Placenta Services Description & Waiver
Placenta encapsulation is the process of preparing your placenta after the birth of your baby by dehydrating, powdering and placing it into capsules for you to use as you see fit. Where possible the umbilical cord is also dried and provided separately as a keepsake.
Limitations and Disclaimer
- Placenta Apothecary is not able to diagnose, treat or prescribe for any health condition. Services and fees are for the preparation and encapsulation of your placenta, not for the sale of the pills. No specific benefits or effects are promised. Any benefits will vary from person to person. Some of the ascribed benefits of placenta consumption are supported by research; however these benefits have not been evaluated or approved by the AMA. It is your responsibility to determine whether using placenta preparations may be of benefit to you.
Always speak to your care provider regarding any questions about your health, safety and wellbeing. Placenta services are not meant to be a replacement for medical advice or prescription medicines. If you are experiencing symptoms of postpartum depression, low milk supply, or other medical concerns please speak to your midwife or doctor.
- Please initial to indicate that you have read and understand these limitations * ______
- Whether birthing at home or in a hospital, please ensure that your placenta is kept fresh. It can remain at room temperature for 3-4 hours following the birth. After that it should be refrigerated or otherwise kept cool.
If you are practicing some form of delayed cord cutting or lotus birth, ice packs may be wrapped up with the placenta to prevent spoilage. If it is going to be more than 4 or 5 days before the placenta can be prepared, it should be frozen. (A frozen placenta will take somewhat longer to prepare since I prefer to gently defrost it prior to preparation.)
You can prepare your placenta for transport by placing it in a couple of large, freezer strength ziplock bags or in a large plastic tupperware, yogurt or ice cream container, or glass casserole with lid, then into a cooler with ice packs or into a refrigerator.
It is important to note that there may be circumstances under which your placenta can not be used. Significant abnormalities of the placenta may necessitate your doctor or midwife sending your placenta to Pathology for further examination. Other conditions, such as signs of infection during labour, may mean that consuming your placenta will not be beneficial to you. If in doubt I will consult with you before proceeding. It should be possible to claim your placenta after Caesarean birth. If you are not able to obtain and use your placenta for any reason, I will return your deposit and provide you with some other ideas to support your postpartum recovery.
If your placenta is not suitable for consumption you can still honor it by a burial and/or tree planting.
Please let us know if you have any health concerns which may affect the health of your placenta or the health and safety of anyone who may come into contact with your placenta.
- I understand that my placenta must be handled in a manner appropriate for safe food preparation from birth until received by Placenta Apothecary * ______
- please initial to indicate you understand that your placenta must be handled and stored properly to be suitable for encapsulation
Placenta Service Requested
- Placenta encapsulation
There are other things you can do beside encapsulation (smoothies & placenta meal preparation). If you have something else you'd like to try, please feel free to discuss it with us!
- Method *
- Encapsulation - singleton
- Encapsulation - twins
- Placenta meal prep
- Placenta smoothie
- Placenta broth
- Placenta print
- I have something else I'd like to try
- Please call or text your provider asap after the birth, between the hours of 8am and 8pm, so we can look at our calendar and schedule your encapsulation.
Please note - there is a $50 additional fee for service outside of our normal service area(s).
- Fees *
- $250 - single encapsulation
- $325 - twins encapsulation
- $25 add broth, meal prep, or smoothie
- $25 placenta print
- Name *
- Partner's name
- Due Date (month/day/year) *
- Email address *
- Street address *
- Cell phone *
- Partner's cell phone *
- Home phone
- Planned place of birth *
- Any health concerns with this pregnancy? *
- Are you taking any medications with this pregnancy (other than prenatal vitamins/supplements)? *
- Is there anything else you would like us to know or would like to share with us?
Safety and Care of Placenta
- There are a few instances where placenta encapsulation & tincture are contraindicated.
These include Hepatitis-B, -C and HIV/AIDS.
It is also contraindicated if you are a smoker as there are high levels of heavy metals in the placentas of women who smoke during pregnancy.
- My placenta does not contain any transmittable diseases such as Hepatitis-B, -C or HIV/AIDS. *______
- please initial to indicate that your placenta does not contain any transmittable diseases
- I am a cigarette smoker (during pregnancy) *
- My care provider and I have determined that my placenta is healthy and suitable for encapsulation.*______
- please initial to indicate your placenta is healthy and suitable for encapsulation
- Placenta Apothecary does not determine whether my placenta should be consumed and makes no guarantee of my personal results from the capsules. *______
- please initial to indicate you understand we are not recommending placenta encapsulation nor guaranteeing results
- I release Placenta Apothecary (Taryn Leigh Gurgol) from any and all liability and effects I may experience after choosing to take the capsules. *______
- please initial to release us from any and all liability with any form of placenta medicine
- Placenta Apothecary) views each placenta as a sacred connection between mother and child and will treat it accordingly. I will not hold Placenta Apothecary responsible if my placenta is accidentally damaged in the encapsulation process. *
- How did you hear about our services? *