Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 18th September 2018 at 10.30am in the Bowls Pavilion

Present

David Palmer   (chairman)    Jim Daniels (secretary)   John Herbert    Colin Nunn (treasurer)  

Terry Arthur   Keith Collyer  Ray Daniels    Malcolm Duncan   Paul Marston Bob Norman Margaret Nunn  John Tilley.

1

Apologies for absence –  Godfrey Sheen (President)   Mary Stearn.

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 4th April 2018 were not presented to the meeting.

3

Chairman’s report

Finals weekend disappointing due to the weather.  The club has lost a few members especially ladies.  The County Triples League was reorganised and should be a more level playing field next season.

Maintaining the green was important and if a team is withdrawn then fund raising will continue to be essential.

Thanks to all for support.  David would not stand as chairman at the AGM.  

4

Treasurer’s report

£7732 in the bank account  (£9328 in 2017).   Not an exact comparison as some bills paid and revenue received outside the dates used for comparison.

Subscriptions £1645 (£2060 in 2017).  Fees £3041 (£3590 in 2017). Ground costs £6484 (£5802 in 2017).

Water bill considerably higher.

Approximately £700 down on last year.

5

Reports from Captains

                                      P        W        D        L        SD        Pts

BH – John                15        4        1        10        -54        29

John disappointing results – matches often clashed with other league matches.

BHM – Keith                11        8        1        2        93        48

Not many put down their names to play but the BHM had a good season.  Keith indicated that he would not captain in 2019.

CD4 – Paul                20        12                8        135        77

Missed promotion by one point. Thanks to Ray for captaining the team in Paul’s absence and also to the division 5 players who played.  Paul intended to continue with the internet system for selecting teams much to Ray’s delight.  You can’t please them all.

CD5 – Ray                18        8                10        -250        52

Enjoyable season.  Players must remember to put their names down on the notice board for availability.

County – Bob                14        0                14        -525        10

If winning is the criterion for a good season then say no more!  Next season may be easier now that division one and two have been sorted.  Thanks to the core of players who played every game.

E&D – Ray                   22        9        1        12        -91        63

Best season for results for many a year.

 

6

Secretary’s report

11 players retired or not played this season Godfrey, Sheila, Mary, Edgar, June, Peggy, Gordon, Sue, Pat, Trevor and David W.  Bridget has played once.  Pat played twice for E&D when we have been short. Peggy  came along to support and help with Ely & District teas.

We have recruited 4 new players.

-----------

2019

Discussion about possibility of withdrawing a team – but which one?  Either the County Triples or one/both BH teams.

AGREED to ask members at the AGM which teams they are prepared to play in.  If enough members are willing to play in each team then we not need withdraw any team.

----------

The C&D Committee are proposing two minor rule changes (changes in bold):

GILBERT CUP

After the rink score cards are laid face down and numbered, by the visiting Captain, a coin will be tossed to determine which rink plays an extra end.  This will be played at the first named club in the draw.  This extra end shall only count in the event of a tie after 18 ends and shall be played in the same way as the first end:

A rule to cover all League and Gilbert Cup games:         A coin shall be tossed to determine which team shall play first. The captain winning the toss may put the opposition in to play first.

The C&D Committee are also proposing that players be allowed to wear shorts.  

The secretary has sent an amendment: (Seconded by City) (unlikely to be approved)

“......or grey bowls tailored shorts, or Bowls England Approved shorts”  in all league and competition matches.

Hedge

The secretary has asked Buchans to quote to cut back the cotoneaster and pyracantha on the western side to the top of the fence.  He would also ask for a quote to cut back the conifer hedge.

------------

Honours Board.  The secretary  would ask Edgar if he wishes to continue.

-----------

Winter Cut

Chris Hunt will cut the green throughout the winter every two weeks.  The green keepers will cut the alternate two weeks.  Chris would be asked to quote to visit every two weeks throughout the bowls season (at present he does once a month).

The Ransomes machine had to go in for repair.  We took it to the “Gogs” on Chris’ recommendation.  We were not happy at the state in which it was returned to us.  We shall continue to use Pecks unless anyone has a better suggestion.

I shall ask Chris about the possibility of buying a new machine.

-------------  

Club Competitions

Three competitions were lost this year because of the lack of lady entries.

I would like to suggest that we have one other competition to make up for the loss and give members more opportunities to take part.

If however we get more lady entries then we can revert to the mixed, ladies singles and pairs.

  • One competition we could try: 2-4-2 pairs but played to C&D rules.
  • Another:  a pairs where all the bowls within a yard count – as per our Bank Holiday Monday Drive.
  • One idea:  if we have 16 members entering the singles I may run four groups of four giving everyone a minimum of three games.  As you know in a knockout if you lose first round that’s it.  
  • PLEASE ensure that you are available to play both Saturday and Sunday of the Finals weekend before entering.  Our Finals weekend is held on the Bank Holiday weekend at the end of August.

------------

It was pleasing to see members coming along to support teams that they do not play in eg div 5 players watching div 4 and vice versa.  

FYI we had five players who reached C&D semi finals and two reached the finals this year.  

7

Web report – nothing to report

8

AOB

120 Club will start October 6th draw for numbers October 4th.

Bonus Ball to start in January.

Wednesday afternoon League – poorly attended.  Agreed not to continue with this league.

Recommendation for AGM:  All matches to be £3 both home and away and the annual subscription be raised to £50.

Suggestion for AGM:  the club has coloured shirts/tops.

Pre season - The secretary would arrange pre season games between two club teams eg CD4 v CD5/ED.

Bob was happy to be nominated as chairman.

Dinner requirements and payment needed

BH – John T offered to stand as captain if another BH team is entered into the B H League.

The meeting ended 12.15pm.

Signed.......................................................................................


Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 29th August 2017 at 10.30am in the Bowls Pavilion

Present

David Palmer   (chairman)    Godfrey Sheen (President)   Jim Daniels (secretary)   Colin Nunn (treasurer)  

Terry Arthur   Ray Daniels    Malcolm Duncan   Pat Godden      John Herbert    Margaret Nunn  Mary Stearn John Tilley.

 

1

Apologies for absence – Keith Collyer Bob Norman Paul Marston.

 

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 1st June 2017 were approved and signed as a true record.

 

3

Chairman’s report

“Since the last committee meeting we have had a mixed set of results in League games, and successful finals days.

 

Also we must thank the ladies who tend the flowers and shrubs around the green, and also Gordon Butler who has rejuvenated the benches around the green.

 

Regarding fixtures; we had occasions when there were two games in a week, C&D4 had three and C&D5 had three, in August C&D5 had six games scheduled. This puts off some of our older players who want to play just one game a week, it needs to be addressed by the League committee, as the County seem to dictate our fixtures.

 

Within Division 5 since I became captain, we have lost twelve players for various reasons, and Doug Brooklyn and Don Freeman are doubtful for next year.

 

Later we will be discussing the future of the leagues in which we play, but the finances must be a prime consideration. This year C&D5 played 18 games and the income will be £63 for each team place per year, or to put it another way £756 per year, which equates to about 12.5% of the green costs.

 

On a personal note, I have been Captain of C&D5 for about six seasons and feel it is now time to step down. I want to thank all members who have supported me, but this season has been the most challenging. Last year I did not need to call on the other Division, but this year have needed to fill fourteen places (ONE GAME). The club has an aging membership, and some have hinted that next year they will only be playing indoors. This will put a strain on available players, and club finances if they elect to be purely social members. Without younger members the club will decrease in membership and in the not too distant future may struggle to exist.”

 

Jim would write thanking Jenny and Linda for looking after green surrounds and Gordon for painting the seats.

4

Treasurer’s report

£8394 in the bank account  (£7216 in 2016).  Thanks to Ray for his fund raising.  Fund raising this year has been £2075 - in 2016 (including concert) £2318.  Subscriptions almost same as in 2016.

Finances look better than at this time last year. Note:  green maintenance costs over £6,000 per year.

Colin thanked Terry for his assistance.

 

5

Secretary’s report

Agreed to bring the AGM forward to Wednesday 18th at 7pm  so that we can inform BH, C&D Leagues before their AGM’s of our intentions for 2018.

Royal Society of Chemistry enjoyed their session.  Thanks to Arn and Barry for helping.

Having let us down during the early part of the season Pecks finally repaired the “old” lawn mower satisfactorily.  I am now happy to continue having our machines serviced by Peck’s.  Bob W and N have repaired the ATCO.  Jim, John, Paul and Bob W would consider buying a new machine if necessary in which case Jim would ask the Parish Council for funding.  At present the “old” machine is working very well.

Paul Marston has been looking after the CD4 team since July 1st after Barry stepped down from the role.

Crockery etc.  In the changing room there is a box of the green cups and saucers plus other ancillary items.  Jim would take to Emmaus.

Bowls size 5.  We have a good selection of bowls in the changing room but probably more size 5 bowls that we need.  Most people use a smaller size.  Advertise them at Chesterton Indoors?

Sponsorship – in abeyance.  (Jim had not written to Richard Pepper about a sign on the shed).

 

6

Proposals for Season 2018 to be put to our AGM

It was agreed that as the number of active playing members was decreasing the club would need to withdraw one league team.

Various options were discussed including playing more friendlies on Saturday afternoons.

The following proposal would be put to the AGM:

·        We withdraw Milton A from the Cambridge and District Bowls League.

The C&D league committee were trying to find out the level of interest for a three rinks of three C&D league. The secretary would inform the league of Milton’s interest.  John T volunteered to be captain of this team.

If this new league were not to happen then the AGM would consider applying to put a mixed team in the BH Pairs League and possibly also another men’s team.

Noted that Paul was happy to continue as C&D captain.  Ray volunteered to be vice captain.

 

 

7

AOB

Internet:  Malcolm had noticed unusual message on the web.

100 Club – Ray had already sold 80 tickets for the new competition.

Club flag – not being used.  Godfrey was disappointed that it was not flown at half mast when Lorna died.

Friendly – request from Southery – AGM to decide.

Supplies – Godfrey felt that it was time to hand this task over to someone else.  This includes buying milk, cleaning materials, lavatory paper etc.  Thanks to Godfrey for what he has done for 25+ years.

It was suggested that the captains could bring their own milk.

Tea and biscuits or food?  To be discussed at AGM.  It would be lovely if non players could help with tea and biscuits – if taken in turn we would probably need to do it just once.  For E&D games Ray often left himself as reserve so that he could make tea and wash up.  Jim and Peggy also helped.

John T would try to organise some “ladder” games throughout September.

Working party Monday September 11th at 10am to help trim back the hedge.

Wednesday afternoons – advert to be put in the Village View and a notice on the gate advertising Wednesday afternoon games.

 

 

The meeting ended at 12 noon.

 

 

Signed.......................................................................................

 

Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 1st June 2017 at 10.00am in the Bowls Pavilion

Present

David Palmer   (chairman)    Godfrey Sheen (President)   Jim Daniels (secretary)   Colin Nunn (treasurer)  

Terry Arthur  Barry Brooklyn  Keith Collyer  Trevor Crow   Ray Daniels    Malcolm Duncan   Pat Godden      Bob Norman   Margaret Nunn  John Tilley.

 

1

Apologies for absence – John Herbert  Mary Stearn.  

 

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 23rd February 2017 were approved and signed as a true record.

 

3

Chairman’s report – Bank Holiday Drives were successful – thanks to Margaret and others for providing food.

 

4

Treasurer’s report

£6428 in the bank account - £700 more than at this time in 2016.  Thanks to Ray for his fund raising.  Subscriptions almost same as in 2016.

Full Members    48

Social members 10

Junior members   2

AWA Water Rate – Colin was in discussion with AWA about a significant increase.  Len’s original file detailed what percentage the bowls club should pay.  (Jim has subsequently found a file – is this the one?)

 

5

Secretary’s report

Already this season we have struggled to field teams.  In the CD4’s second home game we had to use three players from div 5 two of whom had never played before.  CD5 also played one short in a game –  late sickness – David unable to find replacement.

Ray played an E&D cup game against Longstanton with only one lady – one lady withdrew – too late to find a lady replacement.

We should now seriously consider withdrawing a team from one of the leagues next season.  I don’t want to be pessimistic but will we be able to fulfil all our fixtures this season even?

To be kept under review.

 

Election here June 8th.

 

Royal Society of Chemistry are playing from 5.30 - 7.30pm on Wed June 14th.  Any help with showing them what to do and/or making cup of tea would be appreciated.  I have asked for £50 from them.

Pecks of Ely have had our “old” lawn mower for over six weeks – we paid £600+ to have this repaired in December – various excuses from them as to why but I hope to have it back soon!!  I think we should look elsewhere for maintenance of our machines.  Colin agreed to talk to Pecks.

White Horse Garden Party – bowling for a pig.  Colin, David and Trevor i/c.

President’s Day Trumpimgton – Jim would email to see who would like to play.

 

6

Request from University Press to ground Share

·                 U Press have approached a few clubs

·                 Ground sharing does not work amicably in Cambridge with Coleridge/Romsey and Abbey/Post Office.  David made a comment that Abbey are not happy with Post Office.  Post Office have made similar comments to Jim in the past about Abbey

·                 If Press play at Milton are there enough days to fit in their games as well?  This season they would have had 8 days in May, 7 in June, 15 in July and 10 in August – 40 in total

·                 If they joined us they would have to pay 50% of the maintenance costs - £3,000+ This is the one plus side – our expenditure would be halved at a stroke

·                 All maintenance would be controlled by us

 

It was agreed not to meet with them for exploratory talks.

 

7

AOB

Finals Weekend Saturday/ Sunday August 26th and 27th.  Colin to be i/c of BBQ.

Fish and chips on Saturday – Jim to ask Roger.

Biscuits - £50 voucher offered by Tesco had already been spent.  Captains would get their own biscuits. Godfrey to continue buying biscuits for E&D team plus all sugar and milk.

Steps with handrail to access the green – Bob N would discuss with Edgar.

Indoor/Outdoor league at Chesterton during Winter – all games are played at 6pm.

Tea and biscuits after games working well – though many Barrington players did not stay – was it the lack of food or because they lost??

Internet:  Malcolm warned about possible hacking – do not click on email links if you are unsure of them.

 

 

 

The meeting ended at 11.15am.

 

 

 

Signed.......................................................................................

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 11th November 2016 at 19.00 in the Bowls Pavilion

 

Present

 

David Palmer  (chairman)  Jim Daniels (secretary)    Colin Nunn (treasurer)  and 33 members  

 

1

A minute’s silence was observed in memory of the three members who had passed away this year Max, Len and most recently Lorna.

 

Apologies for absence – Sheila Barkham  Dennis Chapman  Dave Ellum  Les Fry  June Frost  

Barrie & Rosemary Fuller  Barry Jefferson  Margaret Nunn  Ruth Overall  Margaret Sandford  Godfrey Sheen  Lawrence Squires.  

John Tilley for lateness.

 

2

Minutes of the AGM held on 11th November 2015 were approved and signed as a true record.

3

Chairman’s Address

Although we were did not have a successful bowling season we “do our best” and  try to ensure that everyone gets a game as per the Club’s Policy.  May Bank Holiday competitions were well attended.  Good attendance at the Finals weekend.  Thanks to all who attended the annual lunch.  Please keep entering the club competitions.

 

4

Secretary’s report

Teams 2017 – 15 teams in BH mixed (14 games) and 21 in men’s (20 games).  As no ladies were willing to commit to playing in the mixed league it was agreed to withdraw this team from the league.

Report of C&D AGM :  Proposals to allow clubs to change dates of games were not carried.  

Newnham announced that they would provide tea and biscuits only after games and would not hold a raffle.  Some members at C&D AGM felt that the social side of bowls would be lost

Proposal:  In season 2017 Milton Outdoor Bowls Club will provide just tea/coffee and biscuits at home County and C&D Bowls matches and will not run a raffle.  We acknowledge and accept that clubs may therefore wish to do likewise when playing Milton at home.   Carried.

County – AGM Saturday December 3rd 10.30am – Trevor and Bob N would attend.  Proposal to be ratified (just a formality):  fours league to consist of three rinks of four; triples league – no change.  Ely & District AGM December 2nd – proposal to split the two afternoon division into North and South (to reduce travelling) – winners of each league to play Champion of Champions on Finals Day.   Our section would have Bottisham A/B Burwell Cottenham A/B Girton  Longstatton Milton Mitchell Lodge Newmarket A/B Willingham.

North section:  Chippenham Ely Beet Ely City Fordham A/B Haddenham Isleham  Littleport A/B  Mildenhall  Soham A/B Stretham.

Competitions  – The secretary had asked alll the finalists this year whether they would prefer a trophy or a M&S voucher.  9 asked for a voucher 3 a trophy.   AGM agreed to continue with this policy.

Ladder – how can we encourage more players to take part?  Should we continue to run this competition?  Four members continued to play ladder games throughout September and the green bowled beautifully.  

Scoring system 4-3-2-1 would be used in the first May Day Bank Holiday drive.

Nigel Boy Syer (& Leon James) concert 26th November – offers of mince pies received.  Hall to be set up at 4pm.  Colin and Margaret in charge of refreshments.

Fund raising: had gone well: whist drives, bonus ball, quiz night (next quiz 4th March 2017) – agreed not to hold a jumble sale.

Friendly against Stretham Saturday 3rd June at Milton 2.30pm – cream tea after the game.  Paul to be i/c.

 

5

Wednesday afternoons report

Fewer members than last year.  Disappointing response.

6

Green keeper’s report

“I ended my report last year by saying, “This coming year could well be my last year as greenkeeper, so I am looking for an apprentice.”

That time has now arrived and from the AGM I am retiring as Greenkeeper. There are now more members helping with the green who are quite capable of continuing in the role. If no one comes forward to be greenkeeper then there are basically two options. The green is managed by committee with joint responsibility or Chris Hunt of Progreen is asked to cut through the summer as well as winter; spring and autumn. I have been pondering on the question of retiring over the last 5 years and now I feel the time is ripe.

 

I will arrange for the mowers to be serviced by Pecks of Ely as usual.

Although we were considering looking for a newer mower to replace the Ransome Certes which we have managed to keep going this season.

 

The green was cut lower than normal and the result was a much faster bowling surface. I know Jim thinks we should go back to a slightly higher cut. What do you think?

 

The hedges will need a cut in the spring by Buchans. They have been a bit neglected this year. Edgar has offered to get one of his contacts to remove the Berberis bushes, which would be an improvement as they are encroaching on the surround.

 

My thanks go to all those that have helped cut the green and manage the surrounds. Colin & Margaret Nunn have done sterling work on keeping the surrounds neat and tidy but they do need more volunteers to help with this work.

 

Chris Hunt of Progreen has given good service again this year and I recommend that we continue using him as our contractor.  He put the green to bed on 30th September.”

 

BOB WATERS (Greenkeeper)

 

Jim and John with Paul would manage the green.  Bob and Chris of Pro Green would act as consultants.   A member had felt that the green was cut too short in 2016.  The team would monitor the height of the cut as the season progresses in 2017.

The hedges would need to be cut in the Spring by Buchans.

Thanks to all who cut the green and helped with the surrounds. Colin needs more help with cutting the banks.

The chairman thanked Bob for his service – much appreciated (applause).

Agreed to make Bob a Life Member. (Note: we made Bob a Life Member at the 2015 AGM.  Does that make him a Double Life Member?)

 

7

Treasurer’s report

Expenditure for the year in 2015 was £1066 more than income – in 2016 income exceeded expenditure by £203.

Whist drives and the bonus ball had raised £1000 – thanks to Ray.  Ray commented thanks to the members for supporting his efforts.

 

Highlights from the accounts:

 

Receipts                             2015-16           2014-15

Subs                                        2050               2260                        

Fees                                         2894              2294                          

Club competition fees            283                174                              

Fund raising                           2318              1215                          

Pavilion hire                            245                  40                        

 

Expenses

Ground costs                           6157              5650                      

Pavilion                                                    431                561                        

Trophies                                                  310                  300                        

 

Agreed to adopt the accounts and increase fees for C&D and County home games only to £4 per game (to offset loss of income from raffles).

 

The club had £7093 in the bank (£6880 in 2015).

 

Thanks to Les Gray for auditing the accounts.  Les agreed to continue as auditor.

 

Colin would arrange adding Jim and John H to the list of bank signatories.

 

8

Election of Officers, Committee and Captains

Elected:  David Palmer was elected Chairman.

Hon President - G Sheen       Secretary   -   J Daniels       Treasurer   -   C Nunn                    

Asst Sec/Treas - T Arthur       Webmaster -  M Duncan    Auditor   -   L Gray

Executive Committee  -   P Godden  J Herbert  B Norman M Nunn  M Stearn  J Tilley

Captains:  BH – John H   C&D4 – Barry B   C&D5 – David   E&D – Ray   TPL – Trevor (with Bob N)

 

9

Proposal to have a No Smoking Policy for the whole green and its surrounds inside the gates

Agreed with one vote against.

 

10

Web update

Photos of the dinner were now on the web.  Be aware of hacking – if you do not recognise emails then delete them

 

11

Any other business

Arn’s book – Arn had written a book “The Cambridge Peace Trail” which was on sale for £2 – all proceeds to the club.  Thanks to Arn.

The meeting ended at 20.25.

 

Signed.......................................................................................

 

 

Footnote:  We did not mention that Margaret S had made a donation the club in memory of Len.  Committee had agreed to buy two additional bowls gatherers and four yellow jacks for league matches.  Thanks to Margaret.

Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 23rd  March 2016 at 10.30 in the Bowls Pavilion

Present

Godfrey Sheen (hon president)  David Palmer   (chairman)    Jim Daniels (secretary)  Colin Nunn (treasurer)

Terry Arthur   Pat Godden John Herbert   Bob Norman  Margaret Nunn  Lorna Sheen   Mary Stearn  

John Tilley  Roger Wright.

 

1

Apologies for absence - Trevor Crow   Ray Daniels  Malcolm Duncan.

 

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 5th November 2015 were approved and signed as a true record.

 

3

Chairman’s report

The chairman reported that he felt fine after his recent heart problems.  He would be unable to drive for six months.

 

4

Secretary’s report

Fixtures – fixture cards were ready for printing.  Two friendlies pre-season Cottenham and Beach.

Drives – May 2nd and 30th.

Open Day May 8th - decided to cancel.  Prospective members to be invited to attend on Wednesday afternoons. Jim to oversee.

Saturday sessions for youngsters – Jim to advertise in Village View.  Bob to be contact.

Health and Well-Being Fair June 18th – invitation from Milton Patient Participation Group to participate.  Agreed to open green from 2-4pm.  David to supervise.

Chesterton indoors/outdoors league – Jim would find out if there was sufficient interest to enter a team in the winter “indoor/outdoor” league at Chesterton Indoor Bowls Club.

 

5

Treasurer’s report

£4541 in the bank.

Whist drives had raised £430.

Fund raising since 01/10/15 amounted to £1627.  25th concert raised over £600, the quiz £300.

£3000 spent since October – mostly on ground costs and mower repairs.

Agreed to continue to pay in full insurance on the building and not to ask MPC for contribution.  (MPC pays electricity and insurance for the store, the bowls club pays for water rate).

 

6

Fundraising and social events

Whist, concert and quiz - reported above.  Recipes reported at previous meeting.

Carpet bowls evening – the evening went well but supported by 11 outdoor bowls club members only.  Jim would not run another.

Jumble sale April 9th – decided not to hold one this year.

Working party April 16th - pre-season social in the evening 7pm – bring and share, club to provide drinks.  Green to open.

Concert – it was agreed to hold another concert in late November.  Jim would find out how much Nigel Syer would charge for a variety concert.  David would co-ordinate.                       Action:  Jim

Dinner – Colin to book Sunday October 23rd at The Crown Girton.                                        Action:  Colin

 

7

AOB

Mugs – agreed to buy 30 mugs with Bowls Club badge and logo at £4.50 each.  Perhaps members would like to buy a mug!

Sponsorship – Richard Pepper funeral director at Cottenham had offered sponsorship.  It was suggested that we ask him to sponsor the concert.                                                                          Action: Jim

Friendly West Runton (near Cromer) – not enough interest.

State of kitchen area – concerns expressed about condition of kitchen area as left by others.  Jim would talk to other users.

Scorecards - Roger and Godfrey to organise.

Combined whist drive and barbecue – a suggested social event.  No decision made.

 

 

 

The meeting ended at 12.05.

 

------------------------------

Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 5th November 2015 at 14.30 in the Bowls Pavilion

Present

Godfrey Sheen (hon president)  Bob Waters (chairman)    Jim Daniels (secretary)  Colin Nunn (treasurer)  

Terry Arthur   Trevor Crow  Ray Daniels    Pat Godden    John Herbert   Bob Norman  Margaret Nunn  

David Palmer    Lorna Sheen   John Tilley  Pauline Waters Roger Wright.  

1

Apologies for absence -  Malcolm Duncan   Mary Stearn.

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 10th August 2015 were approved and signed as a true record.

3

Chairman’s and Green keeper’s report

Bob’s last committee meeting as chairman.  He thought the committee excellent and thanked everyone – easy to work with.

David Palmer had agreed to become chairman.

4

Treasurer’s report (brought forward)

There had been a deficit this year of £1,000.  Two sources of income had been lost:  

1  Elections were now being held in the Community Centre.  

2  There would be no Village Fayre in 2016.  

The club would need to cut costs or increase its income.

Bob reminded committee that the green was a Parish Council green and that the club did not ask for any grant from the council.

5

Secretary’s report

John Tilley had expressed an interest on joining the committee.  Bob had therefore invited him to this meeting.

2015 season - CD5 did not come bottom.

Report from BH AGM - 18 men’s teams in 2016.  Lorna and Pauline received their winners’ trophy and John a hot shot (he and Jim scored 8 against a Beach team).

C&D proposals AGM 6th November – Lorna and Godfrey would attend.

Season 2016 – league teams and captains

BH Men    }        Jim

BH Mixed }

C&D 3                Lorna

C&D 5                David

County Triples   Trevor

E&D                   Ray

All captains were happy with how the season went and thanked members for their support.  

Jim commented that he organised the BH teams differently from the other captains by selecting from just a few players.  His intention was to see if Milton could challenge for a league title.  Both teams did well - Men’s team finished runner up mixed 4th – but he struggled to find just one lady at times to play.

He admitted that he did not follow Club Policy in his team selection but in his view there were four other leagues where the captains did follow Club Policy ie giving everybody a game.

[Please note:  If someone wants to captain the BH teams and run them according to Club Policy I shall not be upset or take offence - Jim].

Agreed not to recommend that the club has two Ely & District teams.  [If we were to do this then we must withdraw one of our other league teams].

Match fees – ideas discussed:        a) Home fees £3 away fees nil                                                                                     b) Passengers pay the car drivers match fee

                                                        c)  Wednesday afternoon bowlers pay a rink fee

                                                        d)  Social members fee to go up to £20

Agreed to recommend that all fees home and away be increased to £3 per game.

Club competitions – Keith C had suggested a plate competition for those knocked out first round.  Jim was considering running the competitions on a “round robin” basis – as per Ladies Pairs.  This way all players were guaranteed at least 3 games.  It was suggested that as the competitions make a loss we charge £3 per person per competition – not agreed.

John’s “Tilley” ladder - John and Jim would do some fine tuning including a handicap system and try to encourage more to take part.

Colours of rinks – from season 2016 C&D and Triples will play North-South always - BH and E&D play East-West.  Jim would arrange colours.  Captains have the discretion to play on any rinks.  

Report of Annual dinner 25th October – excellent dinner.  It had been suggested that we look for a venue in Milton – unfortunately there is no suitable venue.

Nigel ‘Boy’ Syer concert 28th November – interval drinks Colin and Magaret, tables and chairs to be set out at 4pm,  mince pies to be made – volunteers from the committee offered, helpers needed to serve drinks, “Bouncers” Roger and Trevor, MC Bob, Nigel’s bodyguard Jim! 

“Swisher”  - Jim had ordered from Chris Hunt a swisher for clearing away worm casts.  This is useful if we want to clean one or two rinks only.

6

Fundraising and social events

Whist Drives - 14/11 and 12/12 at 7pm

Quiz night - 12/3/16

Carpet bowls evening? – AGM to decide

Pat's recipes – £210 made – excellent result thanks to Pat (and Malcolm)

Roger's pens – sold his last few remaining pens

7

AOB

Mugs – Lorna would look for 30 mugs.

The meeting ended at 16.15.

Signed.......................................................................................

Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 18th September 2014 at 10.30am in the Bowls Pavilion

Present

Bob Waters (chairman)        Godfrey Sheen (hon president)        

Jim Daniels (secretary)        Colin Nunn (treasurer)

Terry Arthur   Trevor Crow  Ray Daniels        Pat Godden        Bob Norman  Margaret Nunn  

David Palmer        Lorna Sheen   Pauline Waters.  

 

1

Apologies for absence -   Malcolm Duncan   John Herbert   Mary Stearn   Roger Wright.

 

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 18th June 2014 were approved and signed as a true record.

3

Matters arising

Village Fayre - £270 raised.

Notice Board – Bob N advised cost of 4’ high board along the whole length of the (north) wall would be about £250.  A plaque in memory of Albert would be fixed to the board.

Sponsorship – Supremebeing were happy with the level of advertising given to the company.  

 

4

Chairman’s and Green keeper’s report

Chairman: Len and Margaret S had given a seat for the green to commemorate his 80th birthday.  Bob would assemble the seat and leave it in the pavilion over the winter.  The committee signed a birthday card for Len.

Despite the C&D2 team being relegated it had been a wonderful bowling season played in excellent weather. Thanks to all the captains.

Thanks to the secretary.

Greenkeeper: Jim was now a ‘qualified’ green cutter.  Thanks to John H Trevor and Ray for their help.  New recruits to the team were needed.  Bob N volunteered to help in 2015.

Congratulations to Pauline and Lorna for winning the BH Ladies Pairs and Jim for coming second in the C&D 2 Wood Singles.

The contractor was putting the green to bed that day.

Bob and Jim were considering asking the club to buy a new machine.  Bob would bring quotes to the AGM.                                                                                        Action   BOB W

 

5

Secretary’s report

Season 2014: see Chairman’s report above.

Club competitions – trophies:  One or two members had suggested to Godfrey that they did not want trophies and were happy with vouchers.  As this caused a discussion that could not be amicably resolved it was agreed to give trophies this season and ask the AGM’s advice for following years.

It was agreed to have a section on the honours board for the 2 Wood Singles.

Items for the AGM:  Agreed to continue to enter the following leagues – captains were willing to stand again:                             Teams                                      Captains

County Triples                       Trevor                      

                   CD3                                             Lorna          

CD5                                         David

E&D                                        Ray

BH Men                              Jim

BH Mixed                               Jim

 

One player had decided to move from CD3 to CD5.  Should we ask if any others wish to change?

A letter from Keith Collyer about playing standards was noted.  The club’s Policy had always been to encourage all members, whatever standard, to play in league teams and that all members therefore were entitled to play.

 

Norton Cup – may clash with C&D Gilbert - agreed not to enter.

Isleham Cup – struggled to field a team.   AGM to decide whether to enter in 2015.

Trumpington Mixed Fours in August – struggled to field a team.  AGM to decide whether to enter in 2015.

Cambridge & District League:

Recommendations from C&D committee to the C&D AGM:                   

·        Do away with one on first two ends and go straight in

·        Players at clubs with two teams who have registered for one team but do not play for that team may re-register with the other team.

 

Points deduction Rule 2: agreed to propose to C&D AGM to change the last line from:

“A non registered player playing in any league match will incur a 5 point penalty to a 2 point penalty.”        Reason:  the 5 point penalty was disproportionate with the penalty for not playing game (4 points) or playing “illegal” subs (4 points).                                                Action  secretary

 

Wooden Spoon: Milton ‘A’ finished bottom of division 5.  David would not attend the C&D dinner to accept the “trophy” as Willingham had refused to play (in total 3 times) thus depriving the team the chance to win enough points to move off the bottom.  Jim would also not collect the trophy and would write to the league to explain the reasons.

Action  Secretary

 

Dinner:  26th October – 43 members to attend.

Social events/fundraising ideas:

Carpet bowls 7th February – Jim and Godfrey to organise.

Quiz night 7th March – Colin and Margaret to organise.  

Whist drive – Ray would organise one to be held in the pavilion on Saturday 22nd November at 7pm for members - £5 per head bring own “nibbles”.  A minimum of 20 people needed. If successful he would organise additional whist drives;

Chutney - Pat had raised £20 for club funds by selling her spiced plum chutney.  Pat suggested a recipe book.  Members to provide recipes for the book.

Monthly draw – for members only – another item for the AGM.

25th Anniversary of formation of club.  Do we want to celebrate it and how?

 

Bob to produce newsletter highlighting the points above.                        Action   BOB W

 

Request from Papworth Trust:  re volunteering – letter noted.

6

Treasurer’s report

Balance in bank 30th September 2013 £7013 at present £8045.

If Michael Spooner was unable to audit the accounts Colin would ask Les Gray.

 

7

AOB

Tesco Charities and Donation Organiser: Ray had attended a meeting at Tesco.  The company were willing to support the club with donations for refreshments at league games.  The secretary would write to Tesco thanking them for the offer and asking for a donation for each home game.

Action:  Secretary

County Bowls:  meeting 28th September – Jim to attend.

 

 

The meeting ended at 12.20pm.

 

 

 

Signed.......................................................................................

Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 18th June 2014 at 10.30am in the Bowls Pavilion

Present

Bob Waters (chairman)        Godfrey Sheen (hon president)        

Jim Daniels (secretary)        Colin Nunn (treasurer)

Trevor Crow  Ray Daniels        Malcolm Duncan  Pat Godden    John Herbert   Bob Norman

Margaret Nunn   David Palmer        Lorna Sheen   Mary Stearn   Pauline Waters.  

 

1

Apologies for absence -   Terry Arthur   Roger Wright

 

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 21st January 2014 were approved and signed as a true record.

 

3

Matters arising

Carpet Bowls evening - £115 raised – thanks to Godfrey and Jim

Quiz Night – over £500 raised from two quizzes – thanks to Margaret and Colin

Sponsorship – showerproof jackets provided by Supremebeing over £550 raised –thanks to Ray

Invitation from Trumpington Bowls Club August 3rd – three players needed to join David – if 4 players are not found by Friday July 4th the secretary would withdraw the team.

 

4

Chairman’s report

Congratulations to David’s team on beating Coton top of division 5 C&D the previous evening.

New green cutting recruit – Jim.

Next season – how many teams should we enter and which league?

CD5 and E&D matches often clash.

 

5

Secretary’s report

Nothing to report

 

6

Treasurer’s report

Balance in bank £6890.

Income:  Sponsorship £525

                  Subs £2030

                  Quizzes etc – see above

                  Jumble sale £240 ­ + £86 for vinyl records (thanks Roger)

                  Pens £67

To date this season the club had spent £92 on refreshments and received £89 from the raffles.

Possible expenditure – new mower.  Bob reported that Tom Blanchard had decided not to cut the green after one session – saving the club £400.

 

7

Village Fayre – 12th July

Three stalls had been booked: -

 

BOTTLE STALL

For years Godfrey has organised the running of the Bottle Stall but has had to retire due to his poor eyesight.   Mary and Pat volunteered to run this stall.

 

BOWLING FOR A PIG

This stall is being run by Colin Nunn, Trevor Crow, Bob Norman and John Herbert.  Additional help needed especially if it is a hot day.

 

PLANT STALL

Unfortunately Bob Waters will be away on holiday on this day. The regular helpers are Terry Arthur; David Waterson and Colin Robson.  Extra help would be required.  Offers of plants to sell  already received but we could do with some more.

 

Ray to explore whether SUPREMEBEING wanted advertising.            Action: Ray

Bob W to send out a newsletter.                                                          Action: Bob W

8

AOB

Peggy Cowell had sent a cheque in memory of Albert.

It was agreed to buy 10 new mats and replace the notice board on the wall adjoin the Parish Council office.  Bob N offered to make the board and would explore options.         Action:  Bob N.

Godfrey would organise suitable plaques for the board and one of the seats on the green.

Jim would write and thank Peggy.                                                        Action: Jim

Bob N was negotiating about a new Village Fayre committee.

 

The meeting ended at 11.55am.

 

 

 

Signed.......................................................................................

 

Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held

on 21st January 2014 at 10.30am in the Bowls Pavilion

Present

Bob Waters (chairman)        Godfrey Sheen (hon president)        

Jim Daniels (secretary)        Colin Nunn (treasurer)

Terry Arthur   Ray Daniels        Malcolm Duncan  John Herbert   Margaret Nunn   Mary Stearn  Roger Wright  

1

Apologies for absence -   Pat Godden        David Palmer        Lorna Sheen   Pauline Waters.  

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 10th December 2013 were approved and signed as a true record.

3

Matters arising

Annual dinner 2014 – booked at The Old Crown Girton for Sunday 26th October at 12.30pm.

4

Carpet Bowls evening February 8th – to resolve:

How best to advertise – by newsletter, email and web.

Cost - £5 per person including raffle.

Refreshments - members to bring “nibbles” and/or drink.

5

Quiz Night March 8th

Quiz master – Colin.

Cost £8 including fish and chips.

Advertising:  pubs, Village View, Village website, newsletter.  (Bob to organise).

6

Sponsorship – to resolve exactly what we want from the deal

It was agreed to ask Supremebeing to provide 2 shirts per person and one fleece (=100 shirts, 50     fleeces).  These would be given to members with the hope that each member might make a donation – thus providing the club with additional funds.

Thanks to models Margaret, Mary and Ray for parading on the catwalk.

Colours etc were agreed.

Ray, Bob and Jim would discuss with David, the MD of Supremebeing.

7

Secretary’s report

Invitation from Trumpington Bowls Club – agreed to send a team to play on 3rd August in Trumpington President’s competition – the club to pay the entry fee and any winnings to be donated to the club.

8

AOB

Treasurer’s report - £5214 in the bank.  Fees for BH, C&D and County had been paid.

MOBC Web – fixtures were now on the web – in a different format from 2013.  Events/matches etc can be found on the calendar – for a one year trial period.

Jumble sale – thanks to Mary for producing posters.  Bob and Colin would organise advertising.

Spring clean of pavilion and green – Saturday 12th April at 9pm.

Pre-season social – Saturday 12th April at 7pm.  An opportunity to discuss any issues relating to the forthcoming season - Club to provide wine – members to bring own food.

Green opening – Sunday 13th April.

9

The meeting ended at 11.30am.

 

 

Signed.......................................................................................

 Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 10th December 2013 at 10.30am in the Bowls Pavilion

Present

Bob Waters (chairman)    Godfrey Sheen (hon president)        

Jim Daniels (secretary)    Colin Nunn (treasurer)

Terry Arthur   Trevor Crow   Ray Daniels        Pat Godden    John Herbert Bob Norman  Margaret Nunn   David Palmer     Lorna Sheen   Mary Stearn   Pauline Waters   Roger Wright

1

Apologies for absence -   Malcolm Duncan.

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 8th October 2013 were approved and signed as a true record.

3

Matters arising

Annual dinner went well.   Thanks to Godfrey for organising.

Quiz night – made £284 (+ £30 for party in the pavilion on the same evening).  Thanks to Colin and Margaret for organising.

4

Secretary’s report

        Bowls Cambridgeshire Friendly Association  -   Invitation to play a friendly and join the        Association   -   declined.

        Club competitions – Jim to organise.  Lorna, Godfrey and Pam would organise refreshments at the

        May Bank Holiday drives.

        Fixtures

             BH fixtures - 10 mixed and 16 men.

             County – 20 games (since reduced to 18 as City had withdrawn from the league).

             C&D fixtures now completed – (note: 29th July CD2and CD5 are both playing Fenstanton).

             E&D – rule change – a minimum of two ladies or men to play – (Not one lady in each rink as          previously).  Jim offered to scan C&D and E&D results and email to the respective leagues.

             Friendlies – Gt Chesterford 30th April  and Cottenham (away) Sunday 13th April.

             Mildenhall Social Bowls Club - Invitation to play friendly games – declined.

5

Treasurer’s report

Approximately £6000 in the bank – monthly outgoings £334.

Colin was -in his own words- “NOT TOO WORRIED”.   (That makes a change!).

6

Green keeper’s report

Our contractor was attending on a monthly basis and the green looks in good condition.  The mowers were due to be serviced at Peck’s of Ely.  Bob had ‘recruited’ an apprentice gardener to help cut the green if necessary.

7

AGM resolutions

           Social events and fund raising

              Carpet Bowls evening – Saturday February 8th

              Jumble Sale – Saturday April 5th

              Open Day -  Sunday April 27th 2-4pm

              Quiz night – Saturday March 8th  (in large hall Community Centre) with fish and chips.

              Village Fayre – Saturday July 12th – number and type of stalls to be decided nearer the time.

              Annual Dinner – Colin offered to organise and would find out availability of Meridian Golf         

              Club Toft and Menzies Hotel Bar Hill.

              Other ideas - whist drive in Autumn/Winter 2014.  Ray and Pat to organise.

 

8

Web update – nothing to report.

9

AOB

Fridge/Freezer – Colin had disposed of the fridge/freezer and bought a fridge for £40.

Sponsorship – Ray was confident that this would go ahead but in what format?  Coloured shirts?  Badges on shirts? Money?

 

The meeting ended at 11.25am.

 

 

 

Signed.......................................................................................

MINUTES OF MOBC AGM FRIDAY 15th NOVEMBER 2013

38 members present

1.             Apologies

Jim Daniels; John Tylka; Barrie & Rosemary Fuller; Barry Jefferson; Anne & Tony Hodge;

Peggy Cowell; Les Gray; Angela Crush and Joy King.

2.             Minutes of AGM held on 16th November 2012

                Approved and signed by Chairman.

3.             Matters arising

                New floor was in place before 2013 season commenced. Thanks to Colin Nunn for his

supervision.

                Jim’s Shed and motif thereon was a huge success. Thanks to Edgar Stearn for his generous

donation.

4.             Chairman’s Address

                This was very short. He commented on the good season we had, largely due to the good weather, and          thanked the members for their support.

5.             Secretary’s report

                An enjoyable season. It was good seeing new players joining us. I trust that they will consider              playing league bowls in 2014. Congratulations to the following: - The Ely & District Team won the                Turner Cup. Business House Mixed won Division 2 and are promoted. Lorna; Pauline; (thanks to                Joy for substituting for Pauline in the final) Max and Bob won through to the BH and CD finals in             various competitions. I have emailed and put up notices about next years’ competitions. Please sign         up if you are interested in taking part in any of these competitions. Bob and I are investigating a                 possible sponsorship deal. (Ray Daniels gave a brief resume of what this may involve.)

6.             Club Competitions

                Godfrey gave a short report on this year’s events and stated that we only ran six competitions  

whereas for example Cottenham run 14. He confirmed that he would not be running these competitions next year. Grateful thanks were given by the meeting for all the years he had run these        events. It is anticipated that Jim will take over the running of the competitions.

7.             Wednesday afternoon sessions

                John Herbert reported that the Wednesday afternoons were successful and in all at least 20 members           participated, with a regular appearance of our new members. Thanks to John, for his commitment in              running this event, of course remembering that he was ably assisted by Tony Lillyman. Due to Tony               passing away John will need a new assistant. Volunteer required.

8.             Treasurers report

   Colin Nunn gave a comprehensive report on the Club’s finances and produced the accounts as audited by Michael Spooner. Our current financial position is good; however Colin urged caution in             view of future expenditure. A copy of the accounts can be obtained from the Secretary or Treasurer  and can be viewed on the Club web site.

9.             Green Keeper’s report

                Bob Waters gave a resume of his report which is attached.

10.           Resolutions from Committee.

                i.              That the Club employ Tom Brittain to cut twice a week throughout the 2014 season -                                       approximately 26 to 30 cuts (£390 - £450). Bob and ad hoc team of helpers would do any                            extra cutting needed. AGREED

                ii.             We enter the same leagues as in 2013. AGREED

                iii.            The fee to join the Club is increased from £35 to £40. AGREED

                iv.            That a £10 Social Membership be offered to persons not wishing to play competitive bowls.                             This means they would not be eligible to play as representatives of the Club in League, Cup                           or Competitions unless they had full membership. AGREED

                v.             We continue with refreshments for league matches. AGREED

                vi.            The fee for all league matches stay at £2.50. AGREED

                vii.           The same format should be used for the Club 2 wood singles as for all other Club                                                    competitions and each game should be played over 30 ends. AGREED

11.           Election of officers

                The following were voted in unanimously: -

Hon. President – Godfrey Sheen; Chairman – Bob Waters; Secretary – Jim Daniels; Treasurer –  

Colin Nunn; Assistant Sec/Treasurer – Terry Arthur;  Webmaster – Malcolm Duncan;  Auditor –                 Michael Spooner; Executive Committee – Pat Godden; John Herbert, Bob Norman; Margaret    

Nunn; Mary Stearn; Pauline Waters and Roger Wright. Captains – BH Jim Daniels; CD2              

Lorna Sheen; CD5 David Palmer; E&D Ray Daniels; TPL Trevor Crow.  (Thanks go to Len              

Sandford who retired from the Committee and to Bob Norman for joining it. Also thanks to Ray                 Daniels for taking on the E&D Captaincy, otherwise we were in danger of losing this team.)

12.           Events and fund raising

                30th November Quiz Night. Bob reported that unless more teams entered we may have to cancel the           event. At present there are six possible teams. Which if confirmed then the event will proceed in the          small hall at the Community Centre as advertised. Agreed to have a carpet bowls evening; Open              Day; Bank holiday Drives; Jumble Sale; 2014 Quiz Night. Arrangements and dates to be

confirmed by the Committee.

13.           Web Update

Malcolm Duncan gave an update regarding the Club’s web site. We are very indebted to Malcolm for keeping such a professional web site. It was also thanks to Malcolm that the meeting had the         benefit of the agenda and papers being displayed on the screen for all to see, (including some          poignant pictures of those members that we have lost) whilst we had the minutes silence at the beginning of the meeting to remember them.

---------------------------------

Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 8th October 2013 at 10.30am in the Bowls Pavilion

Present

Bob Waters (chairman)    Jim Daniels (secretary)    Colin Nunn (treasurer)

Terry Arthur   Trevor Crow   Malcolm Duncan   Pat Godden    Margaret Nunn  

David Palmer   Len Sandford   Lorna Sheen   Pauline Waters   Roger Wright

1

Apologies for absence -   Godfrey Sheen   Mary Stearn.   [John Herbert was not aware of the meeting.  The secretary subsequently apologised to John for inadvertently omitting his name from the email address book.  The error had now been rectified].  

A minute’s silence was observed in memory of Rosemary Palmer and Tony Lillyman.

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 12th July 2013 were approved and signed as a true record.

3

Matters arising

The Wednesday afternoon sessions had been a success.  Thanks to John and of course Tony.

Summer Fayre went well - £363 made.

4

Annual Dinner – 3rd November

38 members were expected.

5

Quiz night 30th November

Bob confirmed that he was going to publicise this event widely throughout the village.

6

Secretary’s report

MCC rep – Jim offered to take on this role as Godfrey was stepping down.

BH Pairs League – a proposal to split the men’s division into two had been submitted to the AGM.  An amendment to play home and away if this occurred had also been submitted.  Jim would listen to the debate and vote accordingly.

A proposal to make minor changes to a rule concerning postponed games would also be debated.

Ely & District – proposal from Cottenham about procedure for rearranging games called off because of inclement weather.

Proposal from Mitchell Lodge to make the league mixed with no restriction about number of ladies per rink.  AGREED to support.

Cambridge & District – history book received.  Willingham had applied to re-join the league.  C&D Committee did not support “tea and biscuits” option.   Chesterton had proposed that placing the mat  one yard from the ditch first end should be scrapped.   Agreed to second this proposal. (Noted that  the C&D committee were not approving this proposal).        

7

Treasurer’s report

There was a surplus of £386.75 including a donation of £1000 in memory of Mary Daniels.  Committee expressed thanks for this.  The treasurer pointed out that a donation of £500 was also received in the previous year.  Without these donations the club would run at a loss.

Fund raising amounted to £1352 - £100 less than the previous year.

£180 loss of income due to clubs withdrawing from the County and C&D leagues.

8

AGM 15th November

i  Green Keeper’s report and Maintenance 2014

The green had been put to bed.  The contract for 2014 had been agreed.  Tom Brittain who worked for Chris Hunt and lives at 8 Recreation lose was happy to cut the green at £15 per cut.  Agreed to recommend to the AGM that the club employ Tom to cut twice a week throughout the 2014 season – approximately 26-30 cuts (£390-450).  Bob and ‘ad hoc’ team of helpers would do any extras needed.          

Thanks to all those who helped in 2013 including Colin and Godfrey.

Colin and Jim would cut the surrounds in 2014.

ii   Leagues – agreed to enter same leagues as in 2013.  Captains all agreed to continue.  E&D captain to be agreed.

iii  Membership – Agreed to recommend that the fee be increased to £40 and that a social membership category  be formed  for those players who did not wish to play competitive bowls – fee to be £10.

iv  Refreshments – raffle took in £420 and refreshments cost £330.  Should we continue with refreshments?

v  Rink Fees – agreed to recommend that the fee for all league matches stay at £2.50.

vi  Competitions – Jim would try to encourage more members to enter the various competitions.  Bob would not enter the County Champion of Champions as it was difficult to fit this into the programme.

The club 2 wood singles competition was poorly attended.   It was agreed to recommend that the same format should be used as for all other club competitions (ie played over the course of the season) and that each game should be played over 30 ends.

9

AOB

Bank Account – signatories to be Colin, Len S, Godfrey and Jim.

Fridge/Freezer – as this was not working properly Colin would dispose of it and look for a replacement fridge.  Colin carried out all the PAT testing of electrical equipment.

Web – any ideas for a sponsor for the banner at the bottom of the website?

The meeting ended at 11.45am.

Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 12th July 2013 at 10.30am in the Bowls Pavilion

 

Present

Bob Waters (chairman)   Godfrey Sheen (hon president)  

Jim Daniels (secretary)    Colin Nunn (treasurer)

Terry Arthur   Trevor Crow   Malcolm Duncan   Pat Godden John Herbert   Margaret Nunn  David Palmer  Len Sandford   Mary Stearn  Pauline Waters  

1

Apologies for absence -  Tony Lillyman  Lorna Sheen   Roger Wright        

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 3rd April 2013 were approved and signed as a true record.

3

Matters arising

Honours Board – Mary suggested that Edgar would be prepared to take over Len’s duties.

Website – hacking occasionally may occur.  Let Malcolm know if we come across it.

New members – club is trying to encourage the new members who have joined in 2013 – in the hope that some of them would like to play league bowls.  The Waggon & Horses ‘Drinking Group’ attended the open day and have played regularly on Wednesday afternoons.

Social members – a new category of social member, especially to cater for those who wished to play Wednesday afternoons only, to be discussed at AGM.

Jumble sale – very successful.

Shed – this had proved to be a useful acquisition – thanks to Edgar for his hard work.

New carpet / floor – a big improvement.

 

4

Treasurer’s report

Balance £5292 – in July 2012 was £6042. Colin advised committee that he would raise his concerns about the club’s financial position.  Profit from league matches was down.  Rink fees for the county triples covered the affiliation fees.

 

5

Summer Fayre

Arrangements for the various tasks were agreed.  Three stalls:  bowling for a pig, bottle stall (tombola) and plants stall.

 

6

Food Hygiene

Letter received from SCDC.  Jim felt that the form was not appropriate for a bowls club and had advised SCDC that the club would welcome an inspection visit at any time.         

 

7

Grass Cutting

The number of volunteers had dropped significantly.   Bob set out the options for 2014:

1           Continue as at present

2           Recruit more help

3           Pay Pro-Green (about £3000?)

4           Pay a ‘volunteer’

5           Pay Tom Brittain (lives in Ron’s bungalow) and works for Pro Green.

Noted that the club had not once asked MCC or MPC for help towards the costs of maintaining the green.

 

8

AOB

Rink Fees for non-members - £2 per session

Cambridge & District League -  the C&D had promised a consultation about forming a separate division for teams of 9 players (3 rinks of 3).  David was happy for Milton ‘A’ to continue playing 12 players.

Quiz night – Trevor would take over Len’s role of fish and chips supremo.

Brass band concert – Waterbeach Brass were unable to perform for the club this year.  Any ideas for a replacement concert/fund raising event?  A Christmas quiz night was suggested.

Refreshments – Jim would ask C&D to consult with clubs about providing tea and biscuits after games instead of the traditional ‘buffet’.         Action: Jim and item also for club’s AGM.

Colin suggested that match fees could be £3 per game with no raffle.

Pavilion – Gt Chesterford were having a £50,000 new pavilion built.  Was it feasible for Milton to do something similar?   Bob and Jim would investigate.

 

The meeting ended at 11.40am.

 

Signed................................................................

 

Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 3rd April 2013 at 2.30pm in the Bowls Pavilion

 

Present

Bob Waters (chairman)   Godfrey Sheen (hon president)  

Jim Daniels (secretary)    Colin Nunn (treasurer)

Terry Arthur   Trevor Crow   John Herbert   Tony Lillyman  Margaret Nunn   David Palmer  

Len Sandford   Lorna Sheen   Mary Stearn  Pauline Waters   Roger Wright    

 

1

Apologies for absence - Malcolm Duncan   Pat Godden.  

 

2

Minutes of the meeting held on 27th November were approved and signed as a true record.

 

3

Matters arising

 Brass band concert – profit £367 - 50% less than in 2011. The musical director of Waterbeach Brass offered to help increase numbers attending.  It was agreed to hold the event again in 2013.  Bob would discuss with the musical director.

 Quiz night - £326 profit – thanks to Colin and Margaret.  Colin agreed to hold another quiz night in 2014.

Carpet bowls evening - £60 profit – thanks to Godfrey and Jim.

Floor – vinyl and carpet – excellent job done by Dentons – approximate cost (one third) £500+.   Visiting teams would be directed to the changing room via the outside door and not through the main room.  Thanks to Gordon for painting changing room.

Scorecards –cost £15 - had been distributed to captains.  Bob reminded committee that direction of play would alternate weekly.  Thanks to Terry for drawing up the colour of rinks rota.

 

4

Arrangements for jumble sale 6th April

Setting up at 9am.  Entrance fee 20 pence.  Bob advised of a company ‘Cash for Clothes’ that would take unwanted clothes.

 

5

13th April:

a)  Working Party – 9am

b) Jim’s Shed – floor, painting of inside wall, slabs outside, tables etc to be completed during week  8th - 13th April.  

c) Social Evening  -  food to be ‘bring and share’ – wine supplied.

 

6

Various:

-        Friendly v Gt. Chesterford 24th April 6pm.  Jim to arrange tea and biscuits.  Match fee £2.50 – if more than 12 wish to play then some players may play 9 ends only – fee to be pro rata.

-        Open Day 28th April 2-4pm – volunteers needed.  Pauline to arrange tea and biscuits.

-        County Council elections 2nd May –to be held in the pavilion.  Bob to be ‘in charge’.  

-        Fixtures - Team Captains were aware of occasions when E&D and C&D games are played on the same day and would work together as in 2012.

-        Purchase of History Book Cambridge & District League – c£6 per copy. Agreed to buy one book.

-        Invitations received for tournaments:

  Cottenham  15th June and Trumpington Sunday 14th July

  BH Rosebowl competition Sunday 7th July

  BH/C&D representative games.

-        Cutting Rota – John and Trevor, Terry and Tony, Bob and Jim.  Ray to be ‘floater’.  The green would be cut on the mornings of home league matches.

-        Village Fair 13th July – 3 pitches, bowling for the pig (Colin, Len and Trevor), bottle stall (Lorna and Godfrey) and plants (Bob and Terry).         

 

 

 

 

 

 

7

AOB

County Meeting Sunday 7th April – Bob and Trevor would attend.

Honours Board – Len apologised for not having updated the board – it was in hand.

Midweek League Wednesdays 2-4pm – John offered to run this with assistance from Tony.  Thanks to John and Tony.

Equipment insurance – cost of insuring in new ‘lock up store’ (shed) would increase.  Godfrey to liaise with Andy at MCC.

Plates / cups – agreed to continue to use plates and cups & saucers and not disposable plates.

Cleaning materials etc – Godfrey would continue to purchase cleaning materials, tea, biscuits, soft drinks.

May Drives -  Lorna would make sausage and mash for the 27th May Drive.

Kitchen equipment – is it all needed?  One fridge had been disposed of.

Subscriptions – next newsletter would remind members to pay their subscriptions.

Weathervane for shed – Edgar had this in hand.  Edgar and Bob would liaise with Gordon about painting of shed (5 b) above).

Sprinklers – Chris Hunt to ensure sprinklers were working properly on 8th April.

List of members – to be supplied by Jim.

New members  - Trevor hoped to bring along at least 4 new members and Jim 2.  Bob advised committee that Lawrence Squires intended to join the club again after many years away.

 

The meeting ended at 4.00pm.

 

Signed................................................................

 

 

Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of Milton Outdoor Bowls Club held on 27th November 2012 at 10.30am in the Bowls Pavilion

Present

Bob Waters (chairman) Godfrey Sheen (hon president) Jim Daniels (secretary) Terry Arthur Trevor Crow Malcolm Duncan (apologies for lateness) Pat Godden John Herbert Margaret Nunn David Palmer Len Sandford Lorna Sheen Pauline Waters Roger Wright

1

Election of Chairman - Bob was elected chairman.

2

Apologies for absence

Colin Nunn Tony Lillyman Mary Stearn. Margaret reported that Colin was making good

progress ‘under her watchful eye’ following his recent knee operation.

3

Minutes of the meeting held on 22nd October were approved and signed as a true record.

4

Arrangements for brass band concert 8th December

Tickets were selling slowly.

Raffle: Lion & Lamb voucher for £20, two poinsettias (Len), Whisky (Bob), two ‘decent’ prizes

and a tin of Roses chocolates (Lorna & Godfrey).

Mulled wine: Colin and Margaret.

Various helpers had offered to make and serve mince pies and help to set up at 5pm.

5

AGM minutes

Quiz night – in annexe 9th March (reserve date 2nd March).

Jumble sale – 6th April at 11am – setting up from 9am. To be advertised in Village View, websites and notice boards (Jim), posters (Mary?).

Open Day (including other pre season dates)

13th April – morning: working day – evening: social with ‘nibbles’ (to sort out leagues etc and to sample wine specially selected by Colin)

15th April - green will open

24th April (Wednesday) friendly at home v Gt Chesterford 6pm

28th April – Open Day 2-4pm (Bob, Trevor and Len).

Floor – Bob and Jim will discuss with Colin (over a glass of red wine).

6

Secretary’s report

Direction of play - the secretary omitted to report to the AGM that the club intended rotating the playing direction each week – ie East/West week one North/South week two and so on.

Saturday competitions - Max had suggested that the club play additional Saturday competitions ‘within the club’ as a way to raise income. Jim and Max would arrange to play two during the coming season.

AGM – 15th November 2013

Annual dinner – at Toft Sunday 3rd November (Godfrey to organise). Jim raised the possibility of holding the dinner in Milton perhaps at Barnabas Court. Committee were happy with the present arrangements.

County triples - 10 teams in 2013 = 18 games. Agreed also to enter the Norton Cup.

Action: Jim to send application forms and fees.

7

AOB

Mowers – being collected by Pecks on Monday 17th December. Terry agreed to oversee collection.

Scorecards – Roger to organise (and pens).

Carpet bowls – Godfrey and Jim would organise a carpet bowls Olympics for a Saturday evening – probably in February.

Summer Fayre - Saturday 13th July – to be discussed at next meeting.

The meeting ended at 11.30am

Signed................................................................