Transformus Leadership Caucus - Collaborative Conference Public Agenda
Date: September 16, 2017
- Trainees: Fragile Turtle, Tuesday Raptorface, Evan
- TLC: Abi, Jess, Logick, Andi, Holly, (Leia some)
- BOD Advisor: Carter
Facilitator: Kurtal / Abi
Need another full member. Volunteered and accepted.
Land and stuff
- Discussion of losing Deerfields. Rehashing the hash.
- All the facts are in the report, only thing missing is the feelings
- Moving is good for an event...
- No direct contact from Deerfields since letter, we’ve made two
Back to Deerfields? Thoughts ( | marks the rough count who stated given position)
- |||||| One year if we need a bridge year, keep looking
- |||||| Contract by November
- ||||| Community deserves us trying, if it meets their needs
- ||||| All ages (BMan has been cool, maybe no longer) Should be inclusive
- ||| Other viable options? 4 or 5 potentials for 2500
- ||| Unhealthy relationship
- || Have to have an event this year somewhere
- | We write contract
- | Really want to go back. Approach was wrong, both sides were frustrated.
- | Outgrown the land and relationship
- | Needs to be in July - July is hot, look for elevation, water
- | Logistics suck there. We tear it up.
- | Fresh starts are good
- | DF isn't TFus
- | As leaders, do what's in the community’s best interest
- | Appoint a new DF liaison, handshakes not lawyers etc.
Transformus 2018 All ages?
- ||||| Sanctioned includes all ages
- Two way, we influence them and they influence us
- Sanctioning is unimportant and other burns have lost sanctioning and not been penalized (GLC attendance, etc.). Alchemy got stepped on recently.
- Unlikely to happen at DF
- || Shouldn't be the sticking point with DF
- |||| One year OK, must have an event, then all ages
- || Rangering a large event with kids is considered hard, but doable
- Everybody, EVERYBODY, else does it, so can we
- ||||| An event without kids is not a burn
- Time without kids is nice
- ||| Ignite! isn’t just all ages, it's kid inclusive
- 300/78000 @ BMan, 100/700 @ Ignite!
- Alchemy had five kids last year
- TFus can advise not to bring kids, but permissible
- Bounce family if kid is out of line @ Ignite! Good policy
- |||| Cap kid tickets, full price
- Personal non-binding non-fiduciary feelings: no’s - ||||| yes’s - |||||
- || Want DF first and foremost
- ||||| Wanting a kid free “burn” is selfish and not the principles
- Some people want kids, other people like no kids
- |||| Unhealthy relationship go back one more time is stupid
DF yes or no
- Come up with list of what we want, have negotiation
- Have a hard deadline in November
- Don't trust us to do TFus 17 at DF and search for another place for next year
- Acquiescence to move towards kids
- Sept. 16th - today
- Who talks? Two Negotiators
- Contact tomorrow and timely response by Oct 1
- Sit down convo our rep and DF
- We move back to Weekly Calls for now
- Identify Major Points - next call
- Negotiations - Oct 1-30th
- Lack of progress for two weeks...
- Hard deadline
- || 1st
- ||| 15th
- |||||| TGiving eve Nov 22nd
Vote - Should TFus 2018 be all ages for infinity and beyond? Yes Unanimous
TFus in July voice vote - Yes unanimous
Land search suggestions
Land Search Requirements
- Tons of suggestions came in and all previous LSC suggestions, narrowed down to 70-80, divvied and triaged to 14. Made initial contact “would you be interested at all”
- <We triage to 5, assign them out for further research>
- Begin Convos now, need prompt responses
- Make progress, do site visits,
- Begin Negotiations no later than TGiving (3rd WE of Nov)
- Signed Contract by 3rd WE of January
Transformus mission thoughts: Local community, mid sized, art focused, magic, consent, focused event, that follows the 11 principles. Come along on our magical adventure. Balancing radical self expression and personal responsibility.
- We should actually put some time into writing this.
- Strong volunteerism
- How do we make the world better, level up?
Past, present, future
- Didn't happen - 2017 Afterburn
- Online conduct policies
- Trolls on FB suck
- More productive/succinct conference calls desired
- Team leads social media guidelines needed
- Stop saying “if you don't like it start your own Burn”
- Facebook at contract-negotiations fall-through felt like mom and dad were fighting - one ass can pull an event apart
- When we provide something other than facts on FB we escalate things, talk to peers first
- Smart and good to not pull a Hail Mary event 2017
- Supported each other well, community took it very well
- Felt burnt out trying to scramble to have an event
- Perimeter for burns is gonna be a thing
- Failed to do the thing I was tasked to do
- Tighter calls. New moderators. Remember to bring out all the voices, remember to speak up
- Feel in the bones that there wasn't a burn, soul wasn't fed
- Event not happening isn’t a failure, but a part of life cycle
- Third weekend of July 2016 burn
- Not all invited, invited Theme Camps not people
- “Transformus DCP presents” event - changed most if not all things
- Short term: find a location, sow for the event
- Clean up the teams when we get new location
- Not assigning all teams now
- Think about the leadership, performance reviews, known needs
- Combine Tits & VC
- Create center camp with Rangers, Radio, VC, (Tits)
- Redo when we have a location
- Theme camps adopting teams some more
- Teams aren't going to copy paste from Deerfields to new place
- New people, new duties, not all teams or more teams, who knows!?
- Greeters are teachers not just spankers, place at gate if possible. Trap people into learning
Begin team documentation templates / plan
- Cross burning policies
- Templates for teams
- Tuesday needs inputs
- Abduction proof team lead instructions
Ideas from BRC mentorship:
- Community behavioral standards document for vendors - add to gate
- Theme camp safety checklist (from safety leads meeting) - add to neighborhood liaisons?
- Consent on ticket
- One hand / two hand thing for meeting efficiency
Art burn perimeter plans?
Review of emergency plans, ICS, determine what needs to be updated if anything
- Three members want to get trained in ICS
Need to make friends with local police and fire in new location
New meeting time: Thursday @ 7:30
2018 TFus Ideas
- Start slightly later, end on Monday
- Monday late stay wrist band
- Early entry passes
- Late leaving theme camps lose placement for next year
- Utilize security to eject people who aren’t following these rules
Combine Inspection teams?
- FRT, DMV, Theme Camp Checklist, Flaming Art, (ICS?)
Leads - Ask for specific things with the Leadership Interest Form
- <Discussion of leads/teams, thoughts for filling empty positions>
- First only combined retreat, woohoo!
- How do you envision the future for your event? How do you see your event in relation to the TFus family of burns?
- BOD is Jellyfish, Vreanie (IPA Liaison), Kricket (Treasurer), Carter (Secretary) (TLC Liaison), Kurtal (VP), Firefly (President)
- BOD does not intend to be taskmaster, but facilitator
- Strange last year is an opportunity to grow. Three events, one family. Each event should highlight different principles.
- <Around the room intros and ideas for the future>
- It takes a family to ruin Transformus, team effort!
- Ignite! - Incubator, TFus - Reunion, Synthesis - Go for it. Create event that matches the vision, not growth for growth’s sake
Sunday morning meeting
- Ignite! urges us to add to the ignition fund - $250 is their current line item
- Help of all kinds
- Signal boosting their requests
- Doing community all year
- Request for playforms, will support
- Baby burner finishing school, urges kids to make playforms
- All ages definitively
- Deerfields first
- 6 other properties to look at
- Contract soon, hopefully
- Large property, paved roads, infrastructure
- Positives far outweigh negatives
- Meet and Greet weekend upcoming
- 60 regional contacts east of Miss.
- TFus family leaders
- Verbal confirmation that it gonna happen
- Looking for a seventh member
- Hard year, growth year
- Time to reflect and be intentional
- Outgoing BOD President speech
- Joined 2010 as a newbie, grew to where he is
- Essential things to remember
- We know where we're headed, our community doesn't
- They're looking to us for guidance and info
- Represent our events well
- Get through the winter and we’ll kill it next year
- We spend a lot of time pulling levers and turning dials
- Remember why we're doing this, stop to smell the burn
- Nurturing and helping grow a culture that can make the world a better place
- Things and situations and people that work
- Commonality for all these things is passion
- Our contribution is what we do, and not who we are
- Don't get too invested in the title/position, but what you do
- I've left a lot of groups because I didn't like the work or the people, not true in this case
- Always available to BS or give advice
Date: September 6, 2017
Attending: Carter, Abbi, Leia, Jellyfish, Logick, Jess
- Vendor Conduct agreement
- Themecamp checklist
- Sign all the NDAs
- Retreat agenda
Date: August 23, 2017
Attending: joejoe, kurtal, jellyfish, logick, Jess
- New Trainees
- Retreat Agenda
- 2016 agenda
- 2017 retreat agenda
- Fearless leader is trying to write an email… trying very little and not hard… probably gonna do that soon
- Catered Friday, Sat Lunch, Sun Brunch, Vegans may be SOL
- BYO alco B
- BYO snacks, esp. Vegan snacks
- TLC arrive Friday, meet Sat, Sun as needed/wanted
- Done did that, got approved, good job
Date: August 9, 2017
Attending: Joejoe, Kurtal, Jess, Carter, Abi, Andi, Jellyfish, Leia
- Selecting new Trainees
- Sound post
- Jellyfish started a doc
- Using language that is less “limiting”
- Announce in newsletter, FB page, and group
- Agenda Retreat (need to do this next week)
- Synthesis Meet and Greet
- Work on Retreat Agenda next call
Date: July 26, 2017
Attending: Kurtal, JoeJoe, Logick, Andi, Carter, Jellyfish, Leia, Jess, Abi
- 3rd Weekend July not Transformus event - Ranger Story
- Transformus 2018 will have acoustically trained Rangers
- ~200 people there
- 1AM form - 11PM sound cutoff time wasn't easy burn night
- No problems, easy, only camps invited
- Ice was sold $2/bag - kept landowner busy
- Needed more portos
- Invite other leadership potential folks to the proto-Synthesis
- Create list at retreat.
- Meeting with PDF board members
- Democratic elections = drama
- Constellation in WV Oct.
- Offered site for TFus - 4hrs to Triangle
- They're taking sledgehammers to their org
- Sept 14-18, Pigeon Forge, TN
- Fri- BoD meets, TLC arrives
- Sat- planning committees meet
- Sun- planning committees, cont, and departure
- Mon- departure
- Car Pool
- Flights reimbursed, not for +1s
- No confidence vote on President b/c of signing thankyous. He can stay
- Publish data from Sound Poll?
- When we collect, we should probably publish
- Along with other’s polls if we have them
- We don't have a policy about online conduct, and this situation makes us want to work on that, including reviewing our leadership agreement
- Our leads could use a reminder that they're online conduct can be thought of as “official”
Date: July 12, 2017
Attending: Carter, Logick, Kurtal, Jellyfish, Leia, JoeJoe, Andi, Abi, Dos Manos,
- How y’all doin’? (AKA: If all had gone according to plan, we would be at Deerfields for this meeting)
- Landowner Facebook post
- Leadership picks - BOD approved - time to ask
- Typical question - Time Commitment: biweekly calls, followed by weekly, week at event (40 hours on call, daily meeting), one year commitment. Reupping is a three year commitment.
- Retreat this year
- What’s the next year’s event going to look like
- Amazing payscale, free tickets, health benefits, golf cart on site
- They can keep running their team if they’re a lead, particularly the first year
- They don’t have to say yes/no immediately, think about it
- Feel free to reach out to anyone on the TLC/BOD
- School Donation - all for it. Give official approval. YouCaring.com End of July
- TFus match? Up to $1000
- Other donations? Local Fire Department, etc. - full amount donated last year
- Approved, getting finalized
- BOD is doing everything, we do nothing - only hot tubbing and drinking LaCroix
Date: June 28, 2017
Attending: Jess, Kurtal, JoeJoe, Jellyfish, Logick, Carter, Abi, Leia
- Under $50 a person a night even though it’s swanky
- Remember to take pictures of us working
- Reach out to Deerfields about 2018?
- Remove question mark
- Question is “Are you open to hosting TFus 2018?”
- Want clear list of what we would need to change from last contract
- It’s in WV; last weekend of September
- Burns clustering in Appalachia?
- PDF requested leadership recommendations
- Okay if they make a post in group
- Possibly having event this year
- TLC future plans
- JoeJoe - Out moving to IPA, Jellyfish - Good, Logick - Good, Leia - Interested in continuing as a Trainee, can’t commit to moving up, Abi - 99% staying, Jess - Good, Milkshake - Good, Carter - One more year with minimal work, Kurtal - Out going straight BOD
- Can veto without explanation
- Rate on the Sparkle/Skills chart
- Have 3 to ask and 3 backups
- Need new retreat chef - BOD’s problem - that’s what +1’s are for
- Next meeting July 12th, 8:30
Date: June 14, 2017
Attending: joejoe, carter, abi, jellyfish, jess, phatmonkey, logick
- Leadership Discussion
- Retreat Dates
- Combined retreat? Board and 3 PLC’s together.
- IPA probably on board now
- SPF unknown yet
- TLC vote: unanimous yes
- SEP 14-17 is Ignite!’s target date for retreat
- Across committee’s: 35-40 people with some plus ones
- Need up to 3 liaisons - Nominations next meeting
- Leads and TCO’s, on-site doers, are not necessarily good at meetings and paperwork
- Harmonious people, no conflicts
- Unanimous vote on nominees before asking people - do not need to give reason for no vote
- Gut feeling
- Experience at Transformus
- Communicates effectively
- Replacing skills & personalities that are needed - Lawyer would be nice, as well as other professionals if possible, LEO, EMT, PE, etc.
- Local to event is nice
- Open to feedback and compromise
- Good reputation, known is nice
- Document for TLC suggestions
- Ignite! site visit went very well
- Saw propane safety checks and talked to Vespa about burning effigy and wind conditions
- Spirithaven landowner said that “they take better care of my land than I do when I throw an event.”
- Children questions, possible trial year, needs more talk and reassurance
- Permit - no opposition to starting process
- Land Search Criteria - seems good
- Walk Ons?
- What should we “start doing, stop doing, and continue doing” meeting post events
- Marvin’s Mountaintop for event? Mixed feelings about distance
- Web Team could use some work, aren’t coming to meetings without things to do?
- Moderating guidelines for FaceBook
- Is for FaceBook, not for Event
- Conduct Committee discussion
Date: May 31, 2017
Attending: Did not have Quorum
Date: May 17, 2017
Attending: Kurtal, Jellyfish, Carter, Andi, Jess, Logick, Leia
- Looking for new folks, send suggestions to them
- FGF owners coming to Ignite for one day
- All TLC attending [double check]
- Informal hang time after Town Hall
- Make poll about retreat dates
- Make Transformus requirements for LSC
- Everyone willing to speak, if question pertains to them
- Meeting on-site on Friday or Sat. morning (?) to discuss
- Several folks are willing to answer all other questions
- Questions to anticipate
- Ticket prices
- Deerfields on table for future years?
- Letter says “...2017.” Over a year before next event, all options are open
- Reach out to Deerfields for ‘18 in August
- If we find land that allows all ages, we will become all ages? ---> Barring landowner or county policy, you can expect kids at Tfus ‘18
- Send us venues!
- Difficult to find- size requirements, seclusion, etc
- Data: average minimum time to get to Deerfields for participants in 2016 was 2.5 hours
- Far-reaching community
- Finer points of negotiations
- Reiteration that negotiations were ended abruptly
- We’re all FB Group Admins!
Date: May 3, 2017
Attending: JoeJoe, Andi, abi, leia, logick, catbird, jellyfish, Jess
- Continued Land Search for 2018
- Planning Committee create guidelines/parameters
- Land Search Committee do the active searching
- Planning Committee further vet
- Look for friendly regulatory environments and then search for land within those counties/regions?
- Land search committee volunteers
- Reach out to community for volunteers: FB, Website & Newsletter
- Transformus requirements written down for LSC
- Should it be earlier this year, since there isn’t an event?
- Joint again? Probably not?
- Doodle Poll
- Hot tub required, properly maintained, cheap desired
- Write down what you do, how long it takes
- Pull in a documenter?
- Want the notes from GLC
- 9 block grid - Sparklepony vs. Skills
Attending: JoeJoe, Kurtal, Jellyfish, Logick, Catbird, Andi, Abi, Leia, Carter, Jessamyn
- BRD - Not renting land while they are trying to sell
- FGF - District Councilman is a friend of the owner
- Spirithaven - We can use neighbor’s plots for parking
- If we use everywhere we park cars at Ignite! to instead camp, Spirit Haven says 2000 is fine. Optimistic?
- City Planning is going to go look this weekend
- Not available during Pennsic - July 28 - Aug 13
- Are we done for this year?
- Vote - Event @ SH - III; Yes - IIIII; No, but not SH - II
- Community wants a burn - whether or not it’s perfect
- Is the energy to put on this imperfect year going to detract from future years?
- Team Leadership inventory
- Not absolutely required to have a burn - VC, Tits, Drummers, Conclave, 11th, Moonshiners, FYB, LNT, GTFIO, Towing, Greeters, Signage, DMV, Radio, BOD
- Required - Temple, Effigy, Ranger, Sanctuary, FRT, Logistics, Inventory, DPW, Traffic, DMT, Parking, Gate, DCP, Creativity, Accessibility, TLC
- All fine except...
- TLC - Whatever - VI; Shorter - I; Moved, Tough - III
- Go with SpiritHaven? - opinions
- Owner thinks land can handle it
- Wear and Tear on Leadership
- No smaller than 1250 tickets, TFus goes way harder than Ignite!
- Don’t want to sour Ignite!’s relationship, or they could sour ours somehow
- Capacity - Land and Leadership, teams - Jump from 750 to 1500+ is a big jump - 1250 could be responsible?
- Packing the land is hard on City Planning
- Not our forever plan - Ignite! & TFus are different events with overlapping but not identical constituencies
- Effect on Ignite! Event this year, and on their growth pressure if we bring large event to SH..
- Euphoria temporary space was not their best year
- Teaming up to help Synthesis? Ask if we can help, not elbow in.
- Art, Temple, Effigy, Mad, etc. Grants and City Planning & Ticket Sales are all well past due if we want an event this year
- Community’s tolerance for sound ordinances
- Prefer later cutoffs, but 75% said late sound was not essential
- Do we try to do something at ID?
- “Drop dead” date for contract is 1.5 weeks from today - Voice vote: No event this year
- Message to community by this weekend
- Emphasis on we did lots of stuff?
- Unable to host an event we’d be proud of
- Switching from Desktop QuickBooks to online version
- seems like a slam dunk - cross team treasurer’s decision
Attending: Carter, Leia, Jess, Abi, Logick, Jellyfish
(Kurtal is out; JoeJoe is out, Andi in the woods)
- Possibility of a small trial-run at FGF this year? (Perhaps leadership development 300-500.) Would like to reach out to Legal to chat with a VA (local) lawyer re:permitting, etc.
- PR issues with doing it T-fus weekend if a very small event. (Also, exclusivity issues with it being a very small / invite only event.)
- We agree to ~$250 of lawyer talk
- Poll the community re: necessity of 24 hour sound? (Will send out questions by email for review.)
- Land search updates
- Sites investigated this week were not good (see email)
- Is CGV and BRD the same thing? - Yes
- PDF land search committee has been in touch. (If they eventually buy land, then would love to rent it to us.) How far North are we willing to go? Goal: approximately 5 hours from community center maximum
- Deerfields land overtaxed is a big part of our not having contract this year
- How do we re-acculturate LNT? >> Worry about this when have an event!
- Don’t confuse expectations for land damage vs reasonable wear-n-tear with LNT issues
- Worry about this later
- Contract by end of April? - Loose vote - keep going to end of month
- Discussion of MM as possible location for T-fus or Synthesis
- Info for BMan regarding land search. Need to send him our requirements for land and a paragraph or more we'd like published in the JRS. Things like we are looking for X acres or more, within Y area of the country, Z features, etc. I'd be sure to include neighbors, open land, local laws, etc.
- Written; TLC nitpicked & approved
- “despite other objections I'm still in favor of having an event at spirithaven, even if smallish at like 1k people. Also fine if everyone else wants to skip this year. I feel continuity is important, but time is short.”
- Discussion, yes’s and no’s
- What if date were pushed back?
- Call it? To go to SpiritHaven or not by April 26th.
- Many are quiet b/c they think it’s already too late.
- SpiritHaven tabled until next week April 19th
Attending: JoeJoe, Sweet Ranch, Catbird, Jellyfish, Logick, Leia, Dos Manos
(Andi, Abi & Kurtal are out)
- How to find new leaders (you don’t want to do this forever):
- 9 square grid. Vertical - sparkle pony; Horizontal - skills
- Our leadership interest form was big news
- Conduct Committee - How Firefly does it presentation
- 8 people, want more. Semi-public selection
- More than 3 for us, flexibility
- Firefly Incident Reporting Form - recommendation
- Investigations take an average of 7.5 months
- Categorize events - jerk to pattern to stalking to assault
- Signed confidentiality clause - recommendation
- Sponsors for problem people that aren’t malicious
- Formal process for removed people to return next year
- http://volcor.net - software to manage volunteers
- Burnertickets.com - $1/ticket - tablets to scan tickets
- Interchanges.io - art something or another
- Burnerconnect.com - bookface alternative and much more, city planning, camps, downside - getting people to join
- Have the chamber of commerce do your work for you
- Don’t hold different burns on the same land - one burn has a problem, all burns have a problem
- Contract reviews - sample contract with lots of problems
- Shared Copyrights and Trademarks
- People shouldn’t be selling pics of burns, probably
- Rewards for crowdfunding, receive a necklace vs.. buy a necklace, where’s the money going
- Diversity is the participant’s responsibility, we’re word of mouth - playform
- (un)Official communications
- Online conduct policy
- Get consensus before official communications
- Jack Rabbit speaks announcement of land search
- Nice to have language for them and landowners
- How is this enforced?
- Do restraining orders automatically place someone on the banned list?
- Not automatically, but the distance limits mean it’s generally impossible for them to attend
- How can we protect our community members and not expose the event to risk?
- How to let gate know of the list? How to not create gossip about people on the list? Burnertickets might work better.
- FGF out? This year? Next year?
- Legal Counsel said no - not time for this year to do permitting
- City Planning person spoke highly and can connect us
- Have held another event and can help with permitting
- Boogies don’t hold in the same place year after year, how to link to their land search committee
- Offsite parking being worked on by landowner
- Maybe can hold 1500, definitely 1000, with offsite parking
- Overtaxed Deerfields with people, don’t want to do that again
- Will people return 2 months after Ignite!
- Easier to plan
- If Synthesis wants it, we should back down?
- Chance to reaculture people to importance of DPW and LNT and etc.
- Drop dead date for not having this event this year
- End of April?
- How much work can we do in the time?
- 1250 event, 1500, 1750, 2000?
Attending: Carter, Joejoe, Kurtal, Jellyfish, Catbird, Leia, Logick, abi
- TLC Bios
- BMan rep letter about all ages
- FG wants to try a year 18+
- We want to plan this well, not just do it
- We are prepared to lose sanctioning this year if need be
- We understand the expectation, tabled
- <Person’> Profiles were all blocked - their picture was a threat
- <Other Person> attacking several people
- Ban him?
- We need a procedure, or a policy?
- Work within exist channels
- Report harassing and bullying posts to Facebook
- Communication to him and BM simultaneous
- FGF is not a slam dunk, backups?
- Permitting and waivers and stuff, let's keep pursuing other places
- FGF - Map w/ Pics & Videos
- Site Visit 2, the Sitening, 3/25
- General: woot, great day.
- Sound Test: 100dB @ speakers = 56 dB @ nearest house. 62dB is limit. Test was performed at closest spot to closest house, suggest having sound camps at opposite end. We may still technically exceed, hopefully a letter beforehand will help?
- City Planning: “1000 as is, 1500 when they clear the underbrush they say they’ll have done in two weeks, over that needs work.”
- Suggestion from DCP: Base Ticket Release and then ticket codes for completing 2 work weekends.
- Parking:“keep it under 2000 people, parking on-site won’t be a problem.”
- Gravel: Don’t want road around circle, are happy to gravel all driving slopes and widen parts of driveway to allow people to pass each other - they get the quotes, we pay for it.
- <contract requirements>
- Lawyer & Permitting:
- See emails from FGF needs to be zoned. Next step?
- Call lawyers, see who's interested and confident
- Call NC Lawyer - what do I need to know before I call these lawyers
- Anything for Mysterian Musings?
- Next meeting 4/5
Attending: abi, jellyfish, joejoe, logick, kurtal, leia, catbird, andi, Jess, carter
- Community has moved past this generally
- Bios: Fill ‘em out - BoD & TLC
- BMan rep urges us to consider being on the TLC a job and to therefore take nights and weekends off - proposal we table this meeting in that light indefinitely
- Land Search 2017 - please fill out with gathered info
- Pros: Owners, stream, layout, firm land, secluded, anytime now-Oct.
- Cons: No services, no gravel, no permit knowledge, parking tight?
- Porto trucks need gravel
- Optional, allow driving when it’s dry, don’t allow when it’s wet.
- Next steps: sound test, permitting research, city planning/parking
- Let’s pursue a weekday sound test?
- Make sure DCP and Parking want to continue, get them up as soon as possible
- Did not talk about money on first visit
- Gravel, $1k for a ¼ mile, $12.5k quote for ¾ mile
- Move forward on getting a quote, we’ll pay for a road, work-play weekends
- ID (3 from Central NC, 5 from Asheville)
- Pros: Huge, secluded, easy, 7/15 & 9/16 weekends open
- Cons: BM misunderstanding, no water features, cost?
- Gut, this is someone else’s land, maybe right for Synthesis
- Contract ASAP, land improvements our cost
- Board wants us to not to have our burn in October or September, those are Synthesis’s dates, we will assist them if we can’t do our event in July
- Let’s throw a messy event on our date rather than not throw an event?
- Community reaction to a rougher event
- “Back to the roots”
- Something burny is apparently happening at Deerfields on TFus weekend
- Hope people get what they need from it
- Age (it aint nuthin but a number)
- 2017 is 18+
- BOD says it is our decision
- Tabled for now
- Leadership should stay off Facebook for their own health
- Mysterian Musings content due Monday 3/27 - probably nothing
- Next Meeting 3/29
Attending: JoeJoe, Kurtal, Logick, Leia, DosManos, Jellyfish, Catbird, Carter
- Transformus 2017 Deerfields contract negotiations report feels
- Talked to the news for 30 seconds,
- “Please talk to Deerfields about why negotiations ended”
- Analysis of 89 community responses as of Sunday, 10 since then
- Community Response Form Responses
- 5 said What the hell did you do/I would have paid more
- 35 Thanks for all you do/Support the board
- 7 said kids please, 10 said keep it 18+
- 5 said lake please, 2 said please no lake
- 1000-1500 people at SpiritHaven?
- Only way we can put an event together this summer?
- We need four-five months of planning from signing
- Conflict with BurningMan timing
- A lot of leadership, including TCOs, have plans around then
- Can we do this before Labor Day?
- If after Labor Day, help Synthesis have an event this year?
- People have been making some other summer plans given the uncertainty of the event this year, maybe can't sell 2000 tickets.
- Probably can't do anything at our current cap this year
- Two burners who've offered their land
- Alchemy moved…
- This year is this year…
- There will be bumps and pains regardless, 1000 or 2000 people
- Five hours max from central NC
- We have a little bit of time to work on this year
- We have at least 6 reasonable choices to explore
- Assign. Early contacts. Some digging. Come back next week and talk about them.
- Land Search Results - Land Search Results Organized
- This was developed by talking to our current events, must haves are no-goes, optional things are great but can live without, considerations can be no-gos
- Total of 60 currently, 18 repeats, 2 your mom’s, 4 for sale: 36 leads
- Emphatic no on buying property
- Spirithaven - about 10 acres open
- Currently we use at least 20, more likely 35+15 for parking
- Two burners offered their land
- 120 acres in Floyd, VA
- 400 acres in Rocky Mount, VA
- Call tomorrow, give y'all more info, shoot for Sunday visits
- Land Search Committee - we are it - get their input
- Sales from 2016 stats
- Salisbury, NC is center- used all 2016 census responses of more than 5 people, split up large ones into largest cities
- This is a function of existing location, not necessarily of demand
- Size in usable acres 50+
- Allows Fires
- Good Parking/Roads
- Water Access Desired in responses
- 18+ / All ages is 50/50 in responses
- Fixed the volunteer signup problem (“I can’t clear my shift.”) on both the Ignite! and Transformus sites - great job
- Why don't we want to buy land statement?
- “The board has no interest to purchase land at this time.”
- “The TLC is interested in running an event, not in owning land.”
- Name Mysteria on new land? Tabled
- Next Meeting 3/22 8:00 PM
Date: 3/8/17 <Here forward was previously released in Negotiations Report>
Attending: JoeJoe, Abi, Andi, Jellyfish, Logick, Catbird, Leia, Jess, Kurtal, Carter
Visitors: BOD: Dutch, Vreanie, Kricket
- Drafting a response
- Do we consider this the end of negotiations?
- Yes IIIII III
- Maybe changed to Yes on further thought I
- No changed to Yes on further thought I
- Yes, unless Deerfields reopens III
- LNT has always been a struggle
- Let's responsibly share the communications
- We had just started, Deerfields was done.
- A report has gone over well before
- We need to be the ones to reveal this, but only in a planned way
- Statement within 24 hours with report coming
- Art team will be meeting to Jury Monday
- Let's tell SPF7 and IPA and communications tonight if we can make a good statement
- ShangriLa, Cap, deposit, cash at the gate…
- Letter in the follow up
- There's no NDA with no signed contract
- Facebook is going to go crazy
- Let's have a google form for community feedback
- Keep it simple and open ended
- Not too many/no leading questions
- Team leads to be notified shortly before we announce
- Go update your team leads info!!!!!
- Link to land search form
- A lot of people are going to respond very strongly to this, let's ride the waves - a couple members can watch more than usual for the next days
- Let's get communications involved
- We don't need to be defensive
- “Deerfields has broken off negotiations”
- Let's keep the initial response very simple and put the details in the report
- “This is not the end of Transformus, this is the end of the beginning of Transformus.”
<quiet - editing of community response and form>
- Land search suggestion form all over
- Let's elect a couple people to find out about our options
- Discussion of three known options
- What are we doing?
- We're in crisis mode, who will take 2500 people?
- Some TFus is better than no TFus
- Look at the land search questions
- Moving means that if we want sanctioning, we have to go all ages, at least after this year in transition, we’ll have to plan that and that's a lot of planning
- Short term we need to find a place for TFus this year, but long term we need to find a place for more than 2500 people.
- Some places on the SPF7 location form were ruled out for being close to Ignite! and deserve a new look for this.
- We need a go-no go date and distance/not worth it ratio
- BM Regional Contact will contact Burning Man tomorrow
- All communications need to happen at once
- President email in the AM 7:00
- Communications website also AM 7:30
- Closer together the better
- This isn't going to be fun, no matter what
- Need a newsletter
Attending: Kurtal, JoeJoe, Catbird, Logick, Abi, Carter, Leia, Jellyfish,
Visitors: Department of City Planning: Sundance, Puck, PyroCelt, Jacqueline
- Closed effigy and temple applications on time
- City planning: what is the impact of no theme camps in Shangri-la?
- Jedi Training and Landing Pad are ~80% of the people displaced
- 140+ people in the Shangri-La applications, no idea who else,
- We’d need to clear brush out of a couple new areas to keep cap, can't fit on current footprint without Shangri-la
- We have made cap of 2500 work, but dropping another 200 would make things a lot easier, regardless of Shangri-la
- DCP1: We're not out of space, we’re tight. No Shangri-la, drop 200
- DCP2: Mud has been ridiculous, dropping some could help, 2 years ago we scrambled a lot with open camping, if we lose Shangri-la this will be hard again
- DCP3: Fewer people, less stress on land. Eden was packed, Avalon is at an angle and maybe can hold 20 more at a bad angle
- Parking can get real bad in the lower left corner, a few less people, we won't have to use it.
- If we limited vehicles (RVs) we could move the Shangri-la camps to Arganoth
- Accessibility? 1-2 RVs in Arganoth are there for this reason
- All RVs last year were for disability or grandfathered for one year
- Sherwood forest (old road behind Eden) wasn't pushed last year as an open camping spot, could possibly hold a 20 camp and a 50 camp, but would need clearing
- Deerfields said they'd do it in 2014 and Rangers had to camp in Eden because it wasn’t cleared out after all
- Deerfields has talked about clear cutting new camping areas
- For many years, hasn’t ever happened
- Opening camping by the “chapel”, probably a no go
- Deerfields said they would put up bollards around burn field to keep vehicles off it, they didn't
- A barricade in front of the porch corner would prevent any problems
- Even a wood fence to hit before the roof is hit would be smart
- Limit it to a specific truck length and no trailers
Attending: JoeJoe, Kurtal, Logick, Jellyfish, Dutch, Abi, Cartier, BothHands, Andi, Leia, Catbird
- Review of negotiation with Deerfields
- Deerfields big sticking points:
- No camping or motors in Shangri-La
- At the bare minimum we’re dropping ticket cap by 144 (150)
- More traffic everywhere - drop by 250+
- Often smart to over correct and then adjust back later with data
- More cap reduction will create a more upset community, need to be able to justify number
- This includes limiting most art and “theme camp like” things like rain structures and kitchens in Shangri-La
- Could also limit camp sizes - we might need to turn camps away
- Who is going to police Shangri-La for “camp-like camps”?
- Put in contract “all private agreements between LandOwner and camps” that violate this contract are landowner's’ responsibility
- Eliminate all open camping except in Shangri-La?
- What is primitive camping? No generators, no vehicles, no placement
- Voted on 250 minimum reduction,
- Ticket price will need to be ~$125 with 250 drop, $130 with 500, assuming no other increase in costs
- Board can come in Sunday 6-8pm, no gate
- $10 parking and $10 road fee not meant as double fees
- $5 per person early mostly dropped
- $10 per event day and $5 early day seems to be desired
- Minor per head fee increase should clean this up
- Vote on max per head fee increase: $1-2 max
- Majority of Transformus comes from within 4 hours of Deerfields
- Active land search committee for Transformus
- Want city planning for next meeting
- Landscaper involvement
- We don't want an open bill
- Don't want to start a new relationship and negotiation
- Change deposit to land Restoration fee?
- Leave by Tuesday and we’re done
- No separate or overage fees later
- Start at $7.5k
- Higher it goes the less we want to pay per capita
- Swords and knives - ask lawyer when they bring anyways
- Land owner can not talk to volunteers
- Landowner not to be present during event?
- Art cars can not move during saturation per owner
- Nothing in contract preferable, maybe we agree before event on art car policy - good opportunity for us to improve
- Stage and 35’ feet to fire, not a problem
- Violation of lease, change to 3 hours OK
- No box trucks - nope
- CDL required for trucks over 22’ and escort
- We’re going to extend temple and effigy by at least a week
- Next meeting: 2/29 Ad hoc - Meeting every week until contract signed
- Try to set new ticket dates
Attending: joejoe, catbird, logick, jellyfish, dutch, carter, kurtal, andi, abi, jess
- Sanctioning - happens much closer to the event
- Lease signed by Jan 1
- Art grant applications open - done (Open until 2/20)
- Afterburn published - Secretary is trying
- Team lead info collection - reminder, do that
- Drop dead Leads/Co-Leads chosen by End of Month
- Double choose ticket dates - push again
- Ticket Sales Round 1 February 12 1414 Eastern - push
- Team shift finalizations - needed by ticket first round, but not before website moves
- Treat present
- BOD has added comments - no problems from TLC
- We can not use the land the Sunday before our event if we stick to third Saturday
- Are we stretching our dates because we need to or because it's convenient?
- Landscaper discussion
- Seems like double jeopardy
- Landscaper will never underestimate how much damage should be repaired
- Talk to our lawyer about reasonable wear and tear and what that is
- Pristine two weeks after the event is unreasonable
- It's going to vary depending on the rain
- After a Mudformus, resodding could be $30-50k
- Let's find out what the problem spots are, not every place is critical
- Things have been sloppy on both ends
- Every year that it rains, John Jay is upset, and it rains every year
- It would be nice if we had specific duties to perform in the contract to restore the land
- We would have to create this list
- Focus energies on burn field
- If we have specific things, there need to be specific things about the quality of the roads and land when we arrive in the contract
- Generally he has wanted $5 per day per person
- That's basically $70k, we paid $105k including deposit
- 2500 people from Thursday to Monday: 2500 x 5 days x $5 = $62,500
Using numbers from last year pre-thursday entry:
- 80 ppl monday = 80 x $15 = 1200
- 400 ppl tuesday = 400 x $10 = 4000
- 600 ppl wednesday =600 x $5 = 3000
- $62,500 + $8,200 = $70,700
- Need to get box trucks to Valhalla
- Clarification on what's too big is needed
- Clarification on what's the problem
- Not that many trucks or camps - 10 max. Seems easier to educate these camps than to educate volunteers.
- Make drivers liable for damage to cabin? Educate the gift tree traffic volunteer? Hasn’t previously worked. We damage this thing every year and that's ridiculous. We can do more, they all come in early.
- Deerfields in charge of art car movement also a deal breaker
- We want to do better and want to make better policies
- DCP recommends that Backdoor Brigadiers become a separate team this year.
- Radios, cart, directed tickets, separate sign-up for volunteers on
- Where's the line between DCP and BB?
- BB is there to keep open camping from overflowing and vice versa, they're also the point of contact in neighborhoods
- Creativity requests a separate art grant email blast put out to the list
- Only four so far with a month to go, low
- $40-70 is the cost, fine
- Add effigy and temple to it
Attending: JoeJoe, Jellyfish, Catbird, Logick, Carter, Kurtal, Jess, Leia, Andi, Abi
- Reading of the contract, 10 minutes of silent contemplation
- Contract math
- 2500 people x $40
- 1300 cars x $10
- +$3000 stages
- +$1500 parking lot
- +$5 per person per day (need to pull tix scans)
- 80 ppl monday = 80 x $15 = 1200
- 400 ppl tuesday = 400 x $10 = 4000
- 600 ppl wednesday =600 x $5 = 3000
- = $125,700 (+$10k security) (~$105,000 2016 including security deposit loss)
- No theme camps in Shangri-la, primitive allowed
- No vehicles period past bridge - ATVs included
- Landing pad + Jedi Training, etc., 200+ people camp up there
- Get placed #’s from City Planning
- These camps keep 100’s of people out of Valhalla at night, spreads people out
- $30 land fee + $10 traffic fee per person + $10 per car + $5 per early day
- 2016 land use fee was $39 per person total
- $5 Early entry fee per person per day before THURSDAY
- Cash paid at gate
- Does not include BOD, team leads...but does include all volunteers and theme camps
- Parking passes - we collect money
- Compressing the time that people show up/cars are allowed on premises will increase land damage, which fees before thursday will do
- Would rather just pay him more money he wants than do these nickel and dime cash things - no cash collections - Deerfields doesn’t have to manage
- We are renting the land for the time that we’re there, not for a subset of the contracted times
- Deerfields needs to stop undermining our contractual obligations by allowing people on that we don’t control
- Wristbands delivered thursday before event
- Sunday please - we have to travel
- Parking fee - need to clarify that $10 per person and $10 per car are separate costs
- Water vendor?
- Clarify intent, is ice water? We don’t sell water.
- All repairs need to be done by Tuesday post event, trash removed
- Want clarity that we did lose deposit in 2014 and 2016
- Wrap up of event costs need to be part of retreat
- Pre and Post event walk throughs need to happen
- Video of walk through could have value
- “If the landowner does not show up for post-event walk through, deposit is automatically returned.”
- Bargain 10k down to 5k and add language of how/why deposit forfeited
- Checklist of deposit items
- Need next weekend to continue repairs?
- Need to establish what “reasonable repair” means for the land in a rain forest with mud
- Parking lot $1500, stage $2000, little stage $1000
- Must clean up parking area in contract
- Why are we paying $1500 for the lot + $10 per car
- We should LNT the parking lot anyways because burn
- $1k increased to $3k for stages without improvements
- Cover repairs with security deposits
- Establish that there is a problem on small stage, not just a grab for more money
- Payment in full by May 9th
- Previously 10% we held and now months earlier
- If you want to raise the security deposit we want to hold 10%
- Clarification of what is a weapon
- No posting of contract or any financial aspects of this contract.
- That was in the 2016 lease, too (and should be abolished)
- Surveying community on these changes would give us leverage
- Wording that “we want to understand how much that will impact the community”
- No TLC engagement on FB of reaction
- Reminder: Deerfields is on our facebook page
- We want to be able to say that the price jacked because of land costs, not because just cuz
- Traffic control and plan required “for entirety of event” vs. entirety of contract
- Must cover dry time and rain… no difference really
- Must speak to Emergency Services prior to event to arrange access
- Parking plan required - had last year
- k. If land owner yells at staff and not BOD/TLC what happens?
- l. Dumpster picked up Wednesday, not Tuesday
- Art cars grounded during ingress/egress (unless effectively moving people in/out), rain and saturated ground
- There are different levels of rain, what does rain mean?
- Deerfields controls when they can drive effectively
- “Land owner doesn’t want cars driving by his cabin period”
- “Here are some of the steps we want to implement this year to address these issues, before you add contractual language.”
- Transformus will have art car guidelines that are subject to landowners approval
- No art car flame effects except on burn field / fuel and flame 35’ from pavilion
- Only stationary flame effect use?
- We don’t need a helicopter parent at a burn “I almost got burnt!”
- Keep TFUS potentially 3rd degree burnable
- Move lamplighter’s, conclave, propane, that one propane tank?
- Lessee’s default - 3 hour warning
- There are no laid out lessor requirements in the contract
- Section 10 is where that would go
- Repair to bridges, not living up to contract items
- Things in letter but not in lease
- No box trucks past the upper lake cabin
- He’s actually concerned about people who are new and don’t know how to drive their rented truck
- Move Valhalla to Eden, can’t
- Corner of cabin, and damage to grass between cabin and darkstarr
- Downgrading to smaller vehicles will just increase traffic
- City planning knows how many box trucks
- We can communicate to camps that they need more of a plan
- Whats a large box truck and quieting the landowner has value
- Box trucks are a major problem for traffic
- Can only come in by Wednesday, must leave Tuesday, stay at camp
- Retain landscaper for Resto
- That’s what the deposit is for if needed
- Clean up time in letter doesn’t match contract
- Age limit is not in the contract
- Secretary’s phone died for five-ten minutes and no notes were taken
- Next step - face to face convo with landowner
- Write up our version and send it to our lawyer
- We should drop ticket cap by 500-750 if we follow all these restrictions
- Shangri-la is damaged by feet, not trucks, it’s a mud pit
- Have our lawyer and their lawyer hash it out next year?
- They’ll come back to us and say “are you ok with this?”
- Some of these items are things we knew were problems and already wanted to address
- Team Status. Are all Leads chosen/on board?
- Hal / blueberries
- Someone dropped off bushes and Hal’s happy-ish
- The more we can keep CP in the loop on “here are where the negotiations are”, the happier they are and the better they can do their job
- Next meeting 02/08/2017
Attending: Carter, Joejoe, Logick, Catbird, Jellyfish, Leia, Kurtal, Andi, Jess, Abi
- Calendar for January Says:
- Sanctioning - President to president this thing ← email sent already.
- Effigy & Temple applications open - Tentative end date Feb 26th
- Mysterian musing deadline is this Monday,
- Art grant applications open
- Lease signed by Jan 1
- Financials are not done
- Doesn’t need to be as long as last year’s
- Drop dead Leads/Co-Leads Chosen
- Discussion of leads/co-leads
- Team lead info collection
- Ticket sales wanted Feb 12th & Mar 15th
- Move one-two weeks - Feb 26th 14:14 & Mar 22nd 21:14
- Need to give people one month’s notice
- Send out separate email as well as this Month’s Mysterian Musings announcement of dates
- In and Out Tix - approved as written last meeting
- SELC this weekend, who’s going?
- Transformus Facebook
- Can remove all sell/buy other burn’s tickets - direct to ticket/ride share group
- Leave alone announcements of other Burn’s ticket sales
- Delete all other ads, raves, requests for money for services/goods
- GLC - three people per burn tentative, preference to people who haven’t been, BOD pays ticket and $500 stipend tentative
- Let our BOD liaison know if you’re interested in going, whether or not you can pay for it
Attending: Kurtal, Carter, Nick, Logick, Catbird, Leia, Abi, Andi, BothHands
- Negotiators will soft nudge Deerfields
- Compile afterburn
- FLOW quote - 3 Events
- Team Leads & Co-Leads Finalized by End of Year
- Unofficial Towing Team
- In/Out expansion
- Leadership Interest Form
- 2017 lead info form is live, send it out
- If they’re not on the form - they don’t get a directed ticket
- Clean up your email lists - new Leads/CoLeads need to get the emails
- Formally accept cross-burn proposal
- Most TFus leads do not get directed tickets to Ignite!
- Inform leads, they inform coleads OR update the list and send to that
- Tell the community thru Mysterian Musings
- Increase InOut tickets with added days
- Want to see the plans of them actually divying up
- Need to be clear who is in charge at what time
- 15% holdback & 5% for board costs
- Recap of last meeting
- Carter to get Rental quote soon
- Land Use, Rentals, & Flow are ⅔ of the budget - determine ticket price
- Once we get these three, set ticket price as low as possible w/20%
- More workhorses for longer
- Handwagons for GTFIO
- Rent or Buy - Part of team budgets
- Radios were always available 2016
- More retreat/travel $ in case - $150 a person on average is good
- More donations
- Tell teams we’ll donate more if they budget less
- Keep it local + strongly suggested BurningMan
- Up donations by $1000
- Research more local options
- Extremely Local options were mostly Faith based
- Expand search to Asheville/Brevard
Attending: Nick, Andi, JoeJoe, Abi, Logick
- Finish Lease analysis
- Compile afterburn
- Sample budget created
- FLOW quote - 3 Events
- Team Leads & Co-Leads Finalized by EOY & they Fill out Form
- Clean up your email lists
- Facilitate Team Lead Handoff Convo’s
- Make/Send out 2017 TFus Lead Info Form
- Inform Leads there are no directed Ignite tickets this year
- Move things into appropriate Google Doc folders
- Put quotes/receipts in when possible
- Budget talk - 2017 Preliminary Budget
- How to budget funding the LLC? Holdback 15% + 5% is target
- Is EMS/Security in LLC portion? No
- Increase donations to at least 1% of sales? ≈ $3k - No
- Set Team Budget Ceiling - keep at $18k
- Need to talk SERoundtable and travel reimbursements
- Postponed: Pick Wave 2&3 start dates regardless of actual % filled
- Back up from end of volunteer shift signups (Friday, July 7th)
- A month each? (May 12th, June 9th)
Attending: JoeJoe, Kurtal, Catbird, Leia, Logick, BothHands, Milkshake, JellyFish
- 2016 TLC Retreat Agenda/Notes
- Calendar says
- Start Lease analysis, both sides
- Contract needs to be Sunday through EOD Tuesday the next week
- Compile afterburn
- Budget created
- Need to finish out sample budget by next meeting 11/23 - Operating budget of things @ Deerfields, BOD level things with an asterix
- Date to approve budget - EOY
- Finalize Budget on the 12/7 meeting
- Shoot for 15% cushion, may not be possible this year
- FLOW quote
- Team Leads finalized by EoY, so ask now - All
- Leads needed
- Mysterian Musings call for Leads - tell them what you need
- Let Leads know that there are no directed Ignite tickets, happens early December - email
- Make suggestions to update Waiver by EOY and submit to BOD, dates - who?
- Clean up team leads email list
- Scrubs Questions
- Opportunity for clarifications/Q&A
- Liaison/Scrub job description needs to be updated and sent out
- OK to say no and to say things
- Handing off leads needs better coordination - talk to the previous “handler”
- Retreat notes say that we are going to organize grey water pumping, I thought we decided no? - Yes we said no
- Communicate to camps that they need a plan
- Art Cars - unfinished convo?
- Empower art car lead to make policy - needs to be managed but not by us
- Art cars have to follow neighborhood guidelines - part of City Planning Group
- Empower Rangers to shut it down - formal policies to follow for clarity
- Catbird to discuss with City Planning Coordinator and Art Team
- Reminder, sort files in drive into shared folders and new year (teams especially)
- Please be sure that when creating files they are made from within the appropriate folder or are moved to proper folder by owner.
- 2017 TFus Lead Info Form needs filling out? (link to 2016 answers) - make new form and send out
- We really really need our team leads to fill this out as soon as they agree
- Don’t forget to update your team group emails
- Google Drive: Best practice is to make the file in the correct folder, and then you don’t need to do anything else, no sharing required
- Second best practice: move/copy your team lead files into our folders, or make a blank document for them to edit, so it doesn’t disappear
- Co-leads and Leads need to be finalized by EOY, drop-dead in January
- Gear for moonshiners - need new/better stuff, metal deathtraps are bad, make a budget
Next Meeting : 11/23/2016