Vanilla Custard Crepe Cake
by Chic & Gorgeous Treats
* serves 6
*makes around 24-26 layers of 7-inches round crepe
* cake can be kept up to 3 days, stored in an airtight container in a fridge
90g unsalted butter
750ml whole milk
170g all-purpose flour
100g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Vanilla Pastry Cream
500ml whole milk
1 vanilla bean, scraped and halved
6 egg yolks
115g caster sugar
pinch of salt
42g cornflour, sifted
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
400ml heavy cream, whipped soft peak
To prepare Crepes:
1. In a heavy-based saucepan, melt butter over low heat until lightly browned; set aside to cool. In another saucepan, heat milk until steaming hot, stirring often, set aside to cool. In a larger bowl, coming remaining ingredient and pour in the hot milk and browned butter. Lightly whisk until the batter is well combined, cover tightly with a cling wrap and, refrigerate overnight.
To cook the Crepes:
2. Bring crepe batter to room temperature. Heat a 7-inch or 9-inch nonstick frying pan over low-medium heat. Grease pan lightly with some unsalted butter. Add a ladle of crepe batter, swirl to form a thin crepe. Cook for 1 minute over low heat. Flip and cook the other side for another minute or edges are lightly golden in colour. Remove and set aside on a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, stacking the crepes as you work.
To prepare the Pastry Cream:
3. In a heavy-base saucepan, combine milk and the seeds of vanilla bean. *Reserve the vanilla pod to make vanilla flavoured sugar. Place milk with vanilla bean over medium heat and remove off the heat before it comes to a boil. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, salt and cornflour. While whisking, pour some hot milk. Tip the mixture in to the remainder milk in the saucepan, whisking constantly cooking over high heat. Once the mixture thickens, coating the back of a wooden spoon, remove the vanilla custard off the heat.
4. Push the custard through a sieve to remove any lumps and set aside to cool to 60°C. Whisk in the butter. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for a couple of hours or until the vanilla custard thickens further. Whisk heavy cream to soft peaks, and gently fold it into the custard cream until well combine.
To assemble the Vanilla Custard Cake:
5. Lay a crepe on a cake stand or plate. Spread a thin layer of the Vanilla Pastry Cream with a spatula. Repeat until you have used up all of the crepes and ending the top with a crepe. There should be around 24-26 layers. Dust with powdered sugar or top the crepe cake with fresh berries or stone fruits. Keep refrigerated at all times. ENJOY!
*adapted from Flavours Mag, 2009.
Copyright © 2012 Chic & Gorgeous Treats. All rights reserved.