IN BRIEF: Spring Postdoc Orientation, Thu., Mar. 10th
The JHPDA invites all postdocs from the SOM, SPH, and SON to attend the spring postdoc orientation. Speakers include individuals from the Registrar, OIS, Health Services, and more. Coffee, tea, and snacks provided! Register here.
When: Thursday, Mar. 10th, 2:00 - 4:30 pm
Upcoming JHPDA Events
Join the JHPDA and GSA for the jocks vs. nerds “mafia style” party! RSVP required - limited to the first 50 postdocs and graduate students who register. Register here.
When: Friday, March 11th, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Where: Wood Basic Science Building ground floor in the GSA lounge (outside the West lecture hall)
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Shuttle Social-Brewer’s Art in Mount Vernon, Tue., Mar 15
JHPDA invites you to a shuttle social at Mount Vernon Marketplace, Baltimore’s new foodie destination! Look for the yellow balloon to find your fellow postdocs.
When: Tuesday, March 15, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: 1106 N. Charles St, Baltimore, MD, 21201
Transportation:JHMI - Homewood shuttle, Monument-Peabody stop.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Postdoc Coffee Break - Taxes Filing Information
Join JHPDA for a coffee break and learn about taxes filing for postdocs along the way.
When: Thursday, Mar 17, 1:00 - 2:30 pm
Where: MRB 181
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development and Careers Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
Institute for Excellence in Education Conference, Fri, Mar 11, 8.00 am -5.00 pm (more info). Registration Free for SOM, SON, BSPH Students/trainees
- 2016 NIH Regional Seminar; Topic: Program funding and grants administration, great opportunity for Hopkins fellows. When: May 11-13; Where: Baltimore Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, Registration and seminar info here.
- Biomedical Careers Initiative internship offerings info session Mar 14, 12:00 PM, registration and more info here.
- Career Clinic - Interviewing skills workshop focusing on STAR technique for answering interview questions, the rationale behind specific questions and provides examples of how to answer common interview questions. When: Tues, Mar 15, 12:00-1:00 PM, Where: 490 Rangos Building, N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD. Registratio and more info here.
- Boston consulting group advanced degree recruiting event. When: Mar 17, 5:30 PM, Where: MRB G01, More info and RSVP here.
- Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures - Commercialization Academy (details here)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Lasker Essay contest 2016 registration is now open, this exciting challenge engages young scientists and clinicians in a discussion about the big questions in biology and medicine today. for more info click here.
- Baltimore Under Ground Science Space (BUGSS) is a local non-profit public lab space that offers a safe space for anyone to learn, discuss, and do science. We are seeking help from local scientists, please consider these unique opportunities to interact with the public! For more info click here
- Advancing Postdoc Women Guide Book: essential information for postdoc women in their careers; provided by National Postdoctoral Association (download) (posted 1/18)
- Funding opportunity, Career Guidance for Trainees awards from Burroughs Wellcome Fund ($30,000-$50,000); 3/16 deadline, details here (posted 12/21)
- Download free booklet on marketable skills and transition to the next phase of your career (from Science Magazine; here) (posted 11/02)
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- NIH is seeking qualified scientists to serve as program directors for the BRAIN Initiative, to learn more and apply click here.
- Postdoc position (funded by unique public-private partnership; available immediately); develop novel diagnostic assays for detection of nucleic acids on silicon microchips (details) (posted 2/1)
- Postdoc position in mechanisms and susceptibilities of cancer driver genes; lab of Dr. David VanderWeele, National Cancer Institute (details) (posted 1/18)
- T Rowe Price internship for next spring/summer is open to postdoctoral fellows; preliminary letters of interest invited (details)
- Postdoc in genomics and bioinformatics at the University of Lorraine in Nancy, France (details & contact) (posted 1/10)
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
- ...For events around baltimore check the list here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.