Study guide for 8.P.1: Name: ____________________ Core: __________
- What are the 3 phases of matter and draw the arrangement of each.
- Density is Mass/Volume: How can density help scientists identify an element?
- What are the parts of an atom and where are they located in the atom along with their charge?
- What is the relationship between electrons and protons?
- What is an element and give an example
- What is a compound and give an example?
- Explain what a mixture is and describe the two different types of mixture?
- Draw an element mixture, compound mixture and an element and compound mixture
- What is a valence electron and how are they used?
- What are the three parts of the periodic table? Give the characteristics of each.
- What are the names of the families in the periodic table and what group #’s are they?
- Why are the elements in the families that they are?
- Which elements are the metalloids?
- Which family is the least reactive, most reactive metal and nonmetal?
- How does the reactivity of metals change from left to right?
- Which group contains elements with the most varied properties? noble gases, alkali metals, transition metals or alkaline earth metals and justify their answer.
- Compare physical and chemical properties?
- Compare physical change and evidence of chemical changes?
- What is a solvent and a solute?
- Describe an endothermic and exothermic reaction?
- Which numbers are the acids on the pH scale? Base? Neutral?
- What is the law of conservation of mass?
23) In the following chemical equation,label which are reactants and which are products?
Na + Cl → NaCl
24)Why is it important to have a closed system when balancing an equation?
25) What happens to the mass of the product when a reaction is in an open system?
26) Balance the following equation:
Cl2 + KI → KCl + I2