H. EDWARD LEE, JR.
Experienced information technology professional in higher education seeking to provide leadership for technology support, customer service, and systems management teams.
- Masters of Public Administration, University of Phoenix. Completion scheduled June 2013.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Management, concentration in Information Systems,
North Carolina State University. June 2008.
Service Level Manager, Division of Information Technology, The George Washington University
February 2013 - present
- Developed Service Level Agreements for service offerings provided by Division of IT to university departments. Gathered requirements and expectations from customers, coordinated delivery standards from Division of IT service providers.
- Updated Division of IT Service Portfolio with new entries and changes to existing services. Participated in reviews of service entry changes prior to adoption.
- Revised existing agreements to use new templates and standardize commodity offerings.
- Defined customer relationship management framework for Service Level Management team, including guidelines for guiding customer relations, suggested standard meeting agendas, collecting information, and translating that information into outcomes for customers.
- Facilitated meetings with Division of IT service providers and customers to create consensus on service offerings and delivery expectations. Maintained agendas, minutes, and lists of action items from these conversations for future use.
- Applied knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library to service delivery and documentation process, including consultation with service providers on defining their services.
User Services Manager, Information Technology Services, Texas A&M University-San Antonio
December 2011 - January 2013
- Manager of support operations including university Helpdesk, management of classrooms and computer labs, software deployment/systems imaging, and end-user support at three campuses. Supervise a 20-person IT staff. Managed university's IT trouble ticket system.
- Established a new Helpdesk facility at an under-served location without increasing costs.
- Created first organizational structure for Helpdesk, Desktop Support, and Imaging teams, including a career ladder for advancement. Streamlined internal organization to specialize employee roles. Promoted organizational maturity with employee training and projects.
- Created first budget for User Services group and maintained relationships with vendors.
- Collaborated with multiple campus departments, stakeholders, and vendors to successfully implement new systems including university-wide ID cards, printing and print quota management, self-service password reset tools, and departmental websites.
- Created processes and documentation for inventory management, support issue work flow and escalation, and software application delivery to offices and labs/classrooms.
- Designed data gathering tools to quantify support success rate and customer satisfaction with technical support efforts. Used results to improve processes and justify position retention.
- Wrote Service Level Agreements and Memoranda of Understanding with campus departments regarding support responsibilities and service scope.
- Created, implemented, and consulted on technical support policy and issues for the university.
Senior Microcomputer/LAN Administrator, Department of English, Texas A&M University
July 2009 - December 2011
- Manager of department’s information technology office, serving the computing and support needs of 250 faculty, staff, graduate students, and thousands of undergraduates. Supervised the efforts of a 6-person IT staff, setting goals, priorities, and evaluating performance.
- Created and implemented information technology policy for department. Created first English Department Help Desk for daily technical support needs.
- Completed department-wide migration to new Active Directory, roll-out of Windows 7 to labs and department offices, replacement of students’ office computers, new department website.
- Daily technical support, classroom management, ongoing website maintenance, list serve management, supervision of Moodle courseware system, Drupal and MODx websites.
- Regular consultations regarding technology needs for new building construction on TAMU campus, including offices, labs, and classroom audio/visual technology.
- Partnered with College of Liberal Arts to provide new technology services to the department, while simultaneously reducing costs and number of servers to maintain.
- Advised faculty on use of technology in support of pedagogical and administrative goals.
- Administered department Active Directory system and associated products/servers.
- Member of the department’s Diversity and Technology Committees.
Learning Space Labs Manager, Office of Information Technology, NC State University
October 2007 - June 2009
- Managed centrally-provided IT computer labs, 325 seats in 14 locations across NCSU campus.
- Supervised part-time staff members, assigning responsibilities, evaluating job performance, creating work schedules, monitoring daily tasks.
- Provided second-tier support for university; primary support contact for internal ITD staff.
- Planned lab upgrade and maintenance projects, maintained product inventory, evaluated usage statistics to adjust mix of workstations.
- Oversaw construction projects in computer labs, including creation of a new training lab space and "FlySpace" student collaboration room.
- Packaged and deployed software products across campus to labs and classrooms.
- Developed and coordinated an antivirus testing plan, communications plan during university-wide transition between antivirus products.
Technology Support Specialist, Information Technology Division, NC State University
September 2006 - October 2007
- Provided second-tier technical support for students, faculty and staff. Served as consulting expert for the Help Desk on a variety of user support issues.
- Primary support contact for internal ITD staff members.
- Collaborated with ITD staff on multiple projects, including building an Active Directory environment, packaging, and deploying of various software applications.
- Designed content for multiple support publications (Computing@NC State newspapers, Help! CD), and documentation for ITD knowledge base.
- Completely re-designed and maintained NCSU Antivirus Resources website.
- Performed user outreach and education on computer security topics, including frequent training classes for faculty/staff on security topics.
Windows Systems Manager, College of Design, NC State University
May 2004 - September 2006
- Managed Windows computing labs, all related hardware and software.
- Administered Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Mac OS X Server. Maintained university-wide Autodesk FlexLM license server, MySQL, and a RADIUS server.
- Provided primary support to students, faculty, and staff of the college.
- Served as an advisor to College of Design IT subcommittee, including guidance on IT budget and computing/project-related requests.
- Co-wrote proposals for large purchases, including a server room and college data backup.
- Developed custom software and database solutions using RealBasic.
- Managed and supported specialized college computing and fabrication resources, including twin lasercutters, 10-node render farm, ShopBot router, 3D plastic printer, plotters.
Additional Skills, Training, Awards, Professional Memberships
- Service: 13.5 years of experience in higher education information technology.
- Ticket management: Experienced with BMC Remedy, Numara Track-It, GLPI, Spiceworks.
- Systems management: Experienced with Microsoft Active Directory, Novell ZenWorks, deployment of applications (AdminStudio, Microsoft Group Policy, Ghost).
- Software: Proficient with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, Adobe Creative Suite. Experience with Microsoft Hyper-V, IIS, SCCM, Exchange, SharePoint, Apache, MySQL, VMware, Red Hat and Ubuntu Linux, Unix. Experience supporting Banner and PeopleSoft. Experience supporting Cisco VOIP telephony. Experience with Retrospect enterprise backup.
- Documentation/Education: Documented many topics and processes for NC State, TAMU, and TAMU-SA, including security and antivirus/malware topics.
- Web Development: Experienced with Adobe Dreamweaver, Drupal CMS. Extensive web documentation creation using Dreamweaver and ColdFusion.
- Software/Scripting Development: Prior professional experience and/or coursework with RealBasic, VBScript, JScript, PowerShell, PHP, SQL, Visual Basic, and C++.
- Additional Training and Certifications:
- ITIL: “Information Technology Infrastructure Library Foundations,” “Service Oriented Architecture”
- TAMU: “Agile Project Management” course
- NCSU: “Pathways to Leadership” management course
- Microsoft: “Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment” (2273), “Installing and Configuring Windows Vista” (5115), “Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007” (6451)
- Novell: “ZENWorks for Desktops 4” (NV3006)
- “TAMU-SA Supervisor of the Quarter,” March 2012.
- “NCSU Pride of the Wolfpack,” 2005, 2006.
- Professional Memberships:
- Member, Project Management International (PMI)