List of Google Chrome Extensions from @tommyspall
goo.gl url shortener is an extension which allows you to shorten the current website URL with the Google URL Shortener service.
- Great for when you need to get your students to type in a link. Much easier when it’s short. Shorten the URL and Extension-Smash with CraftyText to throw up on board and let your students copy.
- Excellent analytics to show you how many students are actually clicking on the link and visiting your linked site.
- Makes great QR codes which can be used as a website scavenger hunt around your classroom or school. Great to make a QR “All about my classroom” link and post outside your class.
Tab Cloud allows you to save any window session and restore it at a later date or on another computer. Effectively allowing you to sync open tabs between multiple computers.
- Planning a unit, lesson, or presentation? TabCloud is great for planning your day by saving all your needed tabs in one TabCloud. Some teachers have a “Work” TabCloud, and some have even created a “Monday”, “Tuesday”, etc TabCloud.
- Save yourself valuable time by opening your documents, youtube videos, etc as one TabCloud. Then you won’t be searching and opening all the links during class instruction.
Set it for up to 4 hours. Pause or start the timer over. Desktop notification with sound.
- Excellent for keeping pace of your instruction. The best educators are constantly being consistent with “the clock”. Start a lesson, instruction, small group, stations, etc and make sure to turn on your timer to help you stay on track.
- Wonderful extension when switching between tabs. You won’t lose your timer thanks to it being an extension rather than a site. Easy to use, and easy to modify the times.
Break Timer allows you to set up customizable breaks and will remind you to take them. Taking breaks whilst working or studying is crucial in preventing RSI, eye-strain and tiredness.
- Great visual for your students to see when the next break is coming up.
- Also fun to schedule those much needed brain breaks with your students. Check out www.gonoodle.com and/or interactive YouTube videos to get your students moving during your scheduled breaks.
Free video chat for up to 8 of your friends
Get instant notifications when anyone enters your room or types a chat message.
- Excellent for educators to bring professionals, visitors, and community members into the classroom virtually.
- No need for an email, Skype account, G-Mail account, etc… All you need to have is the link and a webcam.
- Great for sharing your screen when collaborating on lesson plans from two or more different locations.
Page Ruler lets you draw out a ruler to any page and displays the width, height and position of it.
- Creating custom headers for your class Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Google + accounts? Page Ruler will help you set up the exact page size in Google Draw, Slides, etc...
This simple tab organization tool divides one window into two.
If you have at least two tabs in the selected Chrome window, it will split that window into two smaller side-by-side windows. All the tabs on the left side of the selected tab will stay in the left window, and the rest will move to the window on the right.
- Excellent extension when you need to have two tabs open side-by-side. Many times we have teachers that need to input grades from Google Classroom into our district Gradebook system. This will greatly help you and make your transferring of information much more efficient.
- Love this when Teachers are trying to complete lesson plans as a grade level team and constantly need to switch back and forth between tabs. Tab Scissors will split your tabs for you!
This simple organization tool puts all of your Chrome tabs together into one window with a single click.
The new window has your tabs arranged in the same order your windows were, and makes the selected tab in your current window be the new selected tab, so you won't lose track of where your tabs were or what you were doing.
- Perfect integration with the extension above, Tab Scissors. Have your tabs side-by-side for easy transferring of information. When completed, use Tab Glue to put all your tabs back together!
- Create your Bitmoji first at www.bitmoji.com
- Insert bitmojis into email as you type
- Copy and paste them virtually anywhere on the web
- Get the mobile app at bitmoji.com
Wherever you go, your avatar is now just a click away.
- Great for giving students positive feedback on a google doc, and/or any other G-Suite App.
- Create custom headers, logos, posters, etc in Google Draw and App-Smash with your bitmoji.
Capture all or part of any web page. Add annotations, comments, blur sensitive info, and share with one-click uploads. Now with free desktop capture!
Awesome Screenshot is the highest rated screen capture & image annotation tool on Chrome with over 2 million users
- Excellent tool for educators to take screenshots of their computer screen. Easily save to your hard drive, or google drive.
- Great annotations! (Best I’ve seen)... love the blur tool. Great for blurring out sensitive data and/or student faces from photos. You can also upload photos to this extension.
Share to Classroom
Get your class on the same (web)page, instantly.
Google Classroom Teachers: Save time and create a more interactive class with the Share to Classroom extension. The extension allows you to push webpages to any of your Classroom classes, so they open instantly on your students' computers.
- Got to get a link out to your students quickly? Already using Google Classroom in your class? Yes? Excellent!!! Send your students a link using this extension. Make it a question, announcement, or assignment, just like you were in Google classroom.
- PUSH! Push out the link to your students devices. Watch as it suddenly pops up on their screens! Amazing extension for on-the-fly change in instruction!
An eye-dropper & color-picker tool that allows you to select color values from web pages.
- Great extension for helping teachers match colors from pre-build templates, logos, charts, etc. This extension will give you the number # code to match your colors in your G-Suite apps.
- I use this a lot to match/compliment colors while creating logos, posters, graphic organizers, etc in Google Slides and Google Draw.
New Tab page gives you a moment of calm and inspires you to be more productive. Set a daily focus, track your to dos, and get inspired with a daily photo and quote. Eliminate distractions and beat procrastination with a reminder of your focus for the day on every new tab load. Join over 1 million users and get inspired to create the life you want to live.
- Want your students to see a nice virtual clock? Use this momentum extension to turn your “new tab” page into a beautiful picture with clock.
- Use the random picture location to have your students in geography class research that location.
- Use the goal function at the bottom to insert a goal, writing prompt, TEK, entrance card question, etc.
CraftyText is a simple app. It allows you to enter text, which then shows up big in the center of the screen. It works on top of your favorite website. Note: no data are transmitted to the developers. The permissions requested are due to the fact that it works on top of whatever website you're browsing.
- Need to share out a link to a whole class or group of folks in your presentation? Instead of copying, pasting into a doc, highlighting, and changing font size to 96…. Use this extension to blow up your text so all can see.
- Great for links, spelling words, or vocabulary words. Use this extension for all to see in your classroom.
Shorten, measure, and optimize your links.
The Bitly Chrome extension is fully integrated with your Bitly account. Copy, customize, and share your links straight from your browser!
- Another great URL shortener like the Google Shortener previously mentioned above. I like using Bitly because it creates custom urls specified by you.
- Have an event coming up? Change the URL to your presentation or event site to a custom Bitly. It will make your URL much easier to get to and is much more eye-pleasing to all that need it.
Alice Keeler Quickshare Screenshot
Save your screenshots instantly to Google Drive. A link to the screenshot is saved to your clipboard allowing you to quickly share the screenshot.
- I LOVE this extension for many reasons! One being, it’s so EASY to use. Instantly take quick screenshots of your computer screen. This extension automatically makes a folder within your Google Drive and saves all your screenshots to that folder. Need the photo onto your hard drive? No worries, just download the saved photo from your google drive.
- Great for taking quick screenshots of emails! Parent or admin sent you an email, and you just need to quickly take a screenshot of it for documentation reasons? Use this extension to do just that!
Screencastify is the easiest way to Record, Edit, Annotate, Store, and Share video screen recordings. Record a specific tab, or your whole desktop at the click of a button. Try our Lite version for free.
- Love this extension because it works so well on student chromebooks! You or the students can now be masters at making flipped classroom videos in your class. Great extension to record yourself or your screen. Easy for educators to now make high-quality flipped classroom videos!
Turn off the lights
With a single click on the lamp button, the page will fade to dark. And automatically focus on the video. By clicking on it again, the page will return to normal.
- Most educators we talk to hate having all the extra junk around a video in YouTube. This extension is great for getting rid of all that extra clutter. It makes everything around the video going dark, making it harder for the students to see everything around the video.
Read & Write for Google Chrome
Read&Write for Google Chrome™ offers a range of powerful support tools to help students gain confidence with reading, writing, studying and research, including:
• Hear words, passages, or whole documents read aloud with easy-to-follow dual color highlighting
• See the meaning of words explained with text and picture dictionaries
• Hear text translated into other languages
• Get suggestions for the current or next word as you type
• Turn words into text as you speak
• Highlight text in documents or the web and collect for use in other documents
• Create and listen to voice notes directly inside of Google Docs
• Simplify and summarize text on web pages
- Awesome extension to integrate with your G-Suite apps. Students can get this extension on their devices and use it to read what is on the document, and/or website. So many excellent tools that come along with this extension.
Grammarly's free writing app makes sure everything you type is easy to read, effective, and mistake-free. Adding Grammarly to Chrome means that your spelling and grammar will be vetted on Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Tumblr, and nearly everywhere else you write on the web. Once you register your new account, you will start to receive weekly emails with personalized insights and performance stats (one of our most popular new features). Working on a large project, an essay, or a blog post? No sweat. You can create and store all of your documents in your new online editor.
- I like having Grammarly help me write sentences via Twitter, email, and Facebook. Great app for helping students and educators clean up their misspelled words and sentence structure errors.
Web Version: bit.ly/bisdchromeext