SCYC Fall Business Meeting Minutes November 14, 2015
Barb Willcox, Commodore
-‐ Welcome members. Thank you to Don for a delicious lunch and his crew: Dana Courtney, Rich Kamens, John Kagan and Kim Thompson. In addition Helen Rock for the slide show and all SCYC members for their attendance and SCYC support.
Doug Miller, Treasurer
-‐ Financial report: balance currently at $802
Diane Walters, Vice Commodore
-‐ Members currently receive emails from our large membership distribution list but because of its size, has previously been rejected because it shared characteristics with spam-‐type emails. Therefore it was suggested that SCYC create another club google group for official club communications.
Laura Maroglou, Secretary
-‐ 2015 current membership = 68; 2014 membership = 82; encouraged use of Facebook for communications.
By-Law changes, previously proposed at the Spring Business Meeting were approved by unanimous vote.
Summary: Move the timeline for official installation of officers to take place Jan 1 and run until Dec 31 of the same year. Nomination & election of new officers to be completed at Fall Business Meeting, only if uncontested and with majority vote. Ceremonial installation will still take place at the Spring Business Meeting, same as before.
Patricia Dionne -‐ SCYC merchandise will be standardized to one order per year. Orders to be placed in February and then purchased items picked up at the Spring Business Meeting.
Nominations were made for 2016 officers, followed by elections resulting in unanimous vote and approval, to include:
Nathan Maune Commodore
Rich Kamens Vice Commodore
Dan Godwin Secretary
Doug Miller Treasurer
Thank you to all 2015 event hosts:
Dave Rock, Doug Miller, Ed Walters & David Willcox Mark & Meryl Alexander, Helen Rock, Nathan Maune, Diane Walters & Barb Willcox, Meryl Alexander, Don Courtney, Rhonda Ivey & Keir Penny, Ann Hamner, Laura Twyman, Brenda Miller & Shannon Doane, David & Barb Willcox, Don Courtney, Steve & Laura Twyman, Ron Honeycutt, Dan Godwin & Patricia Dionne, Dave & Jan Bachnovic, Craig & Denise Allen.
Thank you to Share Series discussion hosts:
Darren Wohl, Mark Alexander, Glenn Withrow, Rhonda Ivey, Pat Terry and Doug Miller
Thank you to our 2015 Culinary Team:
Don and Dana Courtney, Karl and Joan Staley, Rich Kamens, Ted Tisty, Kim Thompson, Dave Rock and Paul Sullivan
Recognition of Service to SCYC:
• Steve Sherwood, for his contributions of time and talents to the new patio and especially the generous gazebo modifications, plus new modular furniture and folding serving bar.
• Doug Miller, for his 5 years of service as our SCYC Treasurer
• Ed Walters and David Willcox, for their many years of service as Race Chairmen. Shipmate Award was presented to Nathan Maune for his significant contributions of time and talents in design, problem resolution, construction and leadership of SCYC volunteers for the new patio, fire pit and modified gazebo. Gifts for Don Courtney were presented by Dan Godwin, from personal contributors as appreciation for his contributions and years of service to SCYC. In addition, a lifetime award, from SCYC was presented by Diane Walters.
New members present, were welcomed and introduced:
• Michelle Nicely and Ernie Winings
• Greg and Margaret Miller
Charles Robinson was acknowledged and thanked for Steele Creek Marina’s many resources, materials and talents contributed in the construction of the new patio, fire pit and gazebo modifications.
Charles Robinson provided SCYC with an update on the Steele Creek Marina upgrades and improvements, currently in progress:
• Dock improvements A dock -‐ decking & electrical updated C dock -‐ all wood is being replaced; electrical will be updated by Jan. 2016 B dock -‐ next to be updated
• Patio and gazebo project -‐ thank you to Nathan, Barbara & all SCYC members.
• Wash pad -‐ Close to being approved by Corps of Engineers; will take approx. 2 months after approval to be up and running.
• 20 amp slips -‐ Unless you’re on the boat, power cords must be unplugged.
• Amp usage -‐ Marina will be monitoring amp usage with amp meters to make sure space heaters aren’t being used since they pose a fire hazard.
• Member Appreciation Event -‐ will occur again Memorial Day weekend, 2016.
• Billing or slip questions – All inquiries should be directed only to Jill Robinson at email@example.com, and not the marina store employees.
• WiFi -‐ DSL is being used. TWC is not cost-‐effective.
• Water -‐ Will be turned off after 3 consecutive days of below freezing.
• Recycle bins -‐ Removed since locals collecting cans are leaving a mess at the marina.