Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Swirl Frosting
Yield - 10 cupcakes
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 + 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/8 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup hot coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, soda, powder, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix together on low with the paddle attachment.
- Beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and milk in a small bowl and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined and then scrape down the sides.
- Turn on the mixer and add the hot coffee slowly until well combined.
- Fill cupcakes liners with a not quite full basic ice cream scoop and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Turn out of the cupcake tin and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Peppermint Swirl Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting
100 grams of egg whites
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
red food coloring
mini candy canes for garnish
- Add 1 inch of water to a small saucepan. Add the egg whites, sugar, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. Place the bowl in the saucepan. Heat and whisk until the mixture is smooth and no longer gritty.
- Move the bowl to the stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until the bowl is cool and the meringue is whipped.
- Add the butter one tablespoon at a time while the mixer whisks on high speed. If the frosting becomes runny or curdles, just keep beating at it will smooth out.
- Beat in the extract. Remove half the frosting. To the remaining frosting add a bit of red food coloring, mix until the desired color is reached.
- Add the red to one disposable piping bag and the white frosting to another piping bag.
- Place both piping bags in a larger piping bag with a large star tip. Squeeze lightly until both colors are coming out.
- Swirl on each cupcake. Decorate with a mini candy can if desired.