Sign in support of a Mother’s room in Ross/Traylor/MRB complex:
If you are a mother who previously could have or may in the future benefit from a designated Mother’s Room in the Ross/Traylor/MRB complex, Please consider signing in support of the letter below. If you are willing to be counted, respond to Kelly by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the information here
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. More information here.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. More information here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF:JHPDA Committees
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
International wine tasting, Wed., Oct. 28th
Come join us for an international wine tasting event on campus!! We will have different types of white and red wines from all over the world. Free for postdocs and $5 for guests (1 guest maximum). Limited space available, so sign-up now!
When: Wednesday, Oct. 28th, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: West Lecture hall Pre-function lounge
(Wood Basic Science Building basement)
RSVP here - required!
Questions? Email Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
JHPDA Halloween Party, Fri.,Oct. 30th
Come join us for the JHPDA Halloween Party!
- Free Drinks, Free Snacks, Free Candy!
- Costume optional, but prize for best costume!
- Optional meet-up at pub on the JHMI-
Homewood shuttle route afterwards.
- All Postdocs Welcome
When: October 30th, 5:30 - 7:00 pm
Where: Owens Auditorium Pre-function Area (between CRB-1 & CRB-2)
Questions? Email Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoctoral Alliance Committee Survey
Recently DPAC hosted a "Women in Science" town hall event. If you missed out on the inspiring stories and informative discussions, you can view the WIS presentations (Slides, Link 1, Slides, Link 2). Please take 2-3 min to complete the the following survey - pertaining to topics discussed at WIS here. Questions? Contact Stanley or Dionna
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
Meso Scale Discovery Visits JHU
Info Session, Wednesday, October 28, 4:00 - 6:00 pm, Rangos 490
Interviews, MSD will return Tuesday, November 3, (12 pm onwards) to interview interested candidates for specific positions, 1830 Building, Room 2-101
JHGCC mini case competition: Register your team by Oct 28
Participants will work in teams of 2-4 to develop strategic recommendations for a specific business challenge and an present to a panel of judges. The final round judged by consultants from firms including LEK and McKinsey & Co. (details)
Applying to Medical School as a Postdoc/Graduate Student
Friday, October 30, 12:00 - 1:30 pm, Wood Basic Science Auditorium
Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures- Commercialization Academy
Want to transition from academia? Training Employment Opportunities
Details of how to apply are HERE
Excellence in diversity from the NIH point of view- Dr. Hannah Valantine, Chief Scientific Officer for Training/Workforce Diversity will give her perspectives on NIH policies around diversity and other related matters at 2 pm on Monday October 26 in Hurd Hall.
Developing a powerful CV and Cover Letter
Tuesday, Nov 3, 12 - 2 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2 - 108, register here.
Developing a Tailored Resume and Deciphering the Job Announcement
Wednesday, Nov 4, 12 - 2 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2 - 108, register here.
Applying for Federal Jobs
Thursday, Nov 5, 12 - 2 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2 - 108, register here.
Additional Professional Development Events
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- AstraZeneca Info Session, Wednesday, November 4, 2:00 - 4:00 pm, Rangos 490, register here
- Effective Science Communication course series (website, schedule)
- Writing Accountability Groups (WAGs)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- 5th annual Hopkins Imaging Conference TODAY, Oct 26 (details, register)
- The University of Miami-Miller School of Medicine and the Post-Doctoral Program Office are organizing the 2nd Annual Life Sciences Career Fair at the Miami 2016 Winter Symposium on inflammation. Register here (posted 10/18)
- National Postdoctoral Association Releases Guidebook to Advance Postdoc Women. For more information visit here.
- Association of Women in Science - recruiting new Executive Board leaders (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- Hult Prize Foundation 2016 Challenge (register by Nov 14, details)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) fellowship or grant is accepting applications now. (Details here due Nov 15 and here due Dec 15)
- The T Rowe Price internship for next spring/summer is open for postdoctoral fellows. Invitations open for preliminary letters of interest. (details)
- The Postdoctoral Research Fellowship for Academic Diversity at the University of Pennsylvania (Penn) and The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) call for applications (due Dec 14, details)
- Two paid internship positions open at Acidophil LLC to work on synthetic biology or infectious diseases area (details: here and here ). (posted 9/14)
- Director-level position at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (Due Nov 20, details)
- Tenure-Track Position In Genomics, W. M. Keck Science Department Claremont, California (US). Application begins 9/21. (posted 9/8)
- T-32 Training grant opportunity in addiction research at the University of Pennsylvania (details) (posted 10/26)
- Postdoc position available ASAP in the lab of Dr. Karen Sfanos in the department of Pathology, Oncology, and Urology (details) (posted 10/26)
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
- Yoga Remix, Mind and body Dance Party, November 6th, Homewood recreation center
- The Occasional Symphony returns this Halloween to present a curated soundtrack for the legendary silent film NOSFERATU: A SYMPHONY OF HORROR on Oct 31st. Purchase tickets here.
- Dan Meyer Choir presents “Cruisin’ Down Holliday Street” Nov. 22, 4:00pm, Clifton Mansion (facebook page).
- ...and many more listed here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.