Voice Tools: Voice E-mail Moodle ISU
Blackboard Collaborate Voice Tools facilitate and promote vocal instruction, collaboration, coaching, and assessment -- perfect for language learning, and creating vocal exercises in any subject.
Voice E-mail allows teachers to send audio recordings from Moodle ISU to a student’s ISU Gmail account.
Note: The files created using Voice tools are considered User Data and therefore CANNOT be backed up and restored into a new course. If you would like to create a file that can be used in multiple courses/semesters, please contact ITRC.
Note: Many mobile devices do not run Java and therefore the Voice Tools applications will not be accessible on those devices. If you are unsure if your device will run Java you may need to check with the device manufacturer.
This guide will help you to:
- Add the Voice E-mail Activity
- Compose a Voice E-mail
Guides for the other Voice Tools:
Student Guides for Voice Tools:
Adding the Voice E-mail Activity
- Turn Editing On. For more information please see the Moodle ISU 2 Overview.
- Locate the week /topic where you want to add the presentation.
- Click on the Add an Activity or Resource link. A box will appear showing you all activities and resources.
- Choose Voice E-mail and Click Add.
Composing a Voice E-mail
- Locate and click on the Voice E-mail activity on your course homepage.
- A pop-up window will appear. Click Run to allow Collaborate to open. If this window does not appear you may need to disable the pop-up blocker in your browser. For instructions, please see Voice Tools: Browser Pop-up Blockers.
- A Voice E-mail window will open with the instructor’s email pre-populated as the sender’s address and all of the course participants’ e-mail addresses automatically populated.
- If you wish to send the Voice E-mail to all students, you do not need to add or change anything in the To box.
- If you have specific students you wish to send a Voice E-mail to, click inside the To box and delete those students addresses you do not wish to include.
- When you are ready to record your voice message, Click the Record ⚫ button. Once you have started recording, the Pause ┃┃ and Stop ■ buttons will illuminate.
- Pause ┃┃: Clicking this button will allow you to halt recording temporarily. Clicking the Record ⚫ button will allow you to add onto the existing file.
- Stop ■: Clicking this button will end the recording session. You will not be able to add additional audio to the file once the Stop ■ button has been clicked. Clicking the Record ⚫ button will prompt you to override the existing file.
- Click Play ► to play back the recording.
- Adding text is optional, but will provide accommodation for those with hearing disabilities. To enter text to accompany your recording, click and type in the large text box at the bottom of the recording window.
- When you have finished composing your Voice E-mail, Click Send.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.