Quinoa Granola Bars
1 cup quinoa flakes
1 1/2 cups puffed rice (millet or any other puffed grain cereal you like)
(Optional) 1 1/2 cups additional mix-ins*
1/2 cup coconut oil, solid
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1/2 cup honey
*Mix-Ins: Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chopped nuts, raisins or chopped dried fruit, mini chocolate chips, unsweetened coconut flakes, etc.
- Prepare a 9 x 9 inch pan by lining with wax or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Toast the quinoa flakes in a dry skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring often. If you're adding in raw seeds or nuts, you can also toast them with the quinoa. Put the quinoa flakes in a large bowl. Stir in the puffed rice. Stir in any additional mix-ins you want, like raisins or coconut flakes.
- Mix together the coconut oil, coconut palm sugar and honey in a small bowl. Heat a small pot on medium and add the oil, sugar, and honey. Stir constantly until the coconut oil has completely melted. When the mix just begins to bubble slightly, remove from heat immediately and pour into the bowl of quinoa flakes. (If you let the honey mix bubble for too long, the resulting granola bars will be hard like candy - not good for your teeth!)
- Stir the whole mixture together, then allow to sit about 5 minutes. Turn into the parchment lined pan and press firmly. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Once cool, slice with a sharp knife into 16 bars (more or less, as you like). I use the knife to remove them from the parchment paper as well, slipping it in between the paper and granola bars (like opening an envelope with a letter opener). Wrap individually in plastic wrap for lunch boxes or set out on a plate and watch them quickly disappear.
Makes 16 granola bars. Store in refrigerator.
An original recipe by Iris Higgins @The Daily Dietribe www.thedailydietribe.com