MELBOURNE LINDY EXCHANGE 2016
BEING A GOOD DANCE EVENT ATTENDEE
- Please do not offer unsolicited advice to fellow dancers on or off the social dance floor.
- MLX often has crowded dance floors; dancers are asked to remain engaged with, and considerate of, your fellow dancers to avoid collisions and injuries. If you do accidentally collide with another person, make every effort to apologise as soon as possible. Check whether that person is injured, and if they are, immediately assist them in obtaining appropriate help.
- Please be respectful to MLX volunteers and staff, even if you are experiencing a personal frustration. Without the goodwill of these individuals, a smoothly functioning event is impossible.
- Please be respectful of our DJs and their working space. DJs are watching the floor, choosing music and managing sound levels to create the great MLX atmosphere we have all grown to love. This requires a degree of concentration, and this should be respected. Do not touch a DJ’s equipment, computer, cables, microphone etc, without express permission each time.
- Finally, be aware of your own boundaries and physical needs. Maintain your personal hygiene, to prevent others around you from feeling uncomfortable. Care for your health: remember to eat, stay hydrated, sleep and wash your hands frequently.
BEING A GOOD VOLUNTEER
- Uphold the code of conduct.
- Behave respectfully at all times.
- Be on time for your shifts. Be contactable.
- Let us know if you feel the tasks we have assigned you are too strenuous or if you are not able to handle them. We are flexible and want everyone to feel confident in their roles.
- Let us know if your job is unclear.
- When you are on shift, your first priority is to ensure the successful progress of the event and help out. If you get the chance to dance during your shift, regularly check in with the event manager after dances to find out how you can continue to be of assistance.
- If someone lets you know that they are uncomfortable, injured or requests to speak to the event manager, respond to the request as a matter of priority. All you have to do is promptly come and find the event manager. We will handle everything else.
- You are our eyes and ears at this event. You are part of a large team. Put feelers out - chat to other attendees. If anyone lets you know that any aspect of the event or another attendee is making them feel uncomfortable, encourage them to tell us immediately, or seek permission to come and let us know. Do your best to find a way to communicate their concerns directly to an event manager, volunteer manager or other committee member. You are one of our most important tools for actively promoting the safety of all MLX attendees. We’re excited to see what we can accomplish together this year.
- If your event manager, another committee member, or anyone else in a position of authority makes you feel uncomfortable, behaves in an inappropriate way or makes you feel harassed, no matter how small the incident, please either email firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact our external phone number 0413 081 530. Committee members are also bound by the highest standards of conduct at MLX, and we take our role seriously. If there is a way in which we can improve our behaviour, or if we have behaved poorly, we will seek to change this immediately, and will respond to your complaint as we would to any other.
- We really appreciate your help and support in this vital role.
BEING A GOOD HOST
- Uphold the code of conduct
- For the period of the event, you should regard your premises as being covered by the same code of conduct as any MLX dancing venue.
- Understand that, although you have invited another person into you house, you need to respect their privacy and their belongings.
- If you are uncomfortable with the guest(s) whom you have been allocated, please contact the Hosting Coordinator immediately and we will find them alternative accommodation
- We really appreciate your willingness to open up your house to welcome visiting dancers.
BEING A GOOD GUEST
- Uphold the code of conduct
- For the period of the event you should regard the premise you are allocated as being covered by the same code of conduct as any MLX dancing venue.
- Understand that you have been invited into another person’s house and respect their privacy and their belongings. Clean up after yourself, and monitor your noise levels.
- Remember to let your host know that you appreciate their letting you stay.
- If you feel uncomfortable with the host whom you have been allocated to or other guests, please contact the Hosting Coordinator immediately and we will find you or them alternate accommodation.