Slow Cooker Chicken Provence with Red Potatoes
free of gluten, dairy, soy, and grains
created by Carrie Forbes of Gingerlemongirl.com
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 5 medium size red potatoes (enough to fit the bottom of a 4 quart oval slow cooker)
- 1/3 cup white wine or cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon herbs de provence seasoning blend (McCormick's Gourmet is a great brand too, look for it in the spice aisle of your grocery store)
- freshly ground salt & pepper, to taste
- Optional: 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice for serving
- Place (washed & patted dry) whole red potatoes in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker. (You can easily double this recipe if you have a larger 6-quart slow cooker!)
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the potatoes. Drizzle the white wine over the potatoes followed by the olive oil.
- Sprinkle the herbs de provence and the ground salt & pepper evenly over the chicken. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Serve 1 chicken thigh per person with a quartered red potato. Make sure to ladle some of the juices from the bottom of the slow cooker over the chicken and potatoes, it's delicious! To brighten the dish just before serving squeeze some fresh lemon juice or lime juice over each plate. Serve with a fresh salad on the side.
Carrie's Kitchen Notes:
- If you have any leftover chicken and potatoes, remove the chicken from the bone and cut into small pieces, dice up the potatoes and mix with the juices in the bottom of the slow cooker for a chicken & potato stew. You can add cooked green beans and carrots to make a more complete meal.
- I prefer bone-in chicken because it has more flavor and it will withstand long cooking times in the slow cooker without falling apart or losing texture.
- You can use any type of potatoes you'd like in this dish. Red potatoes worked great, but it would be delicious with yellow, white, or purple potatoes too!
- You can also add a few heirloom tomatoes chopped up to the slow cooker before cooking for extra flavor.