INTERNATIONAL ONLINE BioMEDICAL CONFERENCE
step by step guidelines for moderators of sessions
Thank you for participating in IOBMC2015.
As you know, all presentations will be made using Google + Hangouts on Air. Using Google + Hangouts on Air is easy. Perhaps you have used it before, but anyway we have prepared a short guidelines on how to proceed.
STEP BY STEP
- Joining the session
- You will receive a Google Calendar invitation with the timing of your session.
- The invitation also contains the url to join the Hangouts where you will act as moderator. Click the url or paste it in your browser, it will open Hangouts.
- On the right side you will find a text messaging box. Please, introduce yourself by typing there your name and “Moderator”. Presenters should introduce themselves the same way.
- Please, come 10 minutes early to ensure you are online and ready on time -not earlier since another session might be ongoing-.
- A good internet connection is required. Use broadband connection (wire) if possible. A poor internet connection may represent a serious limitation and presenters may be requested to exit the session.
- Test the system before the conference, including your microphone and camera.
- Getting familiar with Google + Hangouts on Air before the conference is also important.
- You need to register in Google +. If you have a Gmail email account you can use that account directly.
- Please, watch this tutorials if you do not have previous experience
- Google Hangouts Etiquette
- Google Hangout Tutorial - How To Use Google Hangouts
- Please, add your name, title and location (country) by creating a Lower Third Name Banner. Here you can find a tutorial explaining how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M6rV3SzstM
- The best browser for running Hangouts is Chrome.
- Please, exit any softwares other than Hangouts page.
- Using headphones is a good way to avoid echo
- Ensure a quiet room to attend the conference
- Check the program. It is very important you have the number of Oral Communications and ePosters scheduled in your session in mind as well as the time for starting and finishing the session.
- Welcome participants (off air, -break time-)
- Please, welcome participants as they arrive and remind them the program.
- Use this time to identify presenters with their presentations as scheduled in the program.
- If a presenter does not show up, just jump his/her presentation. This will give more time for questions to other participants.
- Ask participants to “Mute” their microphones while they are waiting their turn.
- Remind participants they have 10 minutes maximum for presenting followed by 2 to 5 minutes of questions.
- Start the session (on air)
- We will not wait for presenters who come late since we need to start on time. Anyway, if a presenter joins late (at any point during the session), he/she will be allowed to present at the end if there is time remaining.
- Unmute your microphone and start presenting the session. It is a good idea to make a quick overview of the upcoming contents (in about 1 minute).
- Introduce the first speaker.
- Thank every speaker after his/her presentation and make some questions about it. Questions can be your own or from attendees. You will receive questions from attendees via Google Hangouts (text).
- Control the time: it is very important all sessions start and finish at the agreed time since other sessions will come up next. There is no problem if you finish early.
- Finish the session with some words thanking participants and attendees.
That’s all. Thank you very much for your collaboration and enjoy the conference.