CampHERO– Volunteer Job Description – Health and Safety Officer 2014
Title: Health and Safety Officer
Reports to: Incident Commander
Compensation: Unpaid Volunteer
Term & Hours: Pre-camp training, orientations and meetings. During camp, 24/7 coverage (shared). Post camp meetings and reporting.
Supervise all operations during CampHERO to assure the health and safety of campers, volunteers and staff. Respond to any emergencies and render first aid. Assure emergency plans are implemented when needed. Track and dispense camper medications as indicated by parents/guardians on health history forms.
All Volunteers must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a current Volunteer Application on file which includes a current background check.
- Complete the CampHERO orientation and training appropriate to position.
- Be able to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Have strong communication and organizational skills and ability to maintain accurate records.
- Adhere to all policies, standards and procedures for GSUSA, Girl Scouts of Wisconsin-Badgerland Council and CampHERO.
- Attend, view or participate in all trainings pertinent to position.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Wear Health and Safety Officer vest, to be identifiable at all times.
- Execute health and safety procedures including, but not limited to: Daily Medication administration, procedures for minor illness or injury, response to emergencies-medical or traumatic, response to severe weather, response to lost camper or volunteer.
- Develop and deliver health and safety orientation/training for all volunteers. (HSO Coordinator: Linnea Anderson)
- Acquire necessary personal protective equipment and ensure it is being used/worn properly and readily by all campers, volunteers and staff to assure the preservation of their health and safety.
- Oversee all fireground and training evolutions and monitor for safety, health and hazardous exposures.
- Daily and at the beginning of each camp session complete an age-appropriate site safety survey of training facilities and camp.
- Alter, suspend, or terminate activities that may pose a health or safety danger to campers, volunteers and staff.
- Schedule 24/7 coverage of Safety Officer-Health Supervisor position. (HSO Coordinator: Linnea Anderson)
- Attend daily command staff briefing.
- Conduct a daily morning briefing with campers and volunteers.
- Provide daily care (first aid, medication distribution) and emergency care.
- Ensure health/emergency information is on file and privacy protected for all campers and volunteers.
- Assure the health and safety of girls and volunteers.
- Sleep at camp in a cabin unit with other volunteers.
- Keep detailed documentation of incidents.
- Communicate with volunteers as necessary.
- Be available by CampHERO radio or cell phone at all times.
- Maintain CampHERO medical kit including security of all camper and volunteer medications.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Other Job Requirements:
- Be or become a registered member of the Girl Scouts of the USA.
- Current valid driver’s license.
- Trained to the level of Paramedic or RN.
- Current CPR/AED certification.
- Those scheduled during camper training ground activities, must have expertise in Fire-EMS-Police safety standards.
To apply, complete the CampHERO Volunteer Profile and Authorization for Background Check.