Native English speakers and ESL speakers alike are encouraged.
When: 2nd Wednesday of each month, 12-1pm
Where: PreClinical Teaching Building (PCTB) Room 113/114 (across Greenhouse cafe)
For more information, click here. To book your slot and RSVP, click here.
Professional Development Office (PDO) Events:
Topics to be discussed: productivity and career advancement, mentoring students and trainees, building and managing teams, you and your organization, dollars and science, time management, project management, commercialization and entrepreneurship.
When: Tuesdays and Wednesdays; April 29 - May 22, 2014
Where: Mountcastle Auditorium (1st floor, PCTB)
Register: click here
Course Director: Donna Vogel
Developing a Tailored Resume and Deciphering the Job Announcement
If you are considering positions in industry or non-profit organizations, come to learn how to decipher the job announcement and to tailor your resume to the position. You are encouraged to share your resume and/or a specific job announcement at this interactive workshop.
When: Monday, May 5th, 12-2pm
Where: 1830 Building, Room 2-108
Register: click here
A Series of Talks by Dr. Toby Freedman
The PDO and the Biomedical Careers Initiative are happy to announce a series of talks by Dr. Toby Freedman, author of Career Opportunities in Biotechnology and Drug Development (see flyer). For more info and to register for the events below, visit the BCI events page.
DAY 1: Tuesday, May 20th
Talk #1: “The Many Career Opportunities in Industry, Government and Non Profit Organizations,” 11am, Wood Basic Science Building (WBSB) Auditorium
Talk #2: “Job Search Strategies in Industry: Networking and Resume Development,” 1:30pm, WBSB Auditorium
Small group session for postdocs: Pursuing job opportunities, 3:45pm, Room 2-108 of the 1830 Building
Lunch will be served for attendees at 12:30pm.
DAY 2: Events on Wednesday, May 21st
Talk #3: “Interviewing and Informational Interviews” seminar, 11am, WBSB Auditorium
Talk #4: “What to Look for in a Company, Salary Comps and the Current Economy,” 1:00pm, WBSB Auditorium
Lunch will be served for attendees at 12:00pm.
Recent additions listed below. Full descriptions here.
- NCBI Discovery Workshops at the National Library of Medicine (5/06-5/07, Bethesda; link)
- 7th Annual NIH Career Symposium (5/26; link)
- 2nd annual Pediatric Translational Research Workshop for Basic Scientists at CHOP (applications due by 5/23; link)
- FDA Commissioner’s Fellowship (apply by 5/26; link)
- Data scientist training program, 6-week fellowship (06/09-07/18; details & application)
- Johns Hopkins Schizophrenia Center 3rd Annual Symposium (6/11; link)
- The Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics (6/16-7/03; register by 6/20; link); contact JHU SOM registrar for tuition support
- 2014 NIH Regional Seminar on Program Funding and Grants Administration (6/26-6/27; link)