You can now record your webcam and microphone without leaving Blackboard. Using the new “Video Everywhere” function, you can record and embed videos in items, announcements, discussion boards and more.
Recorded videos will be saved using “Unlisted” privacy settings. This means that your videos will not show up in Youtube search results or as suggestions when users view videos on related topics, but they can be accessed by anyone who has the link to your recording. This level of privacy is similar to that of an unlisted phone number, and should not be used for private feedback to students.
Note: You must have a Youtube account to use the Video Everywhere feature of Blackboard.
1. Go to https://www.youtube.com.
2. Click the Sign In button in the top-right corner of the screen.
3. Click the Create an Account link at the bottom of the page.
4. Enter your personal information and confirm that you are not a robot by completing the captcha verification.
5. Agree to the terms of service, then click Next Step.
6. Next, you can optionally select individuals to follow or channels to subscribe to. If you’re not interested, click Cancel.
Before you can use the Video Everywhere tool in Blackboard you will need to create a channel in which to store your videos.
1. After logging into your Youtube account, click the My Channel link on the top-left corner of the window.
2. Edit your personal information, as needed.
4. By default videos uploaded to YouTube can be no longer than 15 minutes. In order to increase this length, as well as allow for HD video, you will need click the Upload button at the top of the screen.
5. Click the Increase your limit link under the file upload box.
6. Indicate whether you want to receive a voice or text message.
7. Provide your phone number with area code.
8. Click Submit.
9. Once the message has been received, enter the verification number in the field provided.
10. Click Submit.
Your channel is now ready for use.
Recording and Embedding Your Video
1. Click the Record from Webcam button on the textbox editor.
2. Click the Sign in to Youtube button.
3. Click the Grant Access button to allow Blackboard to access your Youtube account.
4. Click the Record from webcam button.
5. Grant the Adobe Flash Player access to your webcam and microphone. Select the Allow option, then check the Remember box to avoid this confirmation in the future. Once the options have been set, click Close.
6. Your webcam and microphone have now been engaged. Click the Start Recording button to begin your video.
7. Click OK to grant Blackboard permission to upload to your Youtube account.
8. When you are finished speaking, click the Stop recording button.
9. Click the Play button to review the recording. If you are satisfied, click the Upload button. If not, click the Start over button to record again.
10. Click Insert to embed the video into the text box editor.
11. Your recorded video should now be embedded in Blackboard.