Adapted from Searching for Spice
Yield - 12 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 red onion
1 large leek
4 cloves garlic
30 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
salt + pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
5 green onions
1 lemon, zested and juiced
6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 roll phyllo dough, thawed
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Add the olive oil and butter to a large pan. Heat on low.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the pan. Increase the heat, stirring frequently. Cook the onions until they are soft and translucent.
- Thoroughly wash the leeks and chop finely. Add to the soften onions.
- Crush and finely dice the garlic. Add to the onions and leeks.
- Squeeze out excess water from the spinach and add to pan. Stir and cook until the mixture is warmed through. Season with a generous amount of salt, pepper, the oregano, nutmeg, and red pepper flakes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Finely chop the green onions. Zest and juice the lemon. Add the green onions, lemon zest, and juice to the spinach mix. Stir together and taste for seasoning. Adjust as needed.
- Gently beat the two eggs and add them to the spinach mixture with the feta. Stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 375 ˚F.
- Melt the butter. Use a pastry brush to thoroughly butter a 9x13” pan.
- Layer 6 sheets of phyllo dough with a brush butter in between each layer in the pan. It’s okay if the dough rips, just piece together.
- Press the spinach mixture in an even layer on the phyllo dough. Repeat the process of layering the phyllo dough with butter on top of the spinach.
- Cut through the top of the dough gently to mark 12 slices or however many slice you want.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the mixture is set and golden brown.
- Let cool slightly for easier cutting and serving.