On the book: Great Decisions, Perfect Timing—Cultivating Intuitive Intelligence
Topics for discussion for Interviewers
Paul O’Brien was a bootstrap entrepreneur who took something he loved and turned it into an online business that attracted over 10 million registered members. He sold the company in 2007 for millions of dollars and has since authored three books, including a modern version of the ancient I Ching — called The Visionary I Ching. Today we are going to focus more on his newest book entitled Great Decisions, Perfect Timing: Cultivating Intuitive Intelligence.
Paul is a sought-after speaker, raconteur, philanthropist and founder of the Divination Foundation. For 30 years, he has hosted Pathways radio and podcasts—an interview program focusing on personal and cultural evolution, which is broadcast across Oregon and podcast worldwide via Divination.com.
[If you are an interviewer, reviewer or member of the press, please contact Divination Foundation via email or call 503-246-8598 for a review copy of the book (or go to GreatDecisionsPerfectTiming.com/freebook/ to download a pdf version of the book … the download requires a signup to our free bimonthly newsletter, but your email is kept entirely confidential and you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t want to receive it every two months).]
Interviewing Paul O’Brien — Themes and Questions
- Great Decisions, Perfect Timing is based on your story of business success … what is remarkable about your story?
- [an executive leaves his position, choosing meaning over money … does something rthat fascinates and has the money come anyway … true story]
- it all started with two ‘fascinations’ I discovered that I had as a youth
- Visionary Decision Making (VDM) … your visionary decision-making system … what is that?
- You say Decision-Making is the major source of stress and disease ???
- What is the essence of VDM? [intuitive intelligence mixed with logic]
- Why do you say decision-making is the highest leverage human skill?
- Why is decision-making more important and more challenging than ever?
- Why are we human beings so terrible at making great and timely decisions?
- The two questions that need to be answered in order to be able to make the right moves at the right time ...
- Manifesting Success -- How do you define “success”? How did you define success for yourself?
- In your talks on entrepreneurial success….what are the three most important success factors? (determination, resourcefulness, timing)
- your vision of success was about creative freedom … explain
- Self-knowledge (and the 3 Stages of Life)
- Stage One: Self-discovery. You emphasize the importance of our ‘fascinations’...why?
- Stage Two – the ‘Builder/Provider’ stage
- Stage Three – the ‘Patron/Sage’ stage (creating a legacy)
- Cultivating Intuitive Intelligence
- Why do you describe intuition as a sensitive “antenna”?
- Why does intuition lead the way in visionary decision making?
- What are primary obstacles to intuitive reception? (noise & strong emotions)
- What is “OBrien’s Law” about strong feelings?
- How do logic and intuition work together? (logic is a filter)
- You cite your “Weighted Pros” method as a useful and easy technique for applying logic to decision making …
- You claim that anyone can learn to improve their intuition …
- What is your “heart-check” method for determining if a decision is intuitive or ego-driven?
- the Art & Science of “Perfect Timing” … is there such a thing?
- you say Timing is a special kind of decision … how are timing and intuition related?
- You refer to SYNCHRONICITY as the science of perfect timing … what does it mean?
- What is the ART of perfect timing? [Ans: Intuitive D-M]
Intuition drives awareness for making the right moves at the right time
- How can we use the esoteric discoveries of the great psychologist, Carl Jung—synchronicity, archetypes and the collective unconscious?
- Archetypes -- What are archetypes? (human dynamics, sources of personal power, human situations that cross cultures and ages, elements of the heroes journey)
- How can we use archetypes to improve our strategic decision-making?
- Jung’s “Collective Unconscious”—which you call “Infinite Intelligence”
- You refer to the ‘spiritual' dimension of decision making … (the ‘cloud’ metaphor)
- You talk about “going direct” and point out that this is the liberating Aquarian Age approach to the spirituality … explain.
- You have a background in divination systems … how does divination access this ‘cloud database’ you call Infinite Intelligence?
- You are known as “the father of divination software” – how did you invent this category of multimedia back in 1989? (great story)
- The I Ching divination system as an intuitive decision-making aid
- Why did you include the Chinese I Ching divination system in your book? Isn’t divination basically fortune-telling?
- How the I Ching integrates timing w archetypal energies and timeless wisdom …
- Why do you describe the I Ching as the first “change management” tool?
- What is the best way to pose a question to the I Ching?
- How has the I Ching helped you personally in your career and relationships?
- How often should should a person consult the I Ching or Tarot cards?
- How does using the I-Ching help people improve their timing?
- You have a chapter entitled “Belief Engineering” … we choose our beliefs!
... you redefine the role of beliefs and the meaning of ‘faith’
- Why is it vital to continually upgrade one’s beliefs? To change one’s mind?
- you recommend trying out new “visionary” beliefs … like what?
(Change is your friend. Everything happens for a reason. Infinite Intelligence is a
resource that is there for you. What you want is good for you.)
- A New Philosophy for the 21st Century
- What do you mean about achieving a synchronistic lifestyle? What is that?
- The practice of Generosity … giving back to the Commons (tell the story of how you invented and gave away Karma Coins, generosity as a business practice)
- You talk about “going direct” for guidance and point out that this is a liberating approach to the personal and spiritual dimensions of life … explain.
- One slogan in the book that sums it up: “Take the risks that grow you.” (but not a crazy bigger risk than is called for)
- Considering that it is published by the Divination foundation, how can people get your book?