Blogging: Persuasive Paragraphs
Today’s blog post will take the form of a persuasive paragraph. In persuasive writing, a writer takes a position FOR or AGAINST an issue and writes to convince the reader to believe or do something.
Persuasive writing is often used in advertisements to get the reader to buy a product. It is also used in essays and other types of writing to get the reader to accept a point of view. In order to convince the reader you need more than opinion; you need facts or examples to back your opinion.
The language that you use to persuade your reader should be strong and convincing. Here are some word and phrase suggestions:
In my opinion....I think that....I consider....I believe....It seems to me....I prefer
Persuasive writing follows a particular format. It has an introduction (20%), a body where the argument is developed (70%), and a conclusion (10%).
Choose one of the following prompts to write about in your blog post:
- Your principal has asked you to suggest one way of improving your school to make it a better place for students. Think about the changes that are needed at your school. Pick one change you feel would really make a difference. Write an essay to convince your principal that your idea is one that should be adopted.
- Suppose you want a pet and your parents are not sure you should have one. Think of the reasons for having a pet. Think of what you can say that would change your parents’ minds. Write a paper to convince your parents to allow you to have a pet.
- Students complain about having too much homework. Do you think this is true? Do your teachers assign too much homework, or do they not give you enough for you to learn the subjects? Write an essay to convince your teachers either to give your more or less homework.
- Your school has decided that, because of budgetary concerns, all field trips will be canceled. Write an essay arguing for why you think that field trips are an important part of the school curriculum.
- Some children have a set bed time, while others go to bed when they are tired. Do you think children should go to bed at a certain time on school nights, or should they be able to choose when it is time for them to go to sleep. Write a persuasive paragraph detailing your support for one of these positions.