Voice Tools: Voice Authoring Moodle ISU
Blackboard Collaborate Voice Tools facilitate and promote vocal instruction, collaboration, coaching, and assessment -- perfect for language learning, and creating vocal exercises in any subject.
Voice Authoring embeds an audio announcement recorded by the instructor directly into a course.
Note: The files created using Voice tools are considered User Data and therefore CANNOT be backed up and restored into a new course. If you would like to create a file that can be used in multiple courses/semesters, please contact ITRC.
Note: Many mobile devices do not run Java and therefore the Voice Tools applications will not be accessible on those devices. If you are unsure if your device will run Java you may need to check with the device manufacturer.
This guide will help you to:
Guides for the other Voice Tools:
Student Guides for Voice Tools:
Adding Voice Authoring
To add a voice authoring file to a week/topic block:
- Turn Editing On. For more information please see the Moodle ISU Overview.
- Locate the week/topic where you want to add the voice authoring file.
- Click on the Add an Activity or Resource link. A box will appear showing you all activities and resources.
- Click on the radio button next to Voice Authoring and Click the Add button. You will be directed to the Adding a new Voice Authoring page.
- The Voice Tools applet window will open in a pop-up window. Click Run to allow Collaborate to open. If this window does not appear you may need to disable the pop-up blocker in your browser. For instructions, please see Voice Tools: Browser Pop-up Blockers.
- In the Activity Name text box, Type the name of the voice authoring file. This name will be displayed on the course homepage.
- Recording the message:
- In the Voice Authoring Recorder box, Click on the Record ⚫ button to begin recording your message. Once you have started recording, the Pause ┃┃ and Stop ■ buttons will illuminate.
- Pause ┃┃: Clicking this button will allow you to halt recording temporarily. Clicking the Record ⚫ button will allow you to add onto the existing file.
- Stop ■: Clicking this button will end the recording session. You will not be able to add additional audio to the file once the Stop ■ button has been clicked. Clicking the Record ⚫ button will prompt you to override the existing file.
- Click Play ► to play back the recording.
- Add a calendar event: This feature is not currently enabled within Moodle.
- Common module settings: This section allows you to make the recording visible to students. By default, the item is visible to students once you save it and return to the course. If you wish to hide this item from students, from the drop-down menu choose Hide.
- Restrict Access: This section sets the conditions under which students may interact with this activity. For more information on Conditional Release/Restricting Access, please see Conditional Release.
- When you have completed the necessary fields, Click either the Save and Return to Course button or the Save and Display button.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.