OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 5th February 2013

19:00 - 20:10 UTC

Agenda & Minutes

final

Present:  Michael Collinson, Simon Poole, Richard Weait

Apologies: 

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meeting

 

https://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/document/d/1zYrYm_y3D6-vnUi2va0BtEfHo76qOUuUU9vT2X6mvv0/edit

Note: This minute link is for LWG members only. A public version is normally available at http://www.osmfoundation.org

Proposed: Richard

Seconded: Simon

Accepted

 

2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Richard will put the word out for new volunteers via CWG. 

3. Finalise today's agenda

4. DMCA take-down procedure

  • Public documentation
  • Mike to publicly document exactly how we respond to a take-down request.
  • Mike to ask legal counsel about the ramifications of publicly documenting the notice themselves immediately or after a certain time, such as 90 days.

  • Other jurisdictions - what do we do?
  • UK, our servers are there, look at exact procedure
  • In other countries, SOP should be to contact counsel, preferably within that jurisdiction.

5. Themed meetings

Mike suggested we experiment with this and start with a “UN meeting” with HOT invitees to discuss licensing of satellite imagery and whether there should be a “UN Open Data License” in the same manner as national governments or should we promote PDDL.  We will organise such an event. A point that came out of discussion was that a plethora of different open government licenses can cause incompatibility issues between countries and may not be in the interests of OSM.  The situation in Canada was quoted. We should consider instead promoting PDDL as a single license.

6. LWG 2013

Sign-off of LWG role post-license change document:

https://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/document/d/1D3KwSM_BO7KkcbVADQVVn7eFwkD-RNauMwidhhlVPsI/edit# (edit copy for LWG members)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D3KwSM_BO7KkcbVADQVVn7eFwkD-RNauMwidhhlVPsI/pub  (publicly visible)

We endorsed the current version and Mike will forward it to the board.

7. Cease and Desist notice re the word “Geocode”

A company has sent a Cease and Desist letter basically forbidding the use of the word “Geocode”.  LWG is aware of the general situation and notes that the board is handling this issue under guidance from counsel and will only get involved if invited to by the board.

8. Update on Apple from Henk

Mike to contact Henk

7. AOB

None

Next Meeting:

Next meeting: Tuesday February 19th at 19:00 GMT/UTC