***This is a live document compiled by Carlisaon 5/27/20. If you wish to give credit click here for Instagram, here for Facebook or here for Twitter. You are free to share and post this document anywhere. ***
***Highlighted items are items added recently.***
Updated daily as more resources and information becomes available.
**Submit updates and additions to firstname.lastname@example.org
YOU CAN COMPLETE ACTION ITEMS MORE THAN ONCE!!!
**Shorten link for doc bit.ly/BlackLivesAction (Case sensitive)
En español aquí
Seeking justice means putting in the work. Say their names, share their stories, but first and foremost, take action. We must help the families of Ahmad Arbery, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, and the many other Black Americans unjustly murdered and abused by law enforcement and other protectors of white supremacy. Take action today.
Text ‘MORAL’ TO 909-75
Text POLICE to 504-09
and easily and automatically sign a petition to end police brutality and send letters to your officials.
Police/National Guard murdered David Mcatee in Louisville around 12 am as they shot blindly into a crowd outside Mcatees business. Governor Beshear is allowing LMPD to independently investigate themselves. This cannot stand.
- Contact Governor Beshear and Mayor Fischerand demand accountability.
- Governor's office (502) 564-2611
- If you have a Kentucky address submit an email here.
- Mayor Greg Fischer -Call (502) 574-2003 or Email here
- Contact County Attorney- Call (502) 574-6336
- Contact Attorney General Call (502) 429-7134
- Demands from Kentucky US Senate nominee Charles Booker
- Immediate release of all body camera
- Appoint citizen review panel with subpoena power to investigate
- Louisville Mayor must immediately appoint interim police chief
**Update 6/2 Police Chief has been fired**
- Mayor must immediately fire the officers involved responsible for Breonna Taylor Murder
- Sign the petition here to contact elected officials and demand:
- Remove Police Chief Lawrence Revell
- Open an unbiased investigation into Tony’s murder
- Arrest all the police officers involved
- Release all body camera footage
- Demand the TPD Citizens Advisory Committee be dissolved and replaced with a freely elected Citizens Police Accountability Council
- Demand response from the Mayor, City Commission, and the Mayor’s “LGBTQ Advisory Board”
- Contact Mayor John E. Dailey and demand response and acknowledgment of Tony’s murder and establishment of Citizens Police Accountability Council
- 850-891-2000 or email@example.com
- Please also Text ‘TONY’ TO 484848 for more ways to help.
!!!FIRST PUBLIC HEARING FOR CASE 6/4!!!
- Demand the immediate resignation of District Attorneys Jackie Johnson and George Barnhill. Sign the petitions here and here.
- Complete repeal of Georgia’s Citizens Arrest Statue (OCGA 17-4-60). Contact your representative and demand it.
- Establishment of Hate Crime Bill in Georgia. HB 426 must be passed. Contact your representatives and demand it.
- **Added 6/3** Case has been assigned to Cobb County DA Joyette Holmes Contact (770) 528-3080 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Glynn County District Attorney 912-554-7200
- Find your representatives www.senate.ga.gov and www.house.ga.gov
- Sign the petition here demanding:
- Firing of LMPD Officers involved
- Charges dismissed against Breonna’s boyfriend (They are in the process of being dismissed).
- Support the demands of Louisville Branch of NAACP
- Kentucky Attorney General intervene and appoint an independent prosecutor to investigate LMPD
**Special investigator appointed as of 5/28, but transparency still required.
- File charges against everyone involved in Breonna’s Murder
- Policy change as it pertains to police raids, body cameras, and internal investigations
- Mayor Greg Fischer -Call (502) 574-2003 or Email email@example.com
- Contact County Attorney- Call (502) 574-6336 Now please contact Attorney General
- Contact Attorney General firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-429-7134
- Contact the Police chief here ( Chief Steve Conrad has resigned as of 5/28)
- New Contact ADDED 6/4 Interim Police Chief Robert Schroeder Robert.Schroeder@louisvilleky.gov
***Updated instructions and details to support Breonna’s case here***
- Sign the petition here demanding:
- Minneapolis Mayor block the pensions of the fired officers and ban them from ever becoming police officers again.
- District Attorney Freeman charge all four officers with murder immediately.
**Derek Chauvin has been placed under arrest and charged with 3rd-degree murder as of 5/29**
***Update! All officers have been charged.
- Demand the immediate release of the names of all officers who murdered George Floyd. (Identified as of 5/28: Derek Chauvin, Thomas Lane, Tou Thao, and J. Alexander Kueng)
- Police Chief Medaria Arradondo- Call 612-673-2735 or Email email@example.com, Minneapolis311@minneapolismn.gov, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mayor Jacob Frey at email@example.com or (612) 673-2100
- Call Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, and Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison today and urge them to appoint an independent prosecutor to work under the Attorney General’s authority. Contacts here.
***Additional contacts and resources here.***
- Sign the petition here demanding all officers involved be charged with murder
- Contact Marion County Prosecutor Ryan Mears(317)327-3522 and demand accountability and charges be brought forth.
- Contact Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett 312-3601 or https://www.indy.gov/workflow/write-to-the-mayor
- Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb 317-232-4567 or https://www.in.gov/gov/2752.htm
James was murdered on May 30 in Omaha, Nebraska by a white supremacist. His murder has not been formally charged.
- Sign petition here.
- Demand Douglas County Attorney office pursue justice for James Scurlock. Currently it has been stated by the county attorney that it was self defense at charges no charges will be brought forth. This cannot stand.
- Contact Douglas County Attorney Office at 402-444-7040
- UPDATE 6/4: Grand Jury has been requested to convene with special prosecutor.
While protesting, Justin was shot with a “non-lethal” rubber bullet in Austin. As he was being carried by medics, they were again the target of shots from law enforcement. Justin now has a fractured skull and is in critical condition.
- Sign the petition here demanding:
- Austin Mayor Steve Adler, City Manager Spencer Cronk, and Austin City Council Members fire Austin Police Chief Brian Manley
- immediate implementation of training reforms about de-escalation.
- Mayor Steve Adler 512-978-2100 or email here.
- City Manager Spencer Crock 512-974-2220 or email here.
- City Council Members email here
To demand the firing of Police Chief Brian Manley and implementation of de-escalation training for law enforcement.
***NOTE*** Justin has not passed away. He is in critical condition.
- Sign petition here.
- Release of complaint history, disciplinary record, and toxicology report for all officers involved
- Release the autopsy and footage to the family
- Fire, charge, and convict all officers involved( Matthew Collins, Christopher Burbank, Masyih Ford, and Timothy Rankine)
- Fire Police Chief Donald Ramsdell
- Mayor Victoria Woodards 253-594-7848
- City Council Member for S.Tacoma District Chris Beale 253-591-5470
- Pierce County Council Member Marty Campbell 253-798-6653
- District Attorney Mary Robnett 253-798-7400
- Washington State Attorney-Tacome 253-593-5243
- Calling script available here
While protesting in Minneapolis Jaleel and other protestors were fired upon from a white van. Jaleel was wrongly charged and arrested for this. Upon arrest he was also beaten. He has broken bones and his medical status is not completely known at this time.
- Sign the petition here.
- Jaleel’s Immediate release
- All charges dropped
- Hennepin County Attorney’s office 612-348-5550 or email
** Added 6/7**
- Sign the petition here
- Outside, transparent, and public investigation because the Phoenix Police department cannot investigate without bias
- Arrest and charge of all officers involved
- All information must be made available to Dion’s family and the public
- Mayor Kate Gallego 602-262-7100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email/Phone template here.
- More contacts and resources for #JusticeforDion here from BLM Phoenix
Fill with appropriate names and contacts. Can also be used as a script for calling.
Dear District Attorney Freeman,
I am contacting you today to demand justice for George Floyd who was brutally murdered by those who swore to protect him. As a concerned citizen, I demand the immediate charge of Derek Chauvin, Tuo Thao, and all other officers involved in this grisly killing. Their inaction proved to be as deadly as Chauvin's actions.
When you took office you swore to protect all victims of crimes in Minneapolis. George Floyd is the victim of a most heinous crime. His life was cut short as he was denied every liberty bestowed upon him as an American citizen. Due process, the right to seek justice, and the right to live, all stolen from him by a public servant.
Now, as you face the crossroads of this important decision, I trust you will make the right choice and bring charges against those officers who wrongfully and willfully murdered George Floyd on that fateful day. George Floyd deserves justice and you can deliver it. You must deliver it.
Scripts for calls available here and here
**Added 6/14Congressional Email/Letter Template to End Qualified Immunity here.***
**Section Added 6/4***
Petitions for Black Americans who are victims of Failed Systems
and Militarized Police
***Please read the petitions in full to ensure you complete actions associated with each.***
Reminder DO NOT donate through Change.org!!
Signing a petition is just the first step. Remember to follow up with these cases on a weekly or monthly basis. Search for more actions you can take. Do not allow their names to be forgotten.
- Demand Sandra Bland's case reopened
- Free Willie Simmons who has served 38 years for a $9 robbery
- Justice for Alejandro Martinez who was murdered while walking home from school. No arrests have been made.
- Demand accountability from Portland law enforcement and officials for Tete Gulley who was found hanging from a tree.
- Drop All Charges Against Incarcerated Trafficking Survivor Chrystul Kizer!
- Free Siyanda who was sentenced to 4 ½ years in prison after defending herself.
- Reopen Kendrick Johnson’s Case and demhttps://www.change.org/p/department-of-justice-justice-for-jamarion-robinsonand accountability from investigators
- Justice for Emerald Black who was attacked by San Leandro Police Department while pregnant and subsequently miscarried.
- Indict the Trump Administration & the U.S. government in the United Nations for systemic racial discrimination & killing African-Americans
- Demand Justice for Angelese Rock and Shauntae Chambes and demand accountability from Orlando Police
- Demand Justice for Maurice Gordon who was killed by New Jersey Police while he waited for a tow truck.
- Demand Justice for Elijah McClain who was murdered by Aurora Police while walking home.
- Demand the release of unedited footage of Jamee Johnson’s murder
- Support the family of Kayla Moore, a Black trans woman murdered by Berkeley Police, as they appeal her wrongful death suit
- Support Jamarion Robbinson’s family as they seek legal recourse for his brutal murder at the hands of Atlanta Police.
- Demand the closing of Rikers in the name of Layleen Polanco, an Afro-latina trans woman who died in solitary confinement because of a $500 bail.
***Please note, while this document shares demands that promote police reform in efforts to honor demands presented by organizers, the author of this document believes in and fights for complete abolition. To learn the difference between reform and abolition please click here.***
“Please do not donate to fundraisers associated with Shaun King. To learn more click here or here.”
Do not include any notes in donation descriptions mentioning Black Lives Matter. There are reports of payments being returned.
Split your bail fund donation between 60+ orgs at once here
Doc with full list of bail funds and legal aid here.
Funds to support Protestors
Funds for Victims of Police Brutality and America’s Unjust Criminal Justice System
Added after 6/4
Organizations to Support Financially
**Link added 6/7 Find more local Black-led organizations near you here.
**Please note the best way to ensure your donation is being used to its fullest is by donating to local grassroots organizations.***
Resources for Protestors
National Lawyers’ Guild/allies to call if:
If you are protesting memorize correct number or write on your body in permanent marker
a) they have been arrested during protests
b) are planning a protest and want legal observers/lawyers on site.
- Austin, TX: (512) 817-4254
- Buffalo, NY: (716) 332-4658
- Central Pennsylvania: (717) 686-9989
- Chicago, IL:
- if in police custody 1-844-817-4448,
- if you have been criminally charged and need a lawyer: 773.309.1198.
- Cleveland, OH: (216) 5050-654
- Detroit, MI: (313) 925-2626
- Eugene, OR: (541) 687-9180
- Georgia: (678) 902-JAIL
- Houston, TX: (512) 975-5880
- Idaho: (208) 991-4324
- Los Angeles, CA: (310) 313-3700
- Madison, WI: (608) 520-0654
- Massachusetts: (617) 431-6626
- Minnesota: (612) 444-2654
- New Hampshire: (802) 417-2173
- New Jersey: (908) 818-0002
- New York City: (212) 679-6018
- North Carolina: (919) 408-7569
- Pittsburgh, PA: (412) 212-6753
- Portland, OR: (503) 902-5340
- Sacramento, CA: (916) 500-4654
- San Francisco/Bay Area, CA: Public Line: (415) 909-4654; Jail Line: (415) 285-1011
- St. Louis, MO: (314) 312-0836.
- Seattle, WA: (206) 658-7963
- Vermont: (802) 417-2173
- Washington, DC: (202) 888 1731
Recent Cases to Know
(Updates/Actions as soon as they are available)
- Jamie Floyd: Peppered spray to death while in Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn 6/3/20
- Sean Monterrosa: Murdered by police in San Francisco as they shot him through the window of the police cruiser (“mistook” hammer in waistband for gun.)6/3/20
Ways to Support Outside of Donating Financially
Additional Action-Oriented Google Doc to share
More Actions to support
Useful Resources and Organizations
Publications Uplifting Black Voices
- Justin has been found as of 6/1 at 4:00 AM CT!
**URGENT ADDED 5/31 at 10:00PM**
19 year old Justin Cosby is missing in Chicago after reportedly being beaten unconscious and arrested by police at a protest. Police are saying they don’t have him in custody but he has not returned home. His phone last pinged at 17th & State, 1st precinct on the night of 5/29. Call around and help Justin return home! Contact Chicago’s Mayor at 312-744-9500 and demand she step in to find and return Justin to safety! Justin’s DOB is 08/14/2000.
***This is a live document compiled by Carlisa on 5/27/20. It is updated daily as more resources and information becomes available. ***