Finca Morpho’s Community Living Agreements
I agree to make the following commitments as a person living, visiting, or working at Finca Morpho:
- I agree to honor my agreements with Finca Morpho, and the individuals within the community; or when necessary, initiate clear communication towards setting new agreements.
- I agree to understand, integrate, and respect The Co-Creator’s Agreements.
- I agree to align with and support Finca Morpho’s mission, vision, and goals.
- I agree to follow all policies, guidelines, and procedures established by the community & Finca Morpho, and willingly accept the consequences of non-compliance.
- I agree to practice non-violence towards community members through non-violent communication & actions; and maintain clear, open, and honest communication with everyone.
- I agree to pro-actively work to resolve conflicts and misunderstandings.
- I agree to be cordial and welcoming to all guests, members, employees, visitors, and volunteers.
- I agree to clean up after myself, my children, and my pets, leaving things in a better condition than found.
- I agree to treat children and others with love and respect, knowing that we are all at a different points in our lives and walking each other home.
Holistic Culture & Ecology:
- Finca Morpho is dedicated to "being the change we want to see in the world".
- I agree that while I am a resident, volunteer, member, or guest I will remain open to my own personal growth and development as a whole being, a part of a larger ecological system and that I will honor and respect all beings around me, from the microcosm to the macrocosm.
- I agree to pursue a path of personal awareness and growth, and prepare myself to take responsibility for my emotions, ideas, beliefs, behaviors and their effects on others.
- I agree to remain open to the invisible beings that are integral to the health of the land and thus our community, and the planet.
- I agree to treat the environment with care and consider how my thoughts, words, and actions affect me and everything around me.
- I agree to treat all plants, animals, fungi, bacteria, and protozoa with reverence and respect. I will strive to understand more about the complexity of the plant, animal, fungi, bacteria and protozoa worlds.
- I agree to only collect from plants that I know the names of and from zones in which I know I have permission.
- I agree to keep wildlife wild by having them forage for their own food and understand that it can upset this delicate ecosystem when we try to involve ourselves in the natural processes.
- I agree to refrain from striking any domestic animal in the pursuit of correction, training, or teaching.
Supporting Finca Morpho:
- I agree to maintain the facilities around the farm to an appealing and clean fashion so that guests, visitors, and community members have a pleasant experience. When leaving an area I will leave the area cleaner than it was before I got there.
- I agree to keep all Finca Morpho equipment, materials, tools, cleaning supplies, bedding, food preparation items, etc. where they belong with awareness that they are Finca Morpho resources and several people are accountable to their placement and use.
- I agree children are not allowed to venture from one area to another with anyone except Root or Trunk Members without special permission from their parents. I will refrain from allowing them to follow me from one point of the farm to another without permission directly from their parents. I agree they may be persistent but there must be communication with their parents.
- I agree and understand the limitations to new farms and will respect the members of the farm by receiving necessary approval before harvesting crops ie: leaves, fruits, vegetables. Root Members would like the opportunity to share our wonderful harvests and the abundance the farm produces. It is also necessary for the members to keep track of fruiting times and quantities to better provide for all farm members.
- Infections and Illnesses:
- I agree to help maintain the health of residents and participants by washing hands before meals, food preparation, as well as each trip to the bathroom and consciously keeping my ailments to myself, well after my symptoms have subsided.
- I agree to inform the Finca Morpho Root Members immediately if I have any open wound that still requires attention after 3 days. If I am feeling ill, I will be cognizant of spreading germs and will request time for myself when I am feeling under the weather so that everyone remains healthy.
- I agree to cover any type of wounds or infections during communal meals.
- I understand and agree that if I am coming from festival, gathering, or a group of 50+ people I will be inspected for lice upon arrival.
- If I find lice or lice eggs in my hair I agree to notify the community immediately so that we can begin working with previously established protocols to deal with lice prevention and eradication.
- I agree to check with the Finca Morpho Core Members before starting any land – altering project.
- I agree to take responsibility for keeping relevant porch and deck areas that are visible to the general public tidy and free of clutter.
- I agree to buy my own food on my own time and understand that the weekly trip to town is for the regular communal meals we have and food for the Root Members. I understand that I have free time in the afternoons and on weekends to buy my own food and have the power to communicate with another person going to town.
Use of Community Assets: (i.e. bikes, tools, cleaning equipment, etc.)
- I agree if/when using Finca Morpho’s asset and resources, to treat them with respect, keep them clean and in proper working order.
- I agree to return the asset to the location it came from and in the condition in which I borrowed it, unless otherwise communicated to the Core Members.
- I agree if something is broken or lost, I will notify a Root or a Trunk Member.
- I am aware and agree that items I open to community use may be rendered unusable in a very short time.
- I agree and understand that there are children in the community and therefore I will keep my valuable, inappropriate, fragile, dangerous, or other items (which may be damaged by young children) in a safe place.
- I agree I may also choose to responsibly donate goods to the Finca Morpho community by communicating with a Root Member about donating my undesired junk before I leave.
- I agree if I leave my belongings unorganized and unattended on the property for longer than a week it becomes MOOP and communal property of the farm.
Skill Accreditation System:
- I agree it is important to use a tool correctly both for the safety of myself and others.
- I agree on the farm I will be asked to demonstrate my abilities before gaining access to use tools unsupervised. Skills include machete, axe, power tools, and bamboo tools.
- I agree if I am observed using a tool incorrectly or dangerously, I will lose my accreditation and must be re-accredited.
- Farm Food: I agree and understand all food and items in the kitchen that the farm bought have a purpose and must ask the Kitchen Pillar Chef before using anything.
- I understand that there is a flow to how we use the food and everything has been accounted for.
- I understand that when the farm is in abundance there will be snack items and I will purchase my own when necessary.
- Personal Food: I agree to label all my food and store in the appropriate locations in the kitchen.
- Compost: I agree to take out food compost when I notice it is full to the black soldier flies, and return the bucket to the appropriate place. All other organic material can be composted in one of our other compost systems.
- Cooking: I agree that when I can I will use a sustainable cooking source.(ie. rocket stove, open fire, or methane gas). I understand that propane is unsustainable and I will consider that when I do use propane to limit the amount I use.
- Refrigerator: I agree due to power constraints sometimes I will lack access to a refrigerator and when I do have access to the communal refrigerator I will limit my use to only leftover food and one cold drink.
- I agree that is my responsibility to have my food labeled and in a container with a lid, to limit the spills in the refrigerator.
- I agree and understand that if I store any type of meat in the refrigerator that it must be labeled and in a container with a lid. I understand plastic bags (number of bags does has little effect) fail to contain accidents.
- Energy Usage: Since we are on solar power here on the farm, we take a conscious effort in our use of electronics and power usage.
- I agree to turn off lights/appliances when free from use.
- I agree to only charge my devices during the times of 7am-4pm.
- I agree to only use lights in communal areas during the evening until 9pm. (We encourage candle light)
- I agree on cloudy days charging and power usage is restricted. Power tools, charging, laundry, fans, lights are restricted.
- I agree after my electronics are charged fully, I will remove it from the power source.
- Water: I agree to take into account that there is a limited amount of water on the farm and will be mindful of my usage of water when washing clothes, dishes, and showering.
- Laundry: I agree and understand I must be accredited to use the washing machine before I use it.
- I understand I must sign-up for a 1-hour time-slot Wednesday through Saturday 9am-2pm to use the washing machine.
- I understand when I sign-up for a timeslot I must stick around the whole time I am using the laundry machine so that I maximize my loads and remain within the boundary timeslot.
- I understand that on cloudy days I may lack the ability to use the washing machine.
- Recycling: I agree to clean and sort my recyclables correctly in bins at the resource center and pay attention to the signs.
- I agree each person is responsible to stuff/pack their own trash into containers. Once a trash (eco) brick is complete it can be placed at the resource center in the appropriate area designated for “trash bricks”.
- I agree that I am responsible for stuffing/packing/sorting all of my trash into containers or appropriate spot in the Resource Center.
- We encourage people to free their connection with the internet as much as possible and limit the internet usage to a minimum to stimulate personal growth.
- I agree to ask before starting any downloads that are over 5mb.
- I agree to keep my streaming of music and videos to minimum unless the videos are educationally or instructionally relevant to the farm or task at hand.
- I understand that the computer in the communal area is primarily for checking of messages and emails.
- I agree to turn my wifi off when I am doing tasks on the farm to keep from using the bandwidth.
Personal Guests and Farmstay Guests:
- I agree people staying on Finca Morpho who are opting out of the volunteer program or a renter must have a host who is a current Root Member. These people come under a guest title and can only be on the farm for 10 days. Special circumstances may be granted if all Root Members are notified in advance by a consensus decision.
- I agree Friday afternoons from 12pm - 3pm the farm allows me to have visitors, the guests brought to the farm for visiting must be approved prior to arrival. All guests visiting residential areas must be pre-approved by Root Members. All non volunteers are required to pay for accommodations.
- I agree that I am responsible to host my guest and is my responsibility to integrate them into the farm flow.
Meetings & Check ins:
- I agree Monday afternoons at 2:00pm there is a optional resonance meeting of connecting at the heart to plan the upcoming week and address any concerns or announcements. These meetings are for all Root, Trunk, Branch, and Leaf Members check in gatherings that hold space for people to speak and be heard by all who are present. This meeting is operated through a talking stick model, where there is an elimination of cross conversations, attacks, and defenses. While a person shares, the group listens, thus it is a safe place to express oneself.
- I agree Finca Morpho holds time for other meetings and can be called for greater efficiency for the whole or between a few members.
- I agree meetings are on a consensus and all decisions that affect the overall community must be agreed upon by the Root Member Council.
- I agree Saturday Nights at 7:00pm at a designated place on the farm there will be a Talking Stick Circle gathering to help connect on deeper levels of understanding. Allowing this time to listen and to be heard is vital to our health as a community. The day will be picked during the week and sometimes a topic or a video will be given to open up a clearer line of information.
- I agree to be an active Root or Trunk/Twig (Trunk In Training) member on the farm, I will attend every Root/Trunk/Twig Meeting. I understand that the Monday meeting is optional and only requires One Root or Trunk member to facilitate. I agree that if I miss the main community meetings I will forfeit being apart of the community. I understand that the main community meetings are essential for our growth and progression as a collective farm. I agree to be present and attentive during these meetings to maintain focused directed flow.
- I agree that to the best of my control, I will help ensure quiet time is honored from 8pm until 6am daily.
- I agree residents and visitors may choose to stay up later than others as long as the noise level is kept to a respectful volume and clear of any residential housing.
- I agree Sundays are for the members to relax and spend some time with their families. I understand I should prepare on Saturday for anything I may want or require on Sundays so that the day remains respected to the families. I understand I can use this day to go to the beach, surf, hike, and all farm projects are on a stand still on this day. I agree to hold all my issues/concerns that I may have until Monday unless necessary. I understand if I have an emergency I will report the situation to Joshua.
Payment for Stay and Deposit:
- I agree that once I have paid for my stay that I am limiting the amount of people that can come to the farm and in doing so I forfeit my refund for leaving early.
- I agree in the event that my length of stay changes, I will express my intentions to leave early or stay longer as soon as they are solidified in my head. Finca Morpho understands that a change of desire is natural, though to account for housing demand, capacity, and keeping agreements with other people who wish to come to our farm is important for me to communicate to the Root Members about my plans for disembarking.
- I agree and understand I will pay a refundable $100 deposit before or upon my arrival.
- I agree and understand that my deposit is to cover any tent, propane tanks, bedding, tools, and cleaning expenses that I could incur during my trip. To ensure the return of my deposit, I will make sure that I will stuff all my trash & give to community member checking me out, leave areas in the same fashion as I found it or better, and return all tools and goods to their designated spots that I have used, lent, or borrowed.
- I agree and understand if I break a tool, rip/burn/stain bedding, leave things behind for others to clean, damage an asset, or use things inappropriately I will forfeit my deposit to pay for damages. I understand there is a program to work off my debts.
- I agree and understand it is my responsibility at the end of my stay to communicate with the core team about getting my deposit returned, otherwise it is seen as a donation to the farm.
- I agree and understand to receive my deposit, I will clean a load of sheets to off-set my usage of my sheets on my departure and return my dirty sheets to the blue communal laundry bin. I agree and understand I will wash the sheets I was loaned bi-monthly.
Repeated Infraction of the Living Agreements:
- I agree if I am in violation of any part of this agreement, a Finca Morpho Root Member will set a meeting to discuss the agreement in violation and begin the resolution process. I recognize I will have a chance to be genuinely heard and assist in finding a solution to my challenge.
- I also understand all Finca Morpho Root Members will be notified about my conduct, and that if I continue to breach this agreement, I will be placed in an observation period, which means that I must be aware of how my actions affect others.
- I agree if I continue to cause distress and I am unable to resolve community tensions. Finca Morpho Root Members will address and may recommend an end to my residency. I agree to leave peacefully and follow the course set by Finca Morpho Root Members.
- I agree I must be reinvited before visiting or showing up to the farm once asked to end my residency.
Videos and Pictures:
- I agree Finca Morpho has the right to use photos of myself on its website, promotions, and social media.
- I agree that my image can be represented in these fashions.
- I agree and understand that I have the option to let others know when or if I wish to remove myself from being seen in videos or pictures.
I understand, have read, and agree to the Community Living Agreements above:
Root Member Signature