EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY HILLWALKING CLUB BUS DRIVER’S GUIDE
Last amended March 2014
- Know where you’re going and where you are stopping for supper on the way.
- Have a map or a satnav with you, or someone who knows where they are going.
- The club mobile number is 07818 295 571. Have this in your phone.
Picking up the bus
- The keys can be picked up from 10 am from the front desk of the CSE.
- The buses are kept in the Peffermill garage (large metal gate about 20 meters down the road from the main entrance to the playing fields).
- Check the bus for any damage and report it in Duncan’s folder.
- Fill in the check sheet before leaving the garage.
- Take photos of the exterior of the bus as a record of any pre-existing damage.
- Make sure the gate is locked behind you.
- If any incidents occur on the journey check the bus for damage as soon as possible and document it.
- If you need to take a break at any point, do so.
- No one on the bus is allowed to drink alcohol and everyone must be wearing a seat belt.
Dropping off the bus
- If you have any club gear on the bus make sure someone has a gear room key.
- Take the bus back to the CSE car park and put any club gear back in the gear room.
- Make sure that someone comes with you (preferably a committee member or another bus driver) to drop off the bus.
- Check that the bus is empty of all gear and rubbish.
- Fill up the tank with Diesel at the BP station or at Cameron Toll.
- Take the bus back to the garage.
- You and whoever is with you should check again for any damage to the bus (inside and out).
- Document any damage in the folder.
- Fill in the check sheet.
- Drop the keys in the letter box located at head height on the left of the car park.
- Lock the gate behind you.
Arnold Clark buses
- Pick up a section 19 permit from the SU office. This requires a £10 deposit which is given back to you when you return it. Make sure this is displayed in the bus at all times.
- The keys and bus can be picked up at Arnold Clark, Seafield Road, Portobello.
- Make sure you know when the bus can be picked up and needs to be dropped off. Ask the Meets Secretary.
- The bus will normally need to be dropped off on Monday morning so park the bus somewhere that won’t invite a parking ticket and ensure that you are free to be able to drop it off.
- Give the Section 19 permit back to the SU to get your £10 back