About MCHS

Boasting more than a century of tradition, Millington Central High School serves the academic, extracurricular, and social needs of more than 1500 students from Millington and northwest Shelby County. The MCHS faculty is comprised of dedicated, highly qualified teachers who offer a wide range of college preparatory, career and technical, and fine arts courses. Students also can take advantage of more than 20 honors courses and seven AP classes. The school’s large Navy JROTC unit teaches leadership, discipline and organization. Colleges and universities offered MCHS students more than $3 million dollars in scholarships in 2009 alone.

Students at Millington Central High School, “Home of the Trojans”, also participate in a vast array of athletic and extracurricular offerings. Recent MCHS athletic teams have won district titles and competed for state titles. Numerous MCHS student athletes have gone on to compete at the college and professional levels. More than 20 clubs and honor societies offer every student the chance to get involved and work with others on community service projects.

Perhaps most importantly, students at MCHS learn to interact, compete, and succeed in an increasingly global world. With one of the most diverse student bodies in Shelby County, MCHS is a school where young men and women of every background can find a place to demonstrate their talents and pursue their interests. The school’s caring faculty both challenges and supports students so they can find success. For more information about Millington Central High School, please call us at 901-873-8100.

History

Soon after Millington was founded in the 1870′s, a reading school was established in a wood frame structure on this site by the Shelby County Board of Education. The building was surrounded by woods. Soon, enrollment grew until a second room was added, also a second teacher. These two rooms were later enlarged with four downstairs, and a concert hall upstairs. In the 1890′s the school was organized into grades. A 1907 brick structure was razed in 1916 and a brick and terra cotta “Beaux-Arts” style edifice was erected on the site and stood until 2005. The school had eleven grades. The twelfth grade class was authorized in 1910 and by 1911 two students received high school diplomas.

Some other firsts for MCHS were …

The New Millington Central High School building provides modern, code-compliant facilities which will include: sixty teaching stations, special classrooms for newspaper and yearbook, art, choral music, a computer lab, the main office and guidance. Most of the Wilkinsville Road frontage will remain a pastoral setting.