Dmitrii “Dimage” Sapelkin
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org portfolio: http://bit.do/p-dimage phone: +46-73-630-4628
Practised PRODUCER / CREATIVE DIRECTOR / GAME DESIGNER with a deep understanding of game development process. My objective is to create original top quality games that are fun to play. Interested in a mutually beneficial collaboration in which a comprehensive approach, strong communication and problem solving skills, and clear design vision from high level down to minor details are demanded.
- Over 10 years of successful experience in all aspects of game design and production, including the roles of lead game designer, creative director and associate producer
- Over a dozen published titles, including F2P, premium, freemium games in many genres: action, shooter, brain trainer, strategy, puzzle, hidden object – for PC, social, consoles, handheld, mobile platforms.
- Well-developed ability to quickly identify the root of a problem, propose a solution, formulate a task in a neat and clear way, and to achieve a sound implementation. In an uncertain situation, to work out a concrete solution and well-defined next steps with specific estimations.
- Strong background in software development and QA prior to working in game industry.
Game design skills
- Free to play games: design and maintenance of monetization, virality, retention
- Design and application of statistics and analytics
- Communication with the team, customers and third parties, including remote work
- Game concept design, creation and maintenance of design documentation
- Brainstorming, game prototyping and playtesting
- Mock-ups of interface and controls, UX design
- Game balance model design and tuning
- Design and improvement of game mechanics, rules, AI behavior patterns and other gameplay elements
- Content design, including locations, missions, quests, story, in-game text, game objects; localization
2015: Electronic Arts St. Petersburg (http://ea.com/) Associate Producer
- Specifications, UX design, localization, art direction, triage, team guidance - Scrabble (mobile/facebook)
2013 - 2015: Freelance, remote work Lead Game Designer
- Game mechanics and level design for a casual time/resource management game (for Zoom Out Games)
- Design direction, math model/balance for an economic simulation/educational game (for IntEduca company)
- Design and prototyping of 3D sci-fi RTS/builder F2P game for mobile platforms (for Cloudmach company)
- Creative direction for a large F2P Hidden Object game for mobile platforms (for Signus Labs company)
- Design for an escape/puzzle game for mobile platforms (for Signus Labs company)
2011 – 2013: Signus Labs (http://signuslabs.com/), Creative Director, Lead Game Designer
- Published titles: promo-game for the movie Conan (web), a puzzle game Bubble Ducky (kindle), an online casino Paula Deen’s Play Room (facebook and kindle), Paula Deen’s Food for Thought (kindle).
- Key role in concept creation, communication with customers, design documentation and content design.
- Internal corporate gamification design, gamification designs for customers.
2009 – 2011: Oberon Media/I-Play (http://www.iplay.com/), Lead Game Designer
Bubble Town Party Planet: facebook; a social puzzle game (bubble popping)
- Significant improvements to the game’s usability, including monetization-related UI
- Content design (level sets, story, bosses) and new gameplay mechanics
- Design for all aspects of the game, including statistics gathering and performance improvements
Agatha Christie: 4:50 from Paddington: PC; downloadable hidden object game
- Significantly improved the design quality over the previous game of the series (Dead Man's Folly)
- Created original mechanics for the HO genre that got positive reviews and players’ approval
Agatha Christie: Dead Man’s Folly: PC; downloadable hidden object game
- Complete game design, working with remote team in Belarus and remote producer in the USA
- Significantly improved the user intrface over the previous game of the series (Peril at End House)
Treasures of the Serengeti: PC; downloadable puzzle game with original mechanic
- Significantly improved the gameplay and game’s interface, working with a remote team in Ukraine
- Designed attractive content including the story, levels, mini-games
Designed a number of original concepts and some game prototypes for the company.
2007 – 2008: Fireglow Games (http://www.fireglowgames.ru), Game Designer
Plumeboom Park: PC; casual puzzle/strategy game, amusement park theme, as a Lead Game Designer
- Created an original and appealing concept that inspired the team
- Complete game design from specs to parameter tuning, team work coordination, and playtesting
Sudden Strike 3: PC, hardcore 3D real time strategy with a historical wargame bias, as a Game Designer (last half a year of production)
- Game missions design, including the detailed tutorial mission.
- Many improvements to gameplay, GUI, controls, AI behavior.
- Key improvements to the usability of the mission editor that was included in game package.
2005 – 2007: Creat Studios, Inc. (http://www.creatstudios.ru), Game Designer
Hot Brain: PSP, brain trainer, as a Lead Game Designer
- Conveyed the design vision and improved the gameplay, which got the game to score the highest ratings on the gaming sites (IGN, GameSpot etc.) among the other company’s titles of that time
- Designed the main gameplay, interface, menu system, tutorials, and control.
- Designed about 70% of all mini-games and tasks and also the initial script for video cut-scenes.
Biker Mice from Mars: PS2, racing/shooter/fighting based on animation series, as Game Designer
- Creation and maintenance of about a half of design specs including game rules, mission/location descriptions, AI behavior, animation, physics, interface and other game elements
- Conceptual sketches and basic location geometry modeling using Maya; object placement in missions
- Tuning of game parameters including physics, camera movement to create appealing gameplay.
American Chopper II: PS2, XBOX, NGC, PC; racing based on TV show; Game Designer (last quarter of production)
- Design and setup for about 25% missions, also about a half of in-game text in English
Helped develop games: Coded Arms: Contagion (FPS for PSP), ATHF: Ninja Zombie Pro AM (golf/action for PS2), Witch (kids game for NDS), Insecticide (adventure for NDS). Plus, created a number of original game concepts.
Before 2005: Alcor Paycash, software developer (Delphi, C++, PHP, SQL) and QA lead (Paycash is an internet payment technology that is used in Yandex.Money)
Education: CAD engineer diploma (2000)
SPbSETU «LETI» (St. Petersburg State Electrotechnical University)
Trainings and courses:
Drama for screenplay writing (on the job), Basic 3D modeling using Maya (on the job),
Cinema direction. Basics of independent production, Songwriting (coursera),
Survey of music technology (coursera), Economics of Money and Banking (coursera),
Developing innovative ideas for new companies (coursera)
Russian – native speaker English – speak and write fluently
Swedish – basic