Postdoc Internship Program
Short-term internships for gaining skills and experience in diverse careers. Check out the Postdoc Internship Program website for complete program descriptions.
Current position openings:
- Policy & Advocacy - Office of Policy Coordination
- Program Development - Professional Development Office
- **NEW** Science Communication - Office of External Affairs in the BSPH
- Research & Development in Industry - MedImmue/AstraZeneca
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Thanksgiving Dessert Social
When: Tuesday, November 25th, 4:00 pm
Where: Reed Hall, 1st Floor
Join the International Society in giving thanks for dessert! Sample a variety of traditional Thanksgiving desserts and socialize with your fellow internationals. Sponsored by International Society. [Detail]
Join Ultrasounds for our Winter Concert
When: Friday, Dec. 5th, 12:30 pm
Where: 2nd floor, Armstrong Medical Education Building
Ultrasounds is the Hopkins graduate student and East Baltimore campus premier instrumental ensemble featuring classical music, jazz, funk and more. Refreshments will be provided!
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
New JHPDA Meetup.com Group
JHPDA has created a Meetup.com group for postdocs interested in attending smaller local events around Baltimore, such as concerts, art walks, happy hours, museums, and other happenings. Go to Meetup.com, create a profile, and join the Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral Association Meetup Group. Receive emails about weekly events other JHPDA members are attending.
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: email@example.com
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins.]
IN BRIEF: Versatile PhD Career Finder
The Versatile PhD is a web-based, woman-owned, socially positive business that helps universities provide graduate students with non-academic professional development. Their mission is to help graduate students and PhDs envision, prepare for, and excel in non-academic careers.
This Thanksgiving weekend, why not dedicate a couple hours to learn about nonacademic careers and open your mind to some new possibilities? The PhD Career Finder is an excellent tool for that. The site has a Power Search feature which helps you connect with real post-academic contacts.
Access Versatile PhD with your JHED here!
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Postdoc Coffee Break, Wed., Dec 3rd
As the days get shorter and colder, warm up with some holiday-themed beverages and tasty snacks along side your fellow postdocs. Come to network, meet new friends and get to know the Policy & Advocacy Committee.
When: Wednesday, December 3rd, 3:00 - 4:30 pm
Where: Owens Pre-function Area, CRB II
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Wine & Cheese Event, Thu., Dec 4th
The Associate Dean of Postdoctoral Affairs, Dr. Martha Zeiger, cordially invites postdocs to network at a Wine & Cheese Event!
When: Thursday, December 4th, 4:00 - 5:30 pm
Where: Houck Lobby 1st floor, Phipps Building
Questions? Contact email@example.com
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Professional Development Office (PDO) Events:
Fall 2014 Research Leadership for Postdocs (lunchtime modules)
When: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 12:00 - 1:30 pm (unless otherwise noted below)
Where: 1830 Building, classroom 2-108
- 12/02: Managing Research Funds, Faculty Panel
- 12/04: Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship
- 12/09: Time Management (11:30 am - 1:30 pm)
- 12/11: Project Management (3 hours)
Additional Professional Development Events:
Bloomberg School of Public Health Career Services Office Events (Fall 2014)
Fall 2014 event details for SPH postdocs, including event descriptions, locations, RSVP links can be found on the Career Services Office website.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 11/25, “Access to Experts” information session: CareFirst (RSVP)
- 12/02, “Access to Experts” Alumni Speaker: Marcel Muenster, CEO and Founder, TraveDoc (RSVP)
- 12/02, “Access to Experts” information session: TraveDoc (RSVP)
Grant writing workshop hosted by TRNAMH
This two-hour workshop held via webinar will focus on the anatomy and physiology of the parts of the NIH-style application with particular attention to the R- and K-type proposals. A brief discussion of the electronic submission process will be included.
If you would like to have your title, abstract, and specific aims page analyzed in this session please submit to Amanda Brown (instructions and diagram) by Monday, Dec. 1st.
When: Tuesday, December 16th, 2014, 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Time Management: How to Create 5 Extra Hours a Week for Your Use
How often do you say to yourself, “If only I had more time!” or “Where did the time go?” Do you look at others and ask “How do they get it done?” This course provides you with the skill set to create time in your day, remove extraneous baggage from your schedule and be much more productive per unit time. The seminar will help you to create 5 extra hours of productive time in a week.
When: Thursday, December 11th, 8:30 - 10:30 am (breakfast from 8:00 - 8:30 am)
Where: 2024 Building, Suite 2-1002, 2024 East Monument Street
Speaker: Dr. David Yousem
Contact and RSVP: Valentina Viertel (410-502-5521); RSVP here
- Registration for the National Postdoctoral Association 2015 Annual Meeting is now open (link)
- ASU Origins Project Postdoctoral ($10K) Prize Lectureship Nomination (due 12/01, link; more information here)
- The Dan David Prize scholarship ($15K; due 3/10/15, application link; for details about selected fields of interest, click here)
- Research Study, paid participation: Physical & Mental Fatigue Study (link)
- Request for guest editors for Biochemistry Insights Journal (contact Mariana Figuera Losada)
- Association of Women in Science is recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (more info; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
FELLOWSHIP & JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Recent additions listed below.
- New England Anti-Vivisection Society $40,000 postdoc grant for non-animal alternatives in women’s health/sex differences (due 12/15; details, link)
- Pearl M. Stetler Research Fund for Women Physicians, $65,000 awards (due 1/15/15; contact Meredith McCormack; link)
- 2 postdoc positions in Dr. Mark Anderson’s lab; research in calcium and redox signaling and mitochondrial metabolism in cardiac physiology & disease (link)
- Senior Scientist Position @ NIEHS/NIH (link)
- Lead Clinical Research Associate (In-House), Hinckley, OH (link)
- Brain Trauma Research Fellow/Associate 4 (link)
- Public Health Support Lead/Program Manager (link)
- Sleep and Performance Scientist (link)
- Protein Engineer/Molecular Biology Scientist (link)
- Biogen Idec Postdoctoral Program (link)
- Research Opportunities in Europe for NSF-funded postdocs (link)
- International opportunity: Scientific Instrumentation (link)
- Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, Scientific Grants Manager (link)
- American Heart Association fellowship (due 1/16/15; link)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here.
Receive grant alerts here
Other opportunities can be found here.
EVENTS AROUND BALTIMORE
- Baltimore Farmer's Market, Sundays (underneath the Jones Falls overpass) Expressway on Saratoga Street between Holliday and Gay Street)
- Thursday Nights at the Walters, FREE art exhibits every Thurs., 5-9pm
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or here.