Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wednesday, 9/02, 5:30 pm
Where: Miller Research Building, 181
Contact: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
All are welcome to learn about issues affecting our diverse postdoc community.
When: Monday, 8/24, 6:00 - 7:00 pm
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Internationals Committee Meeting
Join us in discussing and planning internationally-themed events for the postdoc community; all welcome!
When: Tuesday, 8/25, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
Where: Cobblestone Cafe (Near Einstein Bagels)
Contact: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy Committee Meeting
Learn about issues affecting the postdoctoral community; all welcome!
When: Tuesday, 8/25, 4:00 - 5:00 pm
Where: Wenz Cafe
Contact: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development Committee Meeting
Join us to learn about different initiatives taken up by the committee for professional development of postdocs.
When: Thursday, 8/27, 1:00 - 2:00 am
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Stanley Andrisse
Co-president: Rohan Gupta
Treasurer: Nick Wyhs
Secretary: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Anna Blice-Baum and Pankhuri Vyas
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. More information here.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. More information here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. More information here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: JHPDA Socials Committee - join today!
Do you want to help plan fun activities to do with fellow postdocs? The JHPDA Socials Committee is looking for new members to help plan events for the upcoming year!
Last year, the Socials Committee organized multiple outings, including: a ski trip, hiking trips, paintballing, ice skating, the upcoming Orioles game (see below), and the monthly shuttle socials. What do you want to do this year?
Join the Socials Committee at their next meeting!
When: Tuesday, August 18th, 9:30 - 10:30 am
Where: Atwater’s (855 N. Wolfe St.)
Questions? Contact Justin La Favor
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Orioles game with JHPDA, Fri., Aug 21st
Join the JHPDA for a night at Camden Yards as the Orioles take on the Twins.
When: Friday, August 21st, starts at 7:05 pm
Where: Camden Yards
Sign up: here
Limited number of $6 tickets are available, so Sign Up Today!
Questions? Email: email@example.com
Postdoc intramural sports teams - soccer & volleyball!
The JHPDA invites you to play fall intramural sports with your fellow postdocs! Now recruiting players of all levels for soccer (Wednesday nights) and volleyball (Thursday nights). Games will begin the week of 9/14; see the flyer for additional details.
Cost: $200 team fee to be split amongst all team
Membership: must be Cooley Center member -OR- purchase a $50 short term membership
Sign-up here by Monday, August 31st
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Development Opportunities
JHPDA Research Presentation Club: Dates through December now available!
Come join the Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Receive feedbacks from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Dates through December now available!
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
No events this week, check back next week for more events!
Additional Professional Development Events
- Writing Accountability Groups (WAGs)
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- Turning your science into a company (due 8/20; details)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Chess coach needed for Hampstead Hill Academy: teach chess fundamentals & take part in city wide tournaments; includes stipend. 1 day/week, 2:40 - 4:00 pm, mid-Sept. until end of May (contact Geraldine Swann)
- National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) combined call for workshops, innovation in action sessions, and posters for the 2016 Annual Meeting now open through 10/02/15 (details)
- Association of Women in Science - recruiting new Executive Board leaders (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Postdoctoral position with the Immunodiagnostics and Proteomics Team in the Poxvirus and Rabies Branch (PRB) of the CDC (details) (posted 8/17)
- Various postdoctoral fellowship positions available at Pharmaceutical R&D company AbbVie (details; explore position openings) (posted 8/17)
- Multiple postdoctoral fellowships in computational biology at newly-formed Department of Biomedical Informatics at Harvard Medical School (details) (posted 8/17)
- Postdoc position at Glaxo Smith Kline in Bethesda, MD (details) (posted 8/10)
- Assistant professor of Psychology, human neuroscience available at Goucher college (details) (posted 7/13)
- NSF’s Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) seeking panelists for the 2016 competition, including postdoctoral researchers; register with CV or NSF biosketch (details) (posted 7/13)
- Postdoctoral fellowship at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program (CPFP) - accepting applications (details, due 8/25/15) (posted 7/13)
- Postdoctoral position in stem cells and regenerative mechanisms in epithelial organs with Dr. Sarah Knox’s lab, UCSF Department of Cell and Tissue Biology and Program in Craniofacial Biology (details) (posted 7/06)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
Events Around Baltimore
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.