IN BRIEF: Cookie decorating contest winner!
The results are in! At this year’s JHPDA holiday party, the cookie decorating station was a huge hit. Seven postdocs submitted pictures of their decorated cookies, in hopes of winning this year’s Cookie Decorating Contest!
Congratulations to Pankhuri Vyas, who will receive a gift card! Her cookie - cookie #4 (see image to the left) - received 61.5 % of the votes.
Upcoming JHPDA Events
Shuttle Social at City Cafe, Fri., Jan. 27th
Join the your fellow postdocs at the first JHPDA shuttle social of 2017! This month we will be at City Cafe in Mt Vernon! Look for the Yellow balloon.
Where: City Cafe, 1001 Cathedral Street
When: Friday, Jan 27th 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Transportation: JHMI Homewood Shuttle, Peabody Stop
Questions: contact email@example.com
2017 Lunar New Year Celebration, Tue., Jan. 31st
The JHPDA invites you to join us for a celebration of the lunar new year 2017. Food and beverages will be provided.
All postdocs plus one adult guest and children are welcome! (IDs will be checked)
When: Tuesday, Jan 31, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Daily Grind, 3rd floor Miller Research Building
Questions? contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Tax Info session, Thu.,Feb. 9th
Please join the The Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral & Graduate Student Associations for a Tax info session.
Just in time for tax season, a Certified Public Accountant will provide basic information and will answer your specific questions about filing taxes as a student or trainee.
When: Tue Feb 9th 4:00-5:00pm
Where: Greenhouse Cafe, 1st floor Preclinical Teaching Building
Light refreshments will be provided.
Research Presentation club
Hone your presentation skills with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club!
Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice. Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Get valuable tips from an expert in the field on presentation skills!
Don’t have enough data yet? Practice your presentation skills on any area of research of your choice
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Sign up here for the Spring dates!
Questions? Contact Anup Sharma or Madhu Roy
Professional Development Opportunities
The office of postdoctoral affairs:
2017 Mentor-Mentee Awards: Call for applications. Deadline: January 31st.
The Postdoctoral Fellow Mentee-Mentor Awards recognize Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Postdoctoral Fellows and their Mentors for outstanding contributions to science, and exemplifying an exceptional mentor-mentee relationship. Examples of great mentorship may include, but are not limited to, the following: involvement in research activities, annual review with IDP (or similar mechanism), and support for academic and professional development courses. Click here for more details.
Partnering Toward Discovery Lecture series
Please save the dates for future Partnering Toward Discovery Postdoctoral lecture series events: Feb 2nd 2017 and March 30 2017.
Professional Development and Careers Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures - Commercialization Academy (details)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Apply for a Bio-Trac® Training Programs at MedImmune (details) (posted 10/3)
- Access JHU Membership Benefits to the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD) (More Details, Webinar Calendar)
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Effective Science Communication course series (website, schedule)
- Writing Accountability Groups (WAGs)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- Summer 2017 Employment Opportunities: Biotechnology or Genetics Instructor and Teaching Assistant (details)(posted 12/12)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Complete a quick NPA survey and help them examine the future work of the NPA, and about the institutions that train postdoctoral fellows (link) (posted 1/23)
- Register to attend a workshop on ‘Leadership in Bioscience’ organized by the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Applications due Jan 31st (details) (posted 1/23)
- Science Careers Job Fair at AAAS in Boston on Feb 17 (details) (posted 1/16)
- Burroughs Welcome Fund has a number of grant opportunities for postdocs (details) (posted 1/16)
- Leader wanted to serve as co-chair of the National Postdoc Association meetings committee (details) (posted 12/19)
- Postdoctoral Fellow – RPE biology and disease at Wilmer Eye Institute, JHU-SOM. If anyone is interested in this position, please contact Noriko Esumi (Assistant Professor at Wilmer Eye Institute, JHU-SOM) by Email (email@example.com) or phone (410-614-6110).(posted 12/12)
- Become an affiliate member of the National Postdoctoral Association for FREE (details) (posted (9/26)
- HHMI launches funding program for early career scientists from underrepresented groups. (details) (posted 9/26)
- Register to join AWIS Live, to learn more about the work of AWIS and its community & how you can get involved (details) (posted 9/19)
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the Johns Hopkins PDCO jobs board site for updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines.
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
Visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.