Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
11.20.15 at 5:30 pm – 25 N. Beech
BOD Approved on 11.30.15
- Call to Order: Nate called the meeting to order at 5:35 pm.
- Executive Session – to be held at 18 Beech Street beginning at 5:30 pm.
- An executive session meeting of the Board of Children’s Kiva Montessori School is being convened at 5:30pm on November 20, 2015 for the sole purpose of discussing personnel matters as authorized by Colorado Revised Statutes 24-6-402(4)(f). Those invited to attend are the members of the E/M S Board of Directors.
- At 5:35 pm Nate moved to enter into Executive Session for the sole purpose of discussing personnel matters as authorized by Colorado Revised Statutes 24-6-402(4)(f). Nate stipulated that all E/M S Board of Directors (Nate Seeley, JenniLynn Lawrence, Tamia Hurst, Chad Fish, Julie Suckla, Kathy Stemmler) be in attendance. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Executive Session was recorded on Tamia’s I-Phone.
- At 7:15 pm Nate moved to exit out of Executive Session. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motioned carried.
- Open meeting - to be held at 25 N Beech at 7 pm
- Roll Call: Nate Seeley, President; JenniLynn Lawrence, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Chad Fish, Treasurer; Julie Suckla, Member (via Face Time); Kathy Stemmler, Member
Community Members: Refer to list
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Chad
Volunteer for next Montessori Moment (TBD at meeting) – Nate
- Approval of the following minute:
- BOD Meeting - 11.14.15
- BOD Meeting - 11.16.15
Kathy moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Julie moved to approve the agenda as presented, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: no discussion
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – October 19, 2015
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending… “Financial Summit”
- All BOD members: review the bylaws (found in Google docs).
- Chad, JenniLynn: e-mail a short bio and picture to Tamia.
- Action Items from 11.14.15 BOD meeting
- JenniLynn: prepare a proposal for amending the bylaws and organizational chart to reflect the FD reporting directly to the BOD. Also included in the proposal will be changing the title of ED to Head of School (HOS).
- Julie and/or Nate: reach out to Tony to assist with the HOS Job Description and also the criteria for hiring a HOS.
- Executive Director Transition
- JenniLynn moved to accept the letter of resignation effective January 5, 2016 as presented by Josh to the Board on October 19, 2015. Motion seconded. Discussion. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Julie moved to hire Rob Lee for 30 days, over the course of the school year, as a consultant to our school during this transition plan. Motion seconded. Discussion. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Chad moved that Josh’s last day on campus be December 4, 2015. Motion seconded. Discussion. All in favor. Motion carried.
- JenniLynn moved that Julie and Tamia be appointed to discuss the negotiations with Josh regarding his transition. Motion seconded. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Julie moved to nominate Susan Likes as the “go to” person during this transition period, effectively immediately. Motion seconded. Discussion. Julie amended her motion to read “ ...end of day, December 4th.” Motion seconded with the amendment of end of day, December 4th. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Action Item - Nate will contact Alex Carter to inform him of our decisions and transition plan.
- Action Item - JenniLynn will contact Rob Lee to inform him of our decisions and transition plan.
- Discussion of when/how to celebrate all Josh has done for this school.
- Resolution for DSB
- Kathy moved to approve the Resolution for Signatures on Checking Account(s) as presented by Tamia. Motion seconded. JenniLynn Lawrence will abstain from voting on the motion. All in favor. Motion carried.
- New Business
- Letter drafted by Board to our Kiva Community.
- Shared Board Information
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, December 14, 2015 at 6:30 pm
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s)
- BOD updates to Josh for newsletter (previously completed by Anna) – October
- Curriculum Committee: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2016-17 school year. Talk with Karleen Walton. – August
- Financial Policies and Procedures – TBD
- Discuss Google for Education – November
- Approval of Community Goals and Expectations – TBD
- Approval of amended bylaws – December
- Opt-out policy – December
- Adjournment: Chad moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 9:33 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary