JERVIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
613 N. Washington St., Rome, NY 13440-4296
(315) 336-4570 Fax: (315) 336-2056
DO YOU KNOW THESE FACTS ABOUT THE LIBRARY?
- Contracts with City of Rome & Oneida County to provide library services to all residents.
- With Utica Public Library, recognized by Oneida County as one of two regional libraries.
- Operating Budget 2017: 22% city; 18% county; 55% school district tax levy; 3% other sources & earned revenue; under 2% NYS.
- A non-profit 501 (c)(3) educational institution per NYS & the IRS. Established 1894.
- A founding member of the NYS-chartered Mid-York Library System, *a cooperative comprised of all 43 public libraries in Oneida, Herkimer, & Madison counties.
- Chartered by Board of Regents, operates under NYS Education Law & Commissioner of Ed. Regulations.
- Fifty towns, villages, cities represented in Jervis’ circulation and library card registrations.
- Total library card holders at 12/31/17: 23,760
- Weekly hours open: Six days, total of 59.5 hours (closed Saturdays, June-September). Minimum number of hours required to be open per week: 55 hours.
- Circulation 2017: Total 209,348; 727 daily average.
- Library patron visits 2017: Total 152,375; 529 daily average.
- Items loaned to fellow member libraries for their patrons 2017: Total 34,279
- Patron requests to be picked up at Jervis Library 2017: Total 12,067
- Reference and Information Queries 2017: Total 17,217
- Programs & Events for children, teens & adults 2017: attendance total 5,212 for 307 programs.
- Public access computers: Total 28
- Electronic Resources Total Use 2017 (Internet, Computer Lab, Wireless users): Total 42,869
- Free Computer & Internet classes (required by NYS); 190 people attended 44 session.
- Awarded NOVELNY-Ready Leader Library certificate by NYS Commissioner of Education.
- Collection Size at 12/31/17: 141,768 items.
The King Study of NYS Library Systems reports that absent library systems, “It would cost libraries at least 3.5 times more than it now costs to provide the services currently offered.”
* Mid-York facilitates group purchasing of library materials (books, videos, music, books-on-tape), office supplies, computer software & hardware, etc., with deep discounts & economies of scale. It affords a shared computer system with Internet access and email, catalogs and processes library materials for the members, delivers daily among members. It provides library consultant services, cooperation and coordination of system-wide library events & programs, as well as staff development workshops & training, and much more.