All members present
Chair: Harry Gibbins (President)
By-election and referenda
- Current lack of computing officer. By-election needed.
- Referendum needed for JCR gender neutral toilets - need to review documents from college council.
- Referendum on updated JCR constitution to be held in near future.
- Was raised that current constitution no longer accurately reflects goals of JCR.
- Run new constitution past law fellow(s) to ensure technical details are correct.
- Plan to vote on week commencing 5th February
- A number of JCR committee members wish to carry out surveys
- Other college members want student input - particularly catering and development + alumni
- Potential to combine all surveys from JCR committee members into a bigger annual survey
- Importance of having skippable sections
- Essential to maintain anonymity and control who sees results - potentially through Harry
TV room say subscription
- Sky is £368 a quarter
- Now TV is £462 a year
- Potential to cut costs by replacing Sky with Now TV - but have paid for Sky this quarter
- Would not lose variety of service
- Potential to upgrade older TV in JCR using money saved
- Make sure transcript of conversation with NOW TV is available
- Concern that separate weekly emails from each welfare officer could flood inboxes and are often ignored as they are repetitive
- Potential to combine emails from all welfare officers. Welfare officers will co-ordinate this amongst themselves
- Need to make it clear that it’s from all welfare officers
- Proposal to create general feedback forms of welfare officers - concern about need to specificity. General contact form is already available on the website.
- One off event with Yoyo. Could be a good welfare event. Potentially a walk.
- All committee members to email Harry picture and few lines about self
- Website needs revamp. Currently messy. Will put more focus on it more after computing officer is elected.
- Servery and Borradaile (check spelling) room particular focus on refurbishment.
- Designer visiting 30th Jan. Between 1-1:30. Need focus group with cross-section of students.
- Members of JCR to attend:
- Bar as cafe is very popular idea with JCR committee
- Important to consider disability access - potential to raise awareness of lift to access hall.
- Recognised that refurbishment is unlikely to involve structural changes.
- Potential for social event in JCR in collaboration with Zero Carbon Cambridge - will be pursued by Laura.
- Concerns that system not working
- Current systems for college rooms like Diamond are slow and make it difficult for members of college
Women’s gym hour
- Voted down by MCR in last referendum
- Potential for another vote now.
- Lack of other solutions proposed since last referendum, so greater support
- Assumption is that it would be 1 hour a week
- Impact on other users would be minimal
- General feeling that existing alternative solution of posters was insufficient
Important dates for upcoming weeks
- 22/01/18 - Mental health training. As many JCR committee members to attend as possible.
- 29/01/18 - JCR committee - all expected to attend.
FOR OLDER MINUTES CLICK HERE