Respondus is a Windows-based software application that allows the creation and management of quizzes, tests, or surveys quick and easy. Assessments can be printed on paper or published directly to Blackboard. In addition, Respondus also provides the user many with time-saving tools such as an equation editor, multimedia functions, and web links.
Some of the features of Respondus include:
- Create assessments and surveys "offline" using a Windows interface.
- Insert tables, format font, and add bulleted items similar to a word processor.
- Insert mathematical and scientific symbols using Equation Editor or MathType.
- Incorporate graphics, video, and audio.
- Create random sets of questions using the Wizard
- Publish assessments directly into Blackboard
- Retrieve exams, reports, scores, statistics, and answer distributions from Blackboard
UM-Flint has a campus-wide license for the Respondus software. Our license does not permit instructors to obtain support directly from Respondus, Inc. If our staff are unable to solve a particular question or problem, we will contact Respondus, Inc. on your behalf.
Our license does permit you to install a copy of the Respondus software on a home computer. However, please note that you are not permitted to provide the Respondus software or the password information to anyone who is not affiliated with our institution.
To install Respondus:
- Point your browser to http://oel.umflint.edu/respondus/respondus.htm and click on the Setup Application link.
If you are downloading the software to an off campus computer, you will be prompted for your username and password. Insert your email@example.com and your LAN password. This should authenticate the system and allow you to continue the download.
- Windows 95, 98, NT4, ME, 2000, XP, Vista ( (Macintosh users can run Respondus using Windows emulation software such as Connectix VirtualPC
- Minimum of 32 MB RAM
- 10 MB of free hard disk space
- Click Run to start the installation process immediately, or click Save and save it to your hard drive to be run later. If you wish to install the equation editor, make sure you have all other windows closed, or else it will fail to install correctly.
- During the installation process, you will be asked to enter the name of the institution, the local support contact, and the installation password. This information can be obtained from our password protected site located at: http://oel.umflint.edu/respondus/respondus.htm .
- Respondus will ask you what CMS Personality you want to associate Respondus with. This is the online course software you will be working with. For our purposes, select Blackboard 6.3-9.x.
**Note: We recommend that you accept the default settings for where the program is installed. It's important to note that you are not able to download the software directly from the Respondus website, nor are you able to use the password listed above to activate a copy previously downloaded from their site.
Creating a Test through Respondus:
- Under the Start tab, click on the Create button.
- In the Create New File window, give a name for your test or survey in the Name of File field; give a description in the Description field; under Type of File, select either Test or Survey, then click OK.
- The Edit menu is displayed. You will see the following fields in this window.
- Title of Question: Enter the title or description for the question.
- Question Wording: Enter the text of the question.
- Point Value: Assign a point value for the question.
- Add to End of List adds the question to the end of the test. Insert into List inserts the question in any highlighted area in the bottom half of the window. For the first question, select Add to End of List.
**Note: Other fields will be available depending on the type of question selected. For instance, a Multiple Choice question will have Possible Answers and Select Correct Answer as fields.
Creating a Test from a Text File:
- Under the Start tab, click on the Import Questions button.
- In the Import Questions window, select the type of file format, either text (.txt) or rich text (.rtf).
- Select the file by clicking on Browse next to the File name field.
- Under Choose where to add the new Questions, select Create a New Document, named, and type in the name you want to give the file. Select also whether this is an exam or a survey.
- Click the Preview button. This alerts you to any warning messages. Click the Finish button to complete the import process.
**Note: The text files have to be in a specific format; otherwise, Respondus will not recognize the questions. For the correct formats please see the Respondus Question Types helpguide.