NAME: Dr. Newaz Mohammed Bahadur
Associate Professor and Chairman
Department of Applied Chemistry and
Noakhali Science and Technology University
TELEPHONE: (+880)-321-71485 (Office)
: (+880)-1911110671 (Cell)
FAX: +880-321-62788 (Office)
My research interest encompasses a number of areas spanning Physical, Inorganic, Analytical, Environmental Chemistry, Material Sciences, Surface Sciences, Semiconducting Interfaces, Quantum Dots, etc. In all the works, I focused on the synthesis and formation mechanisms of metal, magnetic and hybrid nanoparticles with controlled size and morphology; semiconductor, organic/inorganic microcapsules, the creation of novel core-shell nanocomposites (titania-metal-silica, metal oxide-metal oxide, metal-silica, semiconductor-silica, metal-metal, etc) including their surface functionalization; nanostructured thin films; and the optical characterization of nanocomposites. Sol-gel and Fast Microwave Assisted method are used for the materials synthesis. The potential applications of the materials include cell imaging, solar cell, optoelectronic device, drug delivery, water splitting, UV-shielding materials, bio-diagnosis, and as catalyst for biodiesel production and environmental remediation, etc.
May 2011-March 2013
Postdoctoral research fellow, Venture Business Laboratory, Utsunomiya University, Japan
Research Topic: Nanocomposites (titania-metal-silica, metal oxide-metal oxide, metal-silica, semiconductor-silica, metal-metal), Organic-inorganic hybrid microcapsules (Synthesis, characterization and application)
Achievements: Developed novel nanocomposites and hybrid microcapsules for photocatalysis, cell imaging, enzyme immobilization and biodiesel production. Subsequently published few papers in the Journal of Materials Chemistry, Bioresource Technology, J colloid and interface Science, Journal of Nanoparticle research, Materials Research Bulletin, Colloid and Surfaces A. Published one book chapter in Nova publisher, USA. One Patent is underway.
Ph.D (Doctor of Philosophy), Department of Innovation Engineering (Applied Chemistry), Utsunomiya University, Japan
Thesis Title: Facile synthesis and optical properties of nanocomposite particles by microwave method
Supervisor: Professor Noboru Suzuki, PhD
Master of Science, Department of Chemistry, Physical Chemistry Section, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Thesis Title: Cyclic voltammetric studies of some dyes
Supervisor: Professor Abu Jafar Mahmood, PhD (Camb), FRSC
Bachelor of Science, Department of Chemistry, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Noakhali Science and Technology University
Number of Students under my supervision: (Graduate: 3; Undergraduate: 12)
Postdoctoral Research fellow, Venture Business Laboratory, Utsunomiya University, Japan
Project: Synthesis of nanocomposite materials including, metal-oxide-metal oxide, metal-silica-titania, metal oxide-silica, organic-inorganic hybrid microcapsules and characterization using XPS, AFM, FE-SEM, EDX, TEM, XRD, XRF, Flourescence spectroscopy, FR-IR etc, and finally using the prepared materials for the enhancement of Bio-imaging, Biodiesel production, Environmental remediation, Hydrogen production by water splitting, UV-shielding materials, Catalysis etc.
Responsibilities: Conducting research and advising Graduate and Undergraduate Students (MSc students: 2, BSc student: 1)
Advisor: Graduate and Undergraduate students in the research. (During Ph.D)
Assistant Professor, Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Noakhali Science and Technology University, Noakhali-3802, Bangladesh. (Carried out PhD with study leave from the university)
Lecturer, Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Noakhali Science and Technology University, Noakhali-3802, Bangladesh
Conducted General Chemistry classes of undergraduate and graduate students.
Conducted Physical, Inorganic and Organic chemistry classes of undergraduate and graduate students.
Conducted Analytical Chemistry classes of undergraduate and graduate students.
Conducted Practical classes including inorganic, organic and physical chemistry
Lecturer in Chemistry, School of Engineering and Technology, Primeasia University, Banani, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Responsibilities: Conducting research of undergraduate students and Course taken.
Name of Course: General Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry
Worked as a research associate in the Physical Chemistry Section of the Department of Chemistry, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
Project: Studies on the various parameters to increase the power conversion efficiency of a photo electro chemical cell.
Senior lecturer in Chemistry HURDCO international School, MASTERMIND English Medium School, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Responsibilities: Teaches Chemistry to ‘A’ and ‘O’ level students.
Ø Transmission electron microscopy (TEM)
Ø Field emission scanning electron microscope (FE-SEM, and EDX)
Ø X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS)
Ø X-ray Fluorescence (XRF)
Ø X-ray Diffraction (XRD)
Ø Fourier-Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FT-IR)
Ø Fluorescence Spectroscopy
Ø Galvanostat/Potentiostat (Electrochemical Experimental setup
Ø Microwave-assisted Technique and Sol-gel Technique
Ø Zeta Plus measurement machine (DLS technique)
Ø UV-visible spectrophotometer
Ø HPLC and GC
Ø Conductometer, Polarimeter, pH meter, etc.
Ø Photocatalytic activity measurement technique
Ø Water splitting measurement technique
Present research work
Synthesis of AgI@TiO2 and Au/Ag@TiO2 core-shell nanocomposite for
Synthesis of microcapsules for biodiesel production and enzyme encapsulation.
Preparation and functionalization of silica coated semiconductor nanoparticles for the
improvement of X-ray contrast capacity.
Facile preparation of silica coated colloidal nanoparticles for cell imaging, drug
delivery and photonic crystal.
Synthesis of metal oxide-metal oxide nanocomposite particles for the aim to use in
solar cell, environmental remediation and cosmetic materials etc.
Synthesis of novel titania-metal-silica nanocomposites for water splitting.
New production methodology for biodiesel fuel using organic/inorganic hybrid microcapsules.
Optimum design of environment-responsive biocompatible microcapsules
Mesoporous silica coated copper nanoparticles for catalytic application.
Critical Investigation on the microwave-assisted synthesis of metal-metal oxide and metal oxide-metal oxide nanocomposites.
List of Publications
1. N M Bahadur, T Furusawa, F Kurayama, M Sato, I A Siddiquey and N Suzuki, Fast and facile synthesis of silica coated silver nanoparticles by microwave irradiation,
Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 355(2) (2011) 312-320.
2. N M Bahadur, F Kurayama, T Furusawa, M Sato, I A Siddiquey, M M Hossain and N Suzuki, A Facile Approach to Fabrication of Novel CeO2-TiO2 Core-Shell Nanocomposite Leads to Excellent UV-shielding Ability and Lower Catalytic Activity,
Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2013, 15, 1390.
3. F Kurayama, , S Suzuki, N M Bahadur, T Furusawa, M Sato, N Suzuki, Preparation of aminosilane–alginate hybrid microcapsules and their use for enzyme encapsulation,
Journal of Materials Chemistry, 22(2012) 15405.
4. N M Bahadur, S Watanabe, T Furusawa, M Sato, F Kurayama, I A Siddiquey, Y Kobayashi, N Suzuki, Rapid one-step synthesis, characterization and functionalization of silica coated gold nanoparticles,
Colloid and Surface A; Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 392 (1) (2011) 137-144.
5. N M Bahadur, T. Furusawa, M. Sato, F. Kurayama, N. Suzuki, Rapid synthesis, characterization and optical properties of TiO2 coated ZnO nanocomposite particles by a novel microwave irradiation method.
Materials Research Bulletin, 45 (2010) 1383-1388.
6. F Kurayama, T Yoshikawa, T Furusawaki, N M Bahadur, H Hunda, M Sato, N Suzuki, Microcapsule with a heterogeneous catalyst as a microreactor for biodiesel production from the methanolysis of rapeseed oil
Bioresource Technology May 135 (2013) 652-658.
7. M M Rahmana, N Akter, M R Karima, N. Ahmad, M M Rahmanb, , I.A. Siddiquey, N M Bahadur, M.A. Hasnat, Optimization, kinetic and thermodynamic studies for removal of Brilliant Red (X-3B) using Tannin gel.
Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 2 (2014) 76–83.
8. N M Bahadur, H Takaoka, T Furusawa, F Kurayama, M Sato, Iqbal A Siddiquey, N Suzuki, Silica coating of copper nanoparticles by a fast and facile microwave method,
Journal of Japan. Society of Powder and Powder Metallurgy, 58 (2011) 591.
9. N M Bahadur, T Furusawa, F Kurayama, M Sato and N Suzuli, A novel approach to silica-titania composite material and its photocatalytic efficiency,
Material Technology, 28 (2), 2010, 45-55.
10. M A Hasnat, M M Rahman, S M Borhanuddin, A Siddiqua, N M Bahadur, M R Karim, Efficient hydrogen peroxide decomposition on bimetallic Pt–Pd surfaces,
Catalysis Communications, 12 (2010) 286–291.
11. I A Siddiquey, T Furusawa, M Sato, N M Bahadur, N Suzuki Fabrication of silica coated Al2O3 nanoparticles via a fast and facile route utilizing microwave irradiation,
Materials Chemistry and Physics, 130 (2011) 583– 586.
12. I A Siddiquey, T Furusawa, M Sato, N M Bahadur, N Uddin and N Suzuki, A rapid method for the preparation of silica-coated ZrO2 nanoparticles by microwave irradiation,
Ceramics International, 37 (6) (2011), 1755-1760.
13. I A Siddiquey, T Furusawa, M Sato, N M Bahadur, N Suzuki, Sonochemical synthesis, photocatalytic activity and optical properties of silica coated ZnO nanoparticles,
Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 19 (2012) 750–755.
14. M A Habib, N M Bahadur, A J Mahmood, M A Islam, Immobilization of heavy metals in cementitious matrices,
J. Saudi Chem. Soc., 16(3), 2012, 263-269.
15. M A Habib, M T Sahadat, M A Habib, N M Bahadur, A J Mahmood, Synthesis and characterization of ZnO-TiO2 nanocomposites and their application as photocatalysts,
Inaternational Nano Letters, 2013, 3-5.
16. I Mustafa, M S Alam, M N Amin , N M Bahadur and M A Habib, Phenol removal
from aqueous system by jute stick, Pakistan Journal of Analytical and
Environmental Chemistry, 9 (2), 2008, 92-95.
17. M A Habib, M M Rab, N M Bahadur, I M I Ismail, Thermally Treated Local
Sand is an Alternative of Fly Ash in Preparation of Composite Cement.
International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology,3 (12), 2014, 966-970.
18. M M Hossain, M J Mia, M N Kayes, M A Hossain, N M Bahadur, Preparation of ZnO with Characteristic Surface Properties for Application as an Adsorbent,
J Bangladesh Chem. Soc., 26 (2), 2014, 112-125.
19. A j Mahmood, M A Jabber, N M Bahadur and S Akhter, Voltammetric Studies Of Some Dyes in Aqueous Solution at Pt-Disk Electrode, The Dhaka University Journal of Science,52(2), 2004, 261-264.
20. A J Mahmood, M A Jabbar, M Muslim and N M Bahadur, Voltammetric and Photodegradation studies of Orange G in water, The Dhaka University Journal of Science, 53(1), 2005,153-159.
21. Nanostructured SiO2@ZnO photocatalyst showing enhanced photocatalytic activity
for the degradation of organic pollutants. (Under review).
1. F Kurayama, T Furusawa, M Sato, N M Bahadur, N Suzuki, Modification of alginate microcapsules using silane coupling agent and application to enzyme immobilization, in, Alginates: Production, Types and Applications, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., USA, PP; 177-198.
2. F Kurayama, T Furusawa, N M Bahadur, M Sato, N Suzuki, Biodiesel Production Using CaO-Loaded Microcapsules As a Solid Base Catalyst , Nova Science Publishers, Inc., USA, PP 147-174.
3. N M Bahadur, T Furusawa, F Kurayama, M Sato, N Suzuki, Gold Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Optical Properties and Applications for Cancer Treatment “Nova Science Publishers, Inc., USA, (In preparation)
List of presentations
1. N M Bahadur, S Igarashi, T Furusawa, M Sato, F Kurayama, N Suzuki, Microwave-assisted Synthesis, Characterization, Surface Functionalization of Silica Coated Silver Iodide Nanocomposite Particles and Their Possible Bioapplication, 2nd Global Congress on Microwave Energy Applications, Long Beach, California, USA, July 23-27, 2012
2. N M Bahadur, Y. Hoshi, S Watanabe, T Furusawa, F Kurayama, M Sato, N Suzuki, A novel technique for synthesis of silica coated gold and silver nanocomposite particles by microwave irradiation, The International Chemical Congress of Pacific Basin Societies, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, December 15-20, 2010.
3. N M Bahadur, T Furusawa, F Kurayama, M Sato, N Suzuki, A novel approach to prepare silica-titania composite material and its photocatalytic efficiency, The 48th Symposium on Powder Science and Technology, Takamatsu, Kagawa, Japan, October 15-20, 2010.
4. N M Bahadur, S Watanabe, T Furusawa, F Kurayama, M Sato, N Suzuki, Rapid synthesis, characterization and photoluminescence of ZnO-TiO2 nanocomposite by a novel microwave irradiation method, The 47th Symposium on Powder Science and Technology, Hachioji, Japan, November 30- December 2, 2010.
5. N M Bahadur, S Watanabe, T Furusawa, F Kurayama, M Sato, N Suzuki, Synthesis of silver-silica core-shell nanocomposite by a novel microwave method, 7th international Conference on Optics-photonics Design and Fabrication, Yokohama, Japan, April 19-21, 2010.
6. N M Bahadur, T Furusawa, F Kurayama, M Sato, N Suzuki, Modification of gold nanoparticles via microwave irradiation method, Global Congress on Microwave Energy Applications, GCMEA 2008 (MAJIC 1st), Otsu, Japan, 4-8 August, 2008.
7.A J Mahmood, A Jabber, S Akhter and N M Bahadur, Photoelectrochemical studies of some dyes, The Third Jordanian International Conference of Chemistry, Yarmork University, Irbid, Jordan, 22-26 April, 2002.
8.A J Mahmood, A Jabber, N M Bahadur, Voltammetry of Bractive T Blue, Silver Jubilee Conference of Bangladesh Chemical Society, Jahangir Nagar University, Savar, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 11-13 January, 2003.
9.A J Mahmood, M A Jabbar, S Akhtar and N M Bahadur, Voltammetry of Methylene Blue in Aqueous Solution at ITO Glass Electrode, 203rd Meeting of The Electrochemical Society, Paris, France, 27 April- 2 May, 2003.
Bangla (Bengali) - Mother Tongue
English -Fluent in Speaking and Writing
Japanese - Speaking and Writing (hiragana)
Fellowship and Awards
Mobukagakusho Scholarship (funded by the Japanese Government): October 2007-
Young scientist scholarship, Venture Business Laboratory, Utsunomiya University,
Japan (for the year 2008)
Young scientist scholarship, Venture Business Laboratory, Utsunomiya University,
Japan (for the year 2009)
Primary School Scholarship (funded by peoples republic of Bangladesh) : 1987
1. Journal of Nanoparticle Research
2. Journal of Hazardous Materials
3. Dyes and Pigments
4. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects
5. The Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering
6. Chemical Papers
7. Indian Journal of Pure & Applied Physics
8. International Journal of Nano letters.
10. Physical Sciences Research International (PSRI)
1. Japan Society of Electromagnetic Wave Energy Applications
2. Japan Research Institute of Material Technology
3. Bangladesh Chemical Society