8U All-STAR RULES 2017
2. Bases will be 60’ and pitching distance at 35’. There will be a pitching circle measuring 16’ diameter. There will be hash marks half way between first and second, second and third, and third and home. An 11” in ball will be used. A pitching machine will be used for all games.
Pitching machine speeds will be as follows: 38 MPH
3. Regulation game will consist of 6 innings. No new inning after 1 hour and 30 minutes. Semi-Final and Final Games will have no time limit
4. Pitcher must wear a helmet with a protective face guard. All batters must have a face guard.
5. If a batted ball hits the pitching machine it will be ruled a dead ball situation. The
batter will be awarded first base, and any other runners will advance only one (1) base.
6. The umpire or field supervisor may stop a game at anytime he/she believes conditions are
unsafe for play. Coaches and parents need to have teams ready to start the game at the
7. The defensive team may play with up to 10 players on the field with 6 players in the infield
and the balance located in the designated outfield area (i.e. the grass or chalked line). If not
playing on a regulation size softball field, an arc measuring 20’ from the back corner of
all bases (except home plate) will be drawn. All outfielders must be behind this arc
at the time of the pitch, and can move forward after the release of the ball. Teams may
play with more players if agreed upon before the game by both coaches.
8. The batting order will remain continuous throughout the game. Any runner not past the half way mark between third base and home shall not be counted as a scored run. Each team may bat the entire roster, this is up to the manager, the decision needs to be declared prior to the start of the game, if you choose not to bat everyone, then the team will only bat 10 players and the rest of the players on the roster will be treated as substitute players. Please remember you have to finish with how you start the game.
9. Teams may start a game with a minimum of 8 players. If a player arrives late for the game she should be entered last in the batting order.
10. If a player leaves or is injured during the game and is unable to bat, her position in the batting order will be skipped with no out recorded.
11. Unlimited substitution of defensive players is allowed, but the original batting order must be followed.
12. A batter will be allowed three (3) swinging strikes or five (5) hittable pitches. Any swing is
considered a hittable pitch, or any pitch called a strike by the umpire is a hittable pitch. A
hittable pitch is a pitch which is thrown in the zone from knee to shoulder. The batter is not
out if the 5th hittable pitch is a foul ball. (Note: there are no walks).
13. Infield fly rules will not be enforced.
14. If a player throws her bat the ball will be dead immediately. A strike will be called, and all
runners must return to their base before the pitch. If this is the 3rd swinging strike or 5th
hittable pitch the batter is out (otherwise it is a strike) The first occurrence of throwing a bat
will also serve as a team warning. If any other player on that team throws her bat she will be
called out immediately--- one warning per team. This is an umpire judgment call.
15. If a runner has not advanced past the designated half way mark on the base path and the pitcher has control of the ball in the pitcher’s circle, the runner must return to her last occupied base. The machine is in play. If a batted ball hits the machine play is stopped immediately and the batter is given a single. Any runners on base at the time of the hit advance only one base.
16. Stealing is not allowed. The runner must remain on the base until the ball is hit. If the
runners leave early, they will be sent back. A second offense by the same team shall result
in that runner being called out.
17. There will be no advancement of bases on a catchers dropped ball or an errant throw back to
18. If a ball is overthrown trying to make a play on a runner or a batter/runner all runners
may advance (at their own risk) to all bases. This does not include a miss-thrown ball
from the catcher to the pitcher when returning the ball to the umpire. This is based on
location of runner at the time of the overthrow.
19. If a fielder has the ball and is in position to make a play on a runner, the runner must avoid an intentional collision. If the runner, in the umpires opinion, intentionally and maliciously
collides with the fielder she will be called out.
20. In order to prevent delays, a courtesy runner is required for the catcher. You may choose to use a substitute player that is not currently in the game or the runner can be the last recorded out. But must remain consistent throughout the game
21. No dropped third strike rule. A batter cannot advance to first base if the catcher fails to hold onto the third strike.
22. You may have one coach on the field when your team is in the field.
23. No tee-ball bats are permitted. Only bats with the ASA symbol are legal bats for play.
24. No jewelry is to be worn during games. Starter earrings must be taped.
25. All team uniforms issued by their organization must be worn. No sandals or metal cleats.
26. All equipment and team members must remain in dugouts, except when acting as base
coaches or as the on deck batter.
27. Home team scorebook is official score.
28. Managers only - not coaches – may question only an umpires rule book interpretation – NOT JUDGEMENT CALLS. The manager must question the rule before the next pitch.
29. No harassment by coaches, spectators, or players will be permitted. Managers will be
responsible for the conduct of coaches, spectators, and players. Unruly spectators may be
asked to leave or cause the forfeiture of the game.
30. A mercy rule is as follows:
EIGHT RUN RULE: A game will end when a team is ahead by eight or more runs any time after 5 innings or 4 ½ innings if the home team is ahead.
TEN RUN RULE: A game will end when a team is ahead by ten or more runs any time after 4 innings or 3 1/2 if the home team is ahead.
MERCY RULE: At any time after the end of three innings a team is ahead by 15 or more runs, the game is considered a complete game
RULES AND GUIDELINES FOR COACHES
1. Be organized. Have your line-up ready and your players prepared to play when it is time for the game to begin. Have your catcher ready each inning when it is time for your team to take the field. Require your players to hustle on and off the field between innings. Time that you waste only deprives kids of playing time.
2. Coaches should not smoke on the field or in proximity to the field during games and practice. Smoking is not allowed on the GBSRD premises.
3. Coaches are responsible for the conduct of themselves, their players, their team parents, and fans. If there is a problem with a parent or fan you should warn them and/or get assistance from the field supervisor.
**** Only coaches and scorekeepers are allowed in the dugout during the game.
Coaches must attempt to maintain an orderly and safe dugout environment at all
****Please make sure dugout is cleaned up after each game. Also, encourage your fans
to pick up after themselves at all times.