

Board of Governors Regular Meeting, June 12, 2022

<https://meet.google.com/xbr-pyei-yjc>

1) **Attendance:** Elif, Jin, Zaina, Kells, Ali, Tuhin, Yassi, Shua, Saman, Thomas, David, Ian, Katie, Owen, Florence

1) **Absence:**

2) **Opening of the meeting**

Meeting opened at 10:04 AM.

3) **Adoption of the agenda**

Agenda adopted.

4) **Announcements**

There were none.

5) **Approval of the minutes of the last meeting**

Minutes approved.

6) **Actions items from the last meeting**

There were none.

7) **Presentations**

There were none.

8) **New Business/Discussion Topics**

a) **Motion RE: CopiEUS Capital Fund Request**

Elif: Motion to change order--copiEUS will come around 10:15.

None opposed, motion to change order passes.

Andrew (Copi EUS manager): This is our space fund application for long term SSF. I will talk about current equipment a bit. Right now we have two Acer Aspire desktops, on the back corner of the room closer to the door. Unfortunately they're really really slow, whenever someone comes by and asks us to print something, it takes us a while since our computers are so slow. Sometimes a 300 page thing, which should take 30 seconds to spool, takes 5 to 10 minutes. Because it's spooling, we can't send other jobs on that computer, it really slows down our work speed. As well, a lot of the time, the print spooler on one of the two computers tends to disconnect or have reliability issues. We also had a Mac Mini, but since Summer 2021 it's been out of service--it stopped working one day. This was originally the sticker printing computer. Once it died, we had to go and put our sticker printing on one of the other two computers, which really put us behind in our sticker printing timeline. By the end of the year, we had like 5 jobs from MAME and 6 ECSESS jobs that were behind. We have have two plotters, the HP Designjet 23200, we've had this one for a pretty long time--just before COVID started the printer was to be repaired, but what ended up happening was that he broke the machine and charged the EUS 2k to get it fixed. Long story short, we paid him for coming in that day, but we ended up resolving that bill of 2k and we broke off our relationship with Calga due to this. We've had a dead plotter is CopiEUS for the last 2-3 years, it's been taking up space. It's really rough, we've had to do a bit of overtime in the mornings/afternoons to get everyone in. Since we're one of the best options for students doing capstone, it's also rough on the students. The second DesignJet has run into some quality issues, many of which have been resolved, but the plotters have not been serviced in over 2 years. Going in to the equipment

request, firstly we'd like to request 3 Dell OptiPlex 7090s, with a grand total of \$5323.38. They would replace all three computers we previously had. It would speed up a lot of the regular printing, color printing, and help us keep up the sticker workflow. We'd also like to request \$800 for plotter repair, for forming relationship with new company, obtain a quote, and get the plotter repaired. If Copi EUS does not end up spending the money by Oct 21st, we'd return the excess amount to SSF. Similarly, we have a \$200 request for new wires, which have been aging and some have broken. Anything we don't use before Oct 21st would be returned to SSF. Grand total of \$6323.38. Alternatively, we can only buy two Optiplex 7090s, as in the strictest sense we can operate off of 2 computers, but after consultations with former managers and Peter, having 3 computers greatly simplifies our workflow and increases efficiency. Whenever we send a job to the sticker printer, we no longer use that computer to reduce the chance of spooler issues, which can stop the entire sticker print, leading to loss of a lot of material. The other two computers would be really nice to have during peak hours.

Flo: Did CopiEUS have 2 or 3 computers before?

Andrew: Before the mac broke down, 3. Between 2015 and Fall 2021 we've always had 3. The third one was originally at the front desk, the one with two monitors so students could open their files a bit easier, and it made us easier to send jobs.

Flo: Since you're asking for 3 of the same, would one be a backup?

Andrew: Part of it is the backup piece, it's nice to have as the connections can be a bit unreliable. Also, during peak times it would be really nice to have that third computer, especially during capstone rush--this year we needed to pause stickers.

Saman: Firstly, have you done a brief analysis of the ROI on the computer? Why that model?

Andrew: Unfortunately I have not performed one yet, one of the things I did when looking for computers is that I consulted with a lot of the old employees as well as Peter--I also talked with Ben of MEDN, since they recently got computers. I think this one aligned a lot with what they got. The tech specs of these computers is really close to what we're looking for, as they can last longer. Another nice this is that these computers are upgradable/repairable if necessary.

Ali: I was wondering if you looked into any alternatives than these computers.

Andrew: We looked into a few alternatives, the OptiPlex 7090s were chosen partially since MEDN got the same computers (unifying infrastructure), and when we looked at alternatives, one of the avenues explored was refurbished computers, and the issue I was finding was computers with the proper specs, as well as worries about reliability. We also looked at a couple other companies/candidates, but we've been consistently looking since the mac mini broke down, and we found that whenever the companies had a sale, it seemed like Dell was a bit more consistent in pricing.

Flo: You may want to reconsider using the same machines as MEDN, as MEDN is different than CopiEUS. I don't think the same amount of power for DTs is required for CopiEUS. I would like to see the other options you are looking at.

Andrew: One of the things we took into account is that because this 7090 is customizable, we were holding closer to the lower end of specs--512 GB SSD to keep costs down and since we do not need a whole TB of storage. We kept it to the lowest-end processor, the only thing we added was an HDMI port because of the monitors. Since it's customizable, we left everything on the lower end since we don't need the same power as MEDN.

Flo: Do you know off the top of your head how large the memory of a file is? E.g. a poster, textbook.

Andrew: It depends, usually it's not terribly big, I want to say around 10 mb. For a regular printing job/poster.

Flo: Let's say 10 mb for a poster, 100 mb for textbook.

Andrew: Yes.

Ali: Can we give suggestions? Or questions only right now.

Flo: My 1 was being unsure as to whether you should use the same machine, the point should be to me not to Andrew.

Owen: You can bring up any points, but a 2 should be related to the original 1.

Ali: I highly suggest you consider building your own computer for this type of thing, these computers are grossly overpriced, even on sale. Let me know if you want help with building them.

Katie: My point was in response to Flo about computers in MEDN maybe not needing to be as advanced--I was looking at the tech specs and it does not look like anything too crazy, most of it matches my laptop which was more expensive than this. I think this is a good price, and since the sale is until June 29th, we need to keep in mind that we should not encourage anyone to get a worse computer--we want them to be operating on the best computer that we can. Also, re: Ali's point, I understand that for people who like to build their own computers that it can be cheaper and more valuable, but it's not something to put on a CopiEUS manager, as it's not necessary for this type of job, as parts are expensive right now.

Ali: You have a point, it would be extra effort for them. Still, there are cheaper alternatives, they could pay someone to do it for them. One other note, as a nonprofit we can get deals from companies, especially Lenovo--I'd suggest looking into them.

Flo: I'd agree with Katie, building your own machine is not super sustainable. It's best to go with a company one, as they have warranties. Re: reducing price, it's already 1k off. One way to reduce price would be to have a lenovo laptop at the front.

Kells: Do you have the spec sheet for the old PCs? I'm trying to see if they're comparable, and where the performance issues came from.

<https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2013/4871/XC-603/DT.SUMAA.002.html>

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp659?locale=en_US

Andrew: One of the issues we had was literally everything. Opening a word doc on a personal laptop is 10 seconds, when we tried to open something, it would be 20-30 seconds, then the spooling would take forever, and when we were trying to run VersaWorks on one of the aspires, it was rough to use. We also use CorelDraw to make the sticker borders, and using CorelDraw was also fairly rough. It would also take 5 minutes to boot up, in those 5 minutes a bunch of people could show up.

Jin: This was literally my job at a company to buy IT equipment. Some people have questions about why you chose certain specs, so if you could have a table showing the new parts, advantages over the old computers, and the reasoning why would be nice. Secondly, I know that the quote is till the 30th, but they'll renew it if you ask. Thirdly, regarding building your own computer, having support is very important, we don't want to call a random person who is not at school right now as that person is the only contact.

Tuhin: Are Macs an option. MacOS itself?

Andrew: We did have a Mac Mini, but it was running Windows. They are an option, but I believe that in terms of Macs, for the price point you are paying more for the UI and the interaction with other Apple products.

Tuhin: The reason I bring that up is that back in November, when I switched over to Mac, the new M1 Macs are pretty solid. The first M1 Mac came out in 2020, and it still blows many i7s out of the water.

Andrew: Another thing that plays into our concern is that historically, Apple has not been very good with things like right to repair, so in the event that something goes wrong we can't do an in house repair.

Tuhin: They did recently lose that, so they have started providing instructions for repairing your device.

David: I wanted to respond quickly to Flo's suggestion that they could go with the alternate option, get two computers and use a less powerful one was a customer facing machine. I'd be skeptical to put them in that situation, and CopiEUS is historically run with 3 machines, if we commit to 2 machines and 1 customer facing machine, that would lead to a two machine system.

Flo: I agree with David, back in 2018 there were only two machines, the third machine did help streamline the process. I'm confident that Andrew did his research, the third one is good to have in case the other two fail.

Yassi: My 1 is along the lines of what we talked about, I did want to ask, especially with stickers being a new initiative, how often do we get sticker orders per day or per week.

Andrew: Firstly, when we had it actually going with stickers, it felt like 1 a week, depending on the week. If a departmental society is looking to do a bunch of stickers for their department, it would be 100 to 200 stickers a lot of the time. It would be really nice to have that one machine sticker printing designation, as there was a fairly high demand during the school year. Unfortunately the BN 20 is slower in terms of media printing. I think the one machine is justified.

Yassi: So you expect it to be used for stickers more?

Andrew: Our backlog this year reached 17 to 18 different sticker orders. I do suspect it'll be used a lot, I had to do a bit of overtime to get stickers done before the end of the winter semester.

David: Could you give us a bit more info on what McGill did over COVID with the connections?

Andrew: We know that they removed one of our phone jacks, which we used for our fax machine; at the same time it seems that none of our connections are working; we were literally just trying to get the machines connected, I don't think we had our plotter connected to a computer until mid-October. Not to put anyone on the spot, but I know they also did stuff in the CUBE, I was not at McGill yet when the pandemic started, so I'm not necessarily sure about the scope of what they did.

Ali: This is more an answer to David, from my understanding, EMF did some updates to their networking and security, which does a blanket ban on certain Wifi chips or anything connected to ethernet--if you try to use a dongle to connect to ethernet it won't work, this was also an issue for Frostbite and the IT office. MAC addresses must be whitelisted. The mitigation is that you must get in touch with the EMF and ask them to whitelist you.

Shua: To add to what Andrew was saying, they kind of just turned off Ethernet jacks during the wiring. It's reasonable that they just completely blocked off Ethernet ports thinking CopiEUS was not using it.

Andrew: Thanks for that information, I'm very interested in following up with people.

Flo: EMF, I used to work for them with recabling, restructuring. They are great people, EMF is their own Engineering IT thing. The person in charge is Nigel, he's very nice. It's unfortunate that you needed to spend months setting things back up, I think David or the Execs or Jim(bo) Nicell can bring up. Andrew, for future advice, EMF is based in MD-5 in front of Schulich. They do need to work on explaining what they did.

Jin: I'm not sure what the purchasing structure is, but I was wondering if there was a dell representative you could reach out to.

Andrew: Great point, one of the concerns I had going through McGill, poking around on the Le James bookstore website, one of the concerns I had was that it seemed like the IT services infrastructure would be directly managed by them. We did not necessarily want to go through McGill to do that. I have a txt of the log of our chat, it's kind of odd that they did not seem to have McGill EUS on file for whatever reason. When I initially requested a quote from them, they first gave me a quote for the UBC EUS. Next, they asked us to provide information to create a new customer profile. If wanted, I can provide the txt of the chat log.

Saman: I'll move away from the computer discussion. For the wires, what kind of wires were you looking at? For the plotter is \$800 usual for everyone, or is it the fee + contingency?

Andrew: A lot of them we are using is USB-A to USB-B or USB-A to some specific printer wire. The 200 is a blanked for us to cover any expenses we incur. Some of the wires that we have dangling into the roof are not working anymore; even the black and whites, one from the B+W printer to the wall is kind of frayed, sometimes we need to try to get the connection. That \$200 is to cover us for the expenses we might incur from new wires, just to stabilize things. The \$800, I got a couple quotes from a couple services in Mtl that were not Calga. There's an initial fee of \$250-300 to come in and take a look, then the fee to repair, which we don't honestly know yet, since we don't now what's wrong with the 3200, and we'll see if they find anything wrong with the 5400. We don't expect the space fund to cover 100% of the fees incurred by plotter repair, we just want some help after the rough year last year.

Flo: What are the wires?

Andrew: A lot of them are USB-A to USB-B. Some are what connects the printers and the plotters to the ethernet network, some are also designated wires e.g. between sticker machine and they computer that's using the sticker machine.

Flo: Is it wires specific to the machine, or general?

Andrew: We're definitely looking into buying more generic wires, they're definitely standardized, but some are a bit specific so it's annoying as we can't easily swap cables between machines. If we find that the generic name brand wires end up costing less than what we had expected, we're providing receipts and also returning any excess money not spent before Oct 21st back to the space fund.

Katie: For CopiEUS, is there a separate account, or did the profits of CopiEUS go directly to our operational budget?

Saman: It goes directly into the budget.

Katie: Maybe there would be benefit in covering the entire repair, as it's a one time thing. Maybe you can apply afterwards, we don't usually take retroactive but the operational budget can always use a bit of relief.

Saman: I would not give any approvals or green lights as of now, as the breakdown of the repairs are unclear, but in due time I don't see an issue. It's a decision that we have to make together.

Andrew: Part of the reason why we don't expect SSF to support the entire bill, is that we would foot the Calga service with our operational budget. Now that we've severed that link with Calga and we're looking for a new plotter company, and the plotters haven't been serviced in 2 years, is why we were looking for Space Fund.

Florence: For the wires, if EMF fucked us over, we can go to EMF and ask if they have similar cables, which could save you a lot of hassle. Also, in terms of getting the connections, you should focus on that in the summer was EMF is the least busy. At the end of the day, we are using a McGill space, so EMF can come to the space and revamp what they want, but we can go to them for the request. Another point I'd like to mention is the plotter service. Both plotters are quite old and discontinued. Joe, the technician in the past, was never the most reliable. You can reach out to previous managers, Cammie Warner, ask her input as to whether you should continue using the current plotters, maybe it's best to look into buying new machines.

Andrew: We'll definitely reach out to EMF, but at the same time we want to request that \$200 since we don't necessarily want to rely on EMF to supply what we want, and also in regards to the plotter.

Flo: I think you should look into buying a new plotter entirely.

Andrew: Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it. I think that a lot of really good points were raised today that we'll take into consideration, overall thanks again.

Andrew has left the call.

David: I am very sympathetic to CopiEUS, as it can put students in a bind if CopiEUS is not working very well. I am willing to trust them to a certain extent if they say they need machines to work well, I want to make sure that they are operating very effectively so that students don't feel they need to print mandatory projects elsewhere.

Saman: Let's not make a rushed decision, but at the end of the day, they only have 17 days to make a decision, we can't table it forever.

Elif: My main concern was not about the computer prices, it was about maintenance of these products. Every time I went to CopiEUS, Peter would come up with another problem to fix. If EUS beep boops think these are good computers I'm okay with them.

Yassi: In the middle of the year last year, CopiEUS had a great sum of money used for repairs of a printer (>10k) which was a great cost on the operational budget. They're preparing for it in advance. I feel like some of the proposed costs are good, and some of them can be tabled, ask them to come back and give their final decision.

David: I wanted to offer support to Flo's point, the maintenance situation, if problems keep coming up we should resolve that. We don't want to be putting out fires constantly. From a management tracking perspective, I would offer that I think I am confident, and it seems like the situation where they had the plotter be fixed and broke off the relationship was probably the right decision.

Flo: Whenever we had the technician come in, it was around 10k. I think that was Joe as a person, and I think that's why he was so rarely requested to come in. Should we increase

the fee that they have? It depends on their decision on the plotters. The 1 I had is the machines, I think the plotter would be a separate motion itself. The \$800 they have to cover the plotter services will work if they don't have time to get a plotter for October. I think we should go with 3 machines. The computers they were using are the same as the Infosys ones, which were already slow in 2014.

Yassi: Quick point of clarification, for the plotter repair fee, is this just for getting new service? Will this cost still occur if we bought new plotters?

Flo: I think the \$800 is more for tech support--if they have issues with plotters they would use the \$800. I guess that would be more of a question for you Shua, did you see where the \$800 came from?

Katie: They're giving themselves leeway to make the repairs, it's basically a blank check to go towards the repair.

Yassi: Thanks everyone for the context on the \$800, but I still think it's good to get exact quotes and details before voting. I think the rest are very detailed, pretty good stuff, but I'd like to know how much the repairs will cost. Maybe it's good for them to get a quote.

Flo: When applying for funding, you're supposed to get the exact amount. I would approve the line item for the new machines, but not the plotter or wire funds as I think they are a bit too vague, unless Shua you're able to get the quote.

Yassi: I know we don't have board meetings that often, but we can vote on some of them on Slack, so if he provides it in the next week we can vote on it soon. We can give it to them as soon as we see the documents.

Elif: I think the computers have more priority, but what I can say on the email is to ask him to provide a specific quote from a specific someone who will perform the repair.

Katie: I think that the problem is that they don't know what's wrong with it, but getting someone to look at it costs that amount of money. Some of the leftover money from the person coming to look at it will go towards the repair. It's a diagnosis--this is the cost for the person to come, diagnose it, and you can't get a quote until someone comes to look at it.

Flo: My concern is not the legitimacy behind \$800, I'd like to know the exact amount for diagnosis.

Katie: I think that's the kind of thing where they only get an invoice for after (per hour).

Flo: In that case, if we gave them the \$800, what is the invoice is \$12000. That would go to their operational budget.

Katie: I don't think there's anything they could give us, it'll be something that depends on the quote. It makes sense to remove it now, encourage them to apply after.

Elif: Motion to strike wires and plotter?

Voting on motion to strike wires and plotter:

Passed by simple majority

Owen: \$5323.38 is the new total to be allocated.

David: I would agree with the motion we just passed to remove the line item, but I would like to ask if we should institutionalize our intention to make sure that they get those services in case contact with EMF falls through.

Flo: Up front, it does not look great regarding help with funding, but this is more for documentation in that we want to get new machines, but in the email Elif will write we will explain that they can reapply with quotes.

David: As long as it's on the record that we can help them with that at the end of the day. I just want to make sure that this does not fall through the cracks in that we bought new computers and the system is not working successfully.

Yassi: At the end of the day, we can leave it up to the service/committee to follow up with the Board, rather than us following up with them.

Flo: The services are now under Shua, so he can follow up too. Like OAP, CopiEUS kind of run themselves. That's the reason the execs are on the board, to keep their committees accountable.

Shua: I just spoke to Andrew, he sent me an invoice from 2017 for fixing one plotter, \$530.

Owen: Voting...

In favor: Saman, Ian, Flo, Shua, Kells, David, Yassi, Zaina, Jin, Shua, Kells

Against: Ali

Abstain: Katie, Tuhin

b) Discussion RE: EUS Wide Channel

Ali: I wanted to bring up this discussion. I'm working on a presentation for the Exec team, I brought up the idea of an EUS-wide slack channel, kind of like a unified place, something that replaces departments and groups' slack channels. They would have their own little space, but there would also be shared spaces within the EUS. Off the top of my head, it could help us find people for committees, garner interest. Any thoughts/opinions? Something that would be useful would be to slowly move away from Google Drive, I've been working on a drive for the EUS, mostly for the DTs. We can also have better documentation, as Google Drive makes it difficult to organize stuff in a super presentable way. Thoughts?

Saman: With respect to the EUS-wide Slack, who would be the moderators/owners, how would it carry forward?

Ali: The moderator would be the VP Comms and the IT directors. The idea is to have one or two channels open to everyone, so there is not a lot of moderation going on, and everything else is dept-specific channels that they manage themselves. Execs and IT Directors would be the workspace admins.

Kells: Have you investigated concerns with department groups losing their autonomy? Do you know if there's any limit/cap on Slack participants, would that incur any additional cost to the EUS?

Ali: For your first question, by default we'll be able to see some of the stuff that depts are doing and saying, but we can reduce the visibility to one or two people for management--by default one account has access to everything, but there are still private channels that can be invite only. If the concern is data being stored in the same space, that could be a problem. If the concern is visibility, that's manageable. If the concern is reliability, I was thinking of going for Slack (max of 250 users for the premium/pro edition for free, after that it's 80% off per user, which might go upwards of 300 users). You could either pay them for nonprofit hosted on their servers, which would cost us \$250 USD for 3 years, so around 100 CAD per year, or we can host it ourselves, which, given that we get funds from Azure and AWS, and the fact that we have some servers, the cost would just be the hardware cost.

Katie: I wanted to jump in on the fact of autonomy taken away from groups. I don't think we can force anyone to use it, but I think for smaller committees it would be good to have it in one place. For smaller committees, it's difficult to make slack a place where people can

work effectively, it's hard to give people a reason to look at it if you don't talk frequently. For smaller groups, it's a good idea to make a bigger space. We can have the departments join, but if they want an additional self-managed workspace, we would not take that away from them.

Flo: Ali, if you could be more specific with the tools you are suggesting, that would be great.

Ali: This discussion is for having a unified EUS-wide channel, not necessarily Slack only. It's called MatterMost, it has pretty much the same features and integrations of Slack (<https://mattermost.com/playbooks/>). I was also mentioning the idea of slowly moving away from Google Drive for hosting our documents and internal information (minutes, etc.). I could mention some alternatives, but there are many out there. The benefits would be to have something a little bit more structured, as it's hard to navigate Google Drive, the permissions are a bit tricky to handle, and it would be nice to host our own data ourselves. It's always nice to have the privacy and everything, but from the point of view of how we're getting these services for free from Google, but there's nothing in the agreement that guarantees this service to be there. If there are any possibilities, I think it would be ideal.

David: We could use a networked drive hosted for computers, a lettered drive. Accessing minutes of previous meetings, voting records, motions could all be extremely standardized in how they're stored.

Ali: What you probably have is Azure ActiveDirectory, they charge way too much for it. The issue is that the networking part, the goal is to have something that can be accessed from anywhere. Azure ActiveDirectory would be a bit cumbersome to get set up, and some issues can arise from different devices. Being able to go to drive.mcgilleus.ca in a web browser would be a bit easier, and it's a lot easier to set up something that has a web interface.

Yassi: I really like the idea of having all involved EUS people on one platform, as it's hard to reach people across many platforms. I'm worried about how we can encourage everyone to get on the same platform. In terms of the drive, all your points sound good to me; as it's a new thing and we have a lot of people, this will be a long-term project, as right now we have a good structure within committees using drive and regular permissions.

Katie: Correct me if I'm wrong Ali, but this is kind of more of a feeler to see if you'd be interested in it. For the EUS-wide platform, I think everyone is on board with that. It would be a project and you could look more into it; making a list or a document or a bit more info, rather than deciding today what platform we could switch to, it would be discussed in special projects or IH committees.

Kells: The one thing I see with Google Calendar is how well the integrations work; a lot of my committees use a lot of Google services. Myself as a committee, I'd be super hesitant to switch that up unless there is a super tangible benefit.

Ali: I brought it up because from my perspective it looks like a great idea, I want to get others' perspectives. Almost all of this integrates with Google Drive, they have integrations if you want to log in to your Google Drive and Google Calendar; with MatterMost you have a really good point.

Flo: I'm not really for this motion, I think Google Drive is fine. There should be restriction access. Back in the day, all of us would only go in from the Board emails. I don't think using MatterMost or any new platform would solve any issues. Google Drive is fine, it's just a question of making sure documentation is standardized. If we use a new platform, you can

still get lost in the documentation, especially since we have years of documentation in Google Drive. Have you asked committees how they would feel about a new platform, or have you had committees complain to you?

Ali: I understand there are diminishing returns to try to move to a new platform, Google Drive is, for most purposes, fine. Our reliance is not necessarily super healthy in that we are getting this for free and they could take it away at any moment. The goal is to start with the drive, later on look into other services to take control with. Again, I can do some more research and look at possible alternatives. For your second point, I haven't heard any committees complain about Google Drive, but from an IT standpoint, I get data on that side. People are rarely using the search function; there's an analytics part that tells you how effective your search is. I feel like if we had something a bit more user friendly in terms of positions, that would be better. The idea here is to reduce our reliance on Google Drive, and find something that's more manageable. We do not pay for GSuite, we get the free nonprofit pricing.

Flo: I don't think the fact that they might start charging us is a reason to run away. I never use the G Suite search bar, nobody really uses the search bar, it's not really a good source or understanding of how GSuite is used you still must be very careful about what you are sharing. I don't think we should leave Google Drive.

Ali: It used to be like that before we got GSuite, we used to have our own Drive. For reference, with our current user count, if we were to purchase the current

Yassaman : have a new training for IT because of COVID we've lost a lot of administrative knowledge such as organization, making sure that organization and documentation is streamlined and easy to find is something that we need to spend effort on

Florence: it's going to be adopted it needs to be a tradeoff so the IT suite there are reasonable discounts collect the pricing from there we can have a better idea what it will look like.

9) Reports

a) BoG Committees

i) [Finance Subcommittee - Katie Younger](#)

Katie: No major updates, we got our funds from OAP lite, onboarding. We have started meeting with OAP and we also plan to set up a meeting with Frosh in June to review their summer budgets so we can get ahead of budget review in July. We have another part 2 of our OAP Meeting on June 20th, I know Saman is also working on a project. I don't think we got super far, but if you want to present it go ahead Saman.

Saman: One major problem that I found with the way that SSF and funds are structured is that there is no real process to determine who has spent what. I created a demo to fix that. I also added approval emails sent, sometimes they did not receive an email. They'll be filling this out at or before the meeting, where they can enter the amount allocated, delta will automatically be calculated, and I also did a little description of each section. If the group receives no funding, it'll be not approved. The delta will be red if less than expected, blue if same as expected. At the bottom, there's total allocation and amount available, I also have a comment here saying that the funds director would be in charge of the sheet, we can handle the permissions by using protected ranges--you can protect certain columns, cells, or the entire sheet. I can confirm that the finance director cannot edit this sheet as

I removed permission. Groups would need to go through item descriptions, cost, Nexonia. If they've written it here, only then will approve the expense. Then, this will go from awaiting approval to rejected or approved.

Flo: This tracker would be after the SSF meetings, right?

Saman: Yes. The regular SSF process will go on. Essentially, this would not replace anything, it would make it more cohesive to know who spent what where (as opposed to the extant honor system). I noticed that SSF is not every well documented, as at the end of the day, they do get a lot of questions with regards to funding. We can centralize it like this.

Flo: Before we send out the tracker officially, it would be cool if you could make the layout stick to the EUS branding a bit better.

ii) Institutional Health Subcommittee - Elif Kurkcu

Elif: Basically we had two meetings, one of them was to transition Flo and David into IH. We are still working on the McGill MOA and PPO MOU. For the next meeting, one of the PPO chiefs will come to talk more about the PPO MOU, other than that we are just talking about the Fall semester and how the board will take on their projects, as well as some legal stuff.

iii) Special Projects Subcommittee - Ali Tahmasebi

Ali: Nothing much from my side, just looking to set up a meeting this week to get the ball rolling.

iv) OAP - Saman Gholam

Saman: Would everyone like me to share my screen and show the OAP Lite budget? I'll share it. First, I'll cut to the chase. We have a 21k deficit. We took a decent amount of time to look over the mistakes we made, what affected our sales to improve. As we can see, we only had ~50k in revenue, which was 25 from our Square terminals, and 25 from cash or possibly non-square terminal. We had our ticket raffle, raised 770 from that. Green fund offered us 2.4k, were not sure of status of capital fund. A lot of people were drinking seltzers, and we were not selling as much beer as we usually do. Sound, stage, security were pretty standardized except for food, which had a larger incurred cost than anticipated. We will not have to incur as much cost there, it's around 4k of food that will go toward next OAP budget. Fencing amount per unit also increased, we're looking at other option. I'll stop here and ask for questions.

Saman: They could go in more detail, but there isn't much else to be discussed. Reasoning is demand at the end of the day. It would not be as constructive a discussion as we could have. It's all very standard on what they were accounting for. A lot of things that have discrepancies, increases in materials, prices, was not well accounted for. The numbers were very conservative.

Is this the final?

Samah: They say it was proposed but it's the final report.

Yassaman: From the last board meeting I contacted OAP but with the very large deficit the whole point was accountability and enabling them to explain, as we all have access to the budget and have been talking about it a lot - is that accountability happening?

Saman: It would mostly be Gareth and Lianne here, who would be saying the same thing. I asked Lianne and she couldn't make it, neither could Gareth. If you want them to come for the next meeting I have no issue with that.

Katie: The main cause of overspending was underestimating in the budget, but I also want to draw attention to the fact that in some cases it's impossible to stay within the set budget, but the fact that they spent 2k more on construction, which is within their control, I wanted to draw attention to that as well. Sometimes when you underestimate the budget it's unavoidable but there are avoidable things.

Yassi: They did not intend to go over the budget, with the green fund they actually made \$400. I want us to figure out some way of them giving us detailed updates and them being held more accountable constantly.

Saman: We've met with the execs once, we want to meet again to discuss mitigation strategies. We also need to hear the opinions of the subcom with regards to our expenses. Although this number is not great, this is a good opportunity to go up from here, we can't possibly go down. Although the deficit sucks, we can only hope that this won't be repeated. Now that this happened, people are a bit more aware. I'd like to highlight that I want to keep the financial wellbeing of the EUS in mind first and foremost. I'll be making sure that it does not happen again. Moving through the other line items, they're pretty self-explanatory.

Kells: For me, the deficit is a big part of the discussion. One of the reasons I wanted to have the managers here, at a GM as opposed to Finance subcom is that there are some broader cultural applications, discussions with Gareth as to manager's place in EUS. As for me there's something more to talk about.

Flo: I wanted an explanation of the line item, why did we go over by 2k.

Saman: I'll get back on why it was 6.7k, I don't remember off the top of my head. They did mention something about a collaboration with Guru.

Flo: If you could maybe just clarify.

Saman: I will, from my understanding, this should have been from Guru, I'll reconfirm that.

Flo: Thanks, I'm confused by the notes.

Elif: I love that you're explaining these, and it's very much needed, but I would be more inclined to have the outgoing OAP managers on the board meeting before the budget review.

Saman: I'll be sure to ask the outgoing ones if they can attend. We've talked about the lite budget a couple times already, but there wasn't much to say about it the second or third time.

Flo: Point of inquiry. Do we usually cover Frosh as well?

Elif: You are correct, the Frosh was in it, but we realized last year that it was mandatory that OAP gives updates throughout the summer, and Frosh will start coming as of July.

b) Chair - Elif Kurkcu

Elif: Board is thriving. Not many chair updates for now, we're looking to switching to in person meetings starting Fall. The last 2 meetings of this summer would be remote. Right now, Frosh is the only committee doing hybrid, which works. Transitioning into that would not be that much of a problem, and most of us will be in Montreal in September. And free coffee!

Flo: Usually in the past, every summer there was a lawyer who would come talk about the roles. That usually happens in July after the budget review.

Yassaman: I was looking into the minutes of the lawyer meeting, is that only for the first Board that was formed.

Elif: From my understanding, it started when the Board was formed. I'm assuming it has been a thing, it's so that we understand what the Board is from the legal side.

Flo: For more about the document that Thomas just shared, that's not the very first one, it was right before the pandemic. Usually it happens every year.

c) Senator - David Vaillancourt

David: Firstly, the new VPUA, I find him very compelling and he speaks with great precision, he is very motivated and has done his research on what he is talking to you about. I am working with him on a few issues over the summer that are being probed, we are hoping to hit the ground running if and when these things come up. We have a few meetings with members of the administration, head of OSD and head of student housing. I'll explain the things that we discussed. First one being understanding the impact of the elimination of the harm reduction policy. Given that the floor fellow strike right now is related, very interested in probing how this has affected McGill students and reaching out to advocate for a new or reinstatement of the old policy. It looks like the decision to overturn it came from McGill BoG, not senate, so it will be difficult. The other hand will be understanding OSD's scope, limitations, and trying to help them. Definitely have some issues that could fall under the OSD umbrella so we can centralize these services, e.g. COVID accommodations, notetakers. The reason I was excited to work with that is that CopiEUS might be involved with OSD as an alternative to notetakers. This requires copyright, funding, etc. conversations. This is where notes, prepared by professors, or drafted by human or AI could be distributed e.g. free to OSD students and as a paid option for normal students who might contribute to CopiEUS's profits. This is very early stages, and needs a lot of feasibility discussion. I intend to work with Shua, OSD services on this. I have been working on action items of committees related to that.

d) Council- Shua Kalmanson

Shua: Council will restart in September. There's a tentative date for council retreat, ~~Sept 16th to 18th~~ Sept 16th to 18th. I'll put it in the eng events calendar.

Yassi: Shua can you clarify if it's that week or the week after? I think it might be the week after.

Shua: You're right, it would be the 23rd to the 25th. This was the old date.

e) VP Finance - Saman Gholami

Saman: I have a big update. In light of me saying that OAP wants to make changes, one of the changes that I decided to hopefully implement. I bring forth to you guys today a sponsorship revamp of how we reach out to companies: one email to one company and if it does not work out we say that it doesn't work out. What I have here is a sample of emails. The main reason I would like to do this is that I think we can get a lot of value from reaching out to people, and looking at the corporate relations director under me. This is the way I decided to structure it, I'm currently working as a business development intern so I can ask my managers and coworkers for the best way to reach out to companies. It's just a template, but I'm here to ask whether implementing zoom info is a good idea. I have a whole master lead list here that I constructed in 30 minutes using zoom info: a repository for contacts at different companies who want to reach out to. I am thinking that instead of

having committees sponsorship director reach out to one person, we have the CRD system with Tier 1 (direct), Tier 2, and Tier 3 leads. There is a lot of information here, we have leads from New York, Toronto, etc. Canadian leads would be of interest for us. We could use these leads to acquire more funding. That's the revamp that I want to introduce, split by banks, supermarkets, etc. I feel like we should be doing a lot more outreach than we are now. Zoom info is not zoom. It's a repository of information for clients, customers, generating leads. I would show you the UI, but I don't have access off this computer. I want to focus on the general process I explained just now.

Flo: I was looking at the website, it would be nice if there were a page specifically for sponsors, as a "sponsor" I'm not sure what "I" would get out of it. E.g. this is what we have done in the past, etc.

Saman: For the first email, we want to attract them to what our ideas really are. What I've gauged from our previous emailing, a large body of text lowers the click rate and opening of email. We are almost ready to launch our new website. We will attach it here and include a picture of OAP. The main goal is to set up a meeting with these potential sponsors. This is the best template I have come up with in collaboration with OAP, AJ, etc. Right now, this is what we have come up with. We also have a little mock pitch at the bottom here.

Katie: I guess I was going to say I agree with Flo, I like the template a lot, it's very engaging, but you use the abbreviation OAP when it's not explained anywhere what it is. A sentence explaining it would be nice because OAP, everyone who has been to McGill will know what it is. I like this, are you asking for a meeting? Or is it implied that they will respond?

Saman: They will be the ones to respond to you. We also want to make sure that the person we are emailing is the correct person, there's a bit of autonomy toward how the person can use it. When we ask for things when reaching out to sponsors, they click away, so the first email being vague is on purpose. I want the email to focus on what's in it for them. The fact that we are already promoting it to 30k attendees is good.

Katie: My only experience is through CodeJam, where we pitched it from the email, but it's a different type of company.

Saman: If some things have worked before from multiple committees, let me know so I can revise!

f) Executive Committee - Yassaman Bassiri

Yassi: The new exec team is fully onboarded, we've been meeting regularly every week. The EUGE and EUSF funding proposals from last year are being taken care of by Sep, the last VP Academic. The current VPA, Louis, is working on an Arduino project, right now he's gauging interest from the faculty. After we have a solid proposal we'll be coming to the board to talk about funding numbers, pitch it fully. New services for employees will be added to payroll. We're still looking for a DT and Clubs director. Comms has finalized the handbook, and we've also applied for funding, as we're getting a bit more issues of the handbook than last year. MEC dates tentatively set for Sep 12 and 13. In terms of the internal report, VPI will be coming soon to pitch frosh and give updates, they're looking for a 5 day frosh. The next summer Blues is July 8th and hosted by Frosh. Socials committee is back after 2 years which is very exciting.

Flo: Why would the VP External like to host CR1 at McGill?

Yassi: One of the main goals from this year is to build and strengthen connections to other schools. I can ask for more details, but he's still putting together his pitch.

Flo: McGill has never done it since it's too expensive to do it downtown (e.g. hotels). Because McGill is the most expensive place to host CRs in general, look at the budget first. I would double check in the event that we run a deficit.

Yassi: I'll check with Benoit and ask him to reach out.

g) President - Yassaman Bassiri

Yassi: Insurance is done, we don't have CRO or equity commissioner yet. We've had our first meetings with MESC with Kayla, ready to roll for the upcoming year.

10) Next Meeting

a) July 3rd, 2022 10 AM

Elif: Hopefully the budget review will be 2 weeks from the next meeting.

11) Closing of the Meeting

Meeting closed at 1:15 PM