11.06 Tuition Assistance Policy
Date of Review: Jan 2017
Expiry Date: Jan 2020
- Applications for Tuition Assistance will be submitted to the Board Treasurer and a meeting will be called to complete the assessment.
- Meeting Participants will include Applicant, the Board Treasurer and/or Board Chairperson and at least one Finance Committee member. Participants are bound by their honor to maintain privacy of information. Note: Information received by administrators of Tuition Assistance will be confidential and where possible, all communications from committee to others (i.e. Board, Finance Committee) will be minimal. (The committee should report to the Board each year the total amount of assistance offered and the number of families this involves.)
- Meetings for tuition assistance will be conducted with each applicant in an effort to determine the extent of each applicant’s needs. The guidelines for Tuition Assistance will be utilized to assess the appropriate amount of assistance. Upon agreement a contract will be signed by both parties (parent/school) and forwarded to Bookkeeper for audit/recordkeeping
- The committee is responsible for determining that all assistance promised will fall within the limits of the projected fund donations (based on previous years’). If the committee wishes to extend assistance beyond the limits of the fund, they are responsible for raising the remainder through personal contact with individual donors or through notices in church bulletins and the school Journal. If the committee is unwilling or unable to raise the extra monies required, then the assistance is to be granted on a pro rated basis.
- Assistance will only be available to those who are members in good standing of the ICS Society.
- No application for assistance will be accepted for the coming year after August. 1st.
- All applicants are required to complete the Tuition Assistance Application form(s) and are required to provide previous year’s notice of assessment.
- All applicants are required to make a financial commitment for the school year. The minimum requirement of a family will be 50% of the school year’s full tuition
For example, if the tuition has been set at $12,000, the minimum expected from the family would be $6000. Post-dated cheques totaling this minimum requirement must accompany the application.
- Other factors apart from the T4’s and personal tax returns will be taken into consideration for those families operating their own business. The income of a business is not necessarily comparable to that of a wage earner.
- Final decisions (approval/rejection) on all applications will be made by the administrators of Tuition Assistance or Board.
- The School Bookkeeper will be given a record of those receiving assistance, the amount of assistance received.
- A new application will be required each year assistance is required.
- Applicants who are not satisfied with the administrators of Tuition Assistance' recommendation may appeal the committee’s decision to the Board of Directors.
- Applicants will be asked to pledge to contribute towards the Tuition Assistance Fund, once they no longer personally require assistance, for a period of no less than five years.
Tuition Assistance Application Form
City: _______________________________________________Postal code:
Phone Number: Home: ______________________Work: ________________ Cell:
Marital Status: [ ] Married Single [ ]
- Number of Children: ___________________
- How much you are prepared to contribute: $
- Do you support anyone financially besides your own immediate family?
[ ] Yes [ ] No If yes, how much: $ _______________________per year.
- What is his/her relationship to you?
- Why do you feel you require tuition assistance? Please explain below:
- Realizing that this is temporary assistance, you are asked to pledge to the Tuition Assistance Fund after your children have graduated so that other families can also benefit from this fund. Please check what you are willing to pledge:
[ ] $100 [ ] $200 [ ] $300 [ ] $400 [ ] $500
For [ ] 3 years [ ] 5 years [ ] 10 years [ ] 15 years [ ] 20 years
- You are required to issue post-dated cheques for your share of annual tuition.
- You are required to meet with the Tuition Assistance Committee.
- Please attach your previous year’s ‘notice of assessment’ with this application.
I/We understand the above terms and agree to abide by them. I/We certify that the attached financial information form is correct and complete.
For Committee Use Only
Total amount of assistance required: $
Tuition Assistance recommendations:
Tuition assistance action taken:
Tuition Assistance Application Form
Enter Information – see guidelines on next page
Income before deductions for the year 20__. Expenses for the year 20__.
Salaries & Wages
Father/Male Guardian $ __________ Rent/Mortgage payments $ _________
Mother/Female Guardian $ __________ Insurance: Life, Auto,
Dividends and/or Interest Income $ __________ Health, Home $ __________
Alimony/Palimony received $ __________ Auto Payments $ __________
Child Support received $ __________ Auto Gas & Maintenance $ __________
Net income from business $ __________ Property Taxes $ __________
Farm (notes 1-3) Utilities: Hydro, Gas
Net losses from business $ __________ Phone, Water $ __________
Farm (notes 1-3) Food $ __________
Bonus, Gifts, Other $ __________ Clothing $ __________
Family Allowance Benefits $ __________ Education (tuitions) $ __________
Disability/Unemployment Benefits $ __________ Church/Charitable Donations $ __________
Auto or other expense allowances $ __________ Entertainment & Vacations $ __________
Other non –taxable income $ __________ Charge Card Payments $ __________
Total income taxes paid ($ _________) Debt Reduction $ __________
Total CPP & UIC paid ($ _________) Miscellaneous $ __________
Other payroll deductions ($ _________)
Total Net Income $ __________ Total Expenses $ __________
Continued on Next Page
Present Market Value
Unpaid Mortgage Principal
Other Real Estate
Bank accounts – total of savings and chequing accounts $ _________________
(including college or retirement accounts)
Other investments, net value $ _________________
(Mutual funds, RRSP’s, RESP’s etc.)