Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wednesday, August 5th, 5:30 pm
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building (PCTB) room 113/114 (opposite the Greenhouse Cafe)
Diversity Postdoc Alliance Committee Meeting
All are welcome to learn about issues affecting our diverse postdoc community.
When: Monday, July 27th, 6:00pm
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Stan Andrisse or Dionna Williams
Internationals Committee Meeting
Join us in discussing and planning internationally-themed events for the postdoc community; all welcome!
When: Tuesday, July 28th, 12:30 pm
Where: Cobblestone Cafe
Contact: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Professional Development Committee Meeting
Join us to learn about different initiatives taken up by the committee for professional development of postdocs.
When: Friday, July 31th, 12:00 pm
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Jineta Banerjee or Xiang Xu
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Stanley Andrisse
Co-president: Rohan Gupta
Treasurer: Nick Wyhs
Secretary: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Anna Blice-Baum and Pankhuri Vyas
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postdoc Internship Program
Short-term internships for gaining skills and experience in diverse careers. Check out the Postdoc Internship Program website for complete program descriptions.
Current position openings:
- Science Communication - Office of External Affairs in the BSPH
- Technology Commercialization
- Policy & Advocacy - Office of Policy Coordination
National Postdoc Survey
National survey that aims to capture information regarding postdoc fellows’ situation, goals, beliefs, and performance. It is being circulated through multiple postdoc associations around the world and takes ~10-12 minutes to complete. The goal is that this data will assist in decision making for both future postdocs and policy makers. (link)
The research team: Mor Grinstein and Roi Treister (Mass Gen & Harvard Med School) & Amir Grinstein (Northeastern & VU Amsterdam)
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. For more information, click here
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: Science careers handbook 2015
Science Careers has teamed up with some great organizations to bring you information about the latest career opportunities in many diverse fields. The profiles include organizations that are recruiting and the types of positions they offer. Find the top employers from 2014 along with some general tips and advice on job searching.
Read the digital version here.
Click here to download the PDF version.
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Summer party and BBQ, Wed., July 29th
JHPDA invites you to a summer party and evening barbecue! Come Enjoy:
- Free Food!
- Free Drinks!
- **Water balloon games!**
When: Wednesday, July 29, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: PCTB Courtyard
Questions? Email email@example.com
2015 Survey for Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral Research Fellows
You have a VOICE, and we are louder than a choir!
This is YOUR chance to give feedback on ways to improve the experience of all Johns Hopkins fellows. This survey covers the following topics: 1) Salary and benefits; 2) Resources available to you as a fellow; 3) Diversity and inclusion; 4) Careers; and 5) Training.
Click here to go to the survey
The survey should take less than 15 minutes to complete. All responses are anonymous, and all who participate will be entered to win a $25 Amazon gift card!
The survey deadline has been extended to July 31st, 2015 and is sponsored by the JHPDA Policy and Advocacy Committee. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Development Opportunities
JHPDA Research Presentation Club: Dates through October available!
Come join the Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Dates through October now available!
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Developing a tailored resume and deciphering the job announcement
- Applying for Federal Jobs
- Grant Craft - Summer 2015
- Thursday, 8/13, 10:00 - 4:00 pm Location: West Lecture Hall
- Topics covered: Federal grant process and culture, how to choose a fundable research problem, write a competitive grant and so much more. For further info and registration click here.
Additional Professional Development Events
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- JHU-MedImmune Science Day, MedImmune Headquarters in Gaithersburg, MD
- 9/24, Applications due 8/03 (application link, details)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy (PFFTA) programs
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- The Hopkins Chinese Scholar Career Forum: the faculty position application in U.S./China workshop, Friday, 7/31, 4:30 - 5:30 pm, WBSB 811 (details, RSVP)
- National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) combined call for workshops, innovation in action sessions, and posters for the 2016 Annual Meeting will open on August 3 and will close October 2. (details) (posted 7/20)
- Association of Women in Science: recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- ASCB Kaluza Prize for excellence in graduate student research (due 7/31; details)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- A position is available for Assistant professor of Psychology, human neuroscience at Goucher college. (details) (posted 7/13)
- The National Science Foundation (NSF)’s Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) is seeking panelists for the 2016 competition, including postdoctoral researchers. Register with your CV or NSF biosketch (details) (posted 7/13)
- Postdoctoral fellowship - The National Cancer Institute (NCI) Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program (CPFP) is now accepting applications. (details: due 8/25/15) (posted 7/13)
- A postdoctoral position is available to study stem cells and regenerative mechanisms in epithelial organs in the lab of Dr. Sarah Knox in the UCSF Department of Cell and Tissue Biology and Program in Craniofacial Biology. (details) (posted 7/06)
- Cancer biology faculty positions at The Wistar Institute (details; due 9/10) (posted 6/29)
- Plasma Protein Therapeutics Association (PPTA) seeks Medical Director (link) (posted 6/28)
- Postdoc position available in Hopkins Brain Institute (link) (posted 6/22)
- Postdoctoral fellowship- University of Texas medical branch in Galveston is accepting applications for women’s health research (details) (posted 6/08)
- The IRCCS Candiolo (To) Italy is recruiting new PI(details) (posted 6/08)
- Psychiatrist Seniors’ Services team in Montgomery County (link) (posted 5/11)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
Events around Baltimore
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.