Basil Chickpea Burgers
1 scallion, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup grated zucchini
1 cup canned chickpeas, with the liquid included
1/3 cup finely chopped basil
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. coriander
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
1 gluten-free waffle (I used Trader Joe's)
To assemble you'll need:
Gluten-free burger rolls (Once again I used Trader Joe's - French Rolls)
Low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Saute the garlic, scallions, mushrooms, carrots, and zucchini until tender, about 3-5 minutes (I use a low calorie spray for the pan).
- In the toaster over, lightly toast the waffle. Put it in the food processor along with the sunflower seeds and process until they've reached a consistency like breadcrumbs. Set aside in a bowl.
- Combine the chickpeas with their liquid in the food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the sauteed vegetables. Stir in the spices and basil. Stir in the egg and processed waffle and sunflower seeds. The mixture should be a good consistency to form into patties at this point, but you can always add more sunflower seeds if needed.
- Oil your skillet with a low calorie spray to prevent sticking and heat on medium heat. Form patties and cook on each side until golden brown.
- While your burgers are cooking, toast the rolls with an ounce of cheese for each burger until the cheese is melted. Add the burger, tomato and avocado slices, and eat up!
Makes about 7 burgers. The leftovers can go in the freezer for another time.
Find the original recipe at The Daily Dietribe.