Who can take CITS courses?

People of all backgrounds: students seeking a bachelor's degree, people interested

in interpreting as a full-time career, those interested in training, those interested in

part-time work are all encouraged to enroll in the courses.If you are seeking a

degree, you must be a Univesity of Hawai‘i student. To register with the University

of Hawai‘i at Manoa, click here. If you are simply seeking to improve your

interpreting/translating (T&I) skills, you do not need to be a student within the UH

system. Anyone can take our courses through Outreach College. CITS offers credit

courses for UH students as well as non-credit courses for non-UH. Please see


What are the focus languages?

Many of our courses are 'generic,' meaning English is used to teach the concepts,

principles, and skills of Translation & Interpretation (T&I). However, while high-

level T&I courses focus primarily on East-Asian Languages, specifically, Chinese-

English and Japanese-English, UHM offers a variety of translation and

interpretation courses whose focus languages extends to Hawaiian-

English, French-English, Spanish-English and Ilokano-English. Training in other

languages can be provided if we receive enough requests for that language. Please

see the Courses link for more information.

What certificates does CITS offer?

CITS issues certificates in simultaneous and consecutive (conference) interpreting

to those who pass the certification exams. Certification exams are also offered in

translation when needed. Exams are offered normally once a year.

What degrees does CITS offer?

Students can obtain a Bachelor's degree in Translation & Interpretation Studies

within the Interdisciplinary Studies department of the University of Hawai‘i. For

more information, please go to the Interdisciplinary Studies Homepage.

How about financial aid?

The University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa offers financial aid to those students who

qualify. Non-UH students may be able to receive funds through other means. The

summer course (SIIT) is a non-credit program, and therefore, may have certain

restrictions. For non-credit funding assistance information, click here. Should you

desire more information on credit-course funding assistance, please contact the

Financial Aid Services at the University of Hawai‘i by clicking here.

How about housing?

Campus housing is possible, but reservations for these accommodations must be

made in advance and directly with the University of Hawai‘i Student Housing

Services. Click here for more details. Summer housing is rather unique, and

information regarding summer housing can be found here. The UH website also

lists off-campus housing. You may also find housing on other websites, such

as craigslist.

How about visa(s) and I-20(s)?

For regular UH students, all visa requirements are handled by International

Student Services. For visa information on our summer classes (SIIT), click here.