Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
01.12.15 at 6:30 pm – Beech Street
BOD Approved 02.16.15
- Call to Order: Julie S. called the meeting to order at 6:33 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Anna Cole, VP; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Julie Bell, member; Josh Warinner, ED; Susan Likes, BM; Alexia Hudson, CHD
Community Members: Cari Spoonemore, PTO President
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Julie B (Cari)
Next Montessori Moment: Julie B.
- Approval of December 8, 2014 Minutes: Anna moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Julie S. moved to approve the agenda as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum:
- Cari Spoonemore – reported on the National School of Choice Week and passed around a list of those invited to the progressive dinner portion of the event. Requested that board members network with those they know personally on the list. All community members are invited at 7:30 pm. Cari requested that one E/M S Board Member represent the board: January 29th at 5 pm – Anna will attend.
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See “Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – December 8, 2014”
- Alexia: train Tamia on how to upload minutes to the CH website.
- Anna: submit the Kinder Morgan grant prior to Christmas break.
- Everyone: continue to enter appeal names and info to database on Google.
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending…”Financial Summit”.
- Consent Agenda, not applicable for this meeting.
- BOD President – Julie
- Executive Committee Report
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Nate
- New Schedule
- Proposals from CH Board:
- Chad proposed that the board meetings be moved to a later date in the month due to financial statements not being available in time for the Finance Committee to meet prior to the board meeting.
- Proposal: Beginning in March, BOD meetings will be held the 3rd Monday (unless it falls on a holiday, then it will be the 4th Monday) at 5:30 pm, with the exception of January’s meeting being held the 4th Monday.
- Next BOD meeting: February 9th at 5:30 pm
- Proposal: Finance Committee Meeting will be held the 2nd Monday (if it falls on a holiday it will be held on Tuesday) of each month.
- Rebuttals from E/M S Board
- Proposal: CH BOD held from 5 to 6:30 pm and the E/M S BOD held from 6:30 to 8 pm.
- Board Retreat: Ad Hoc Committee for Retreat: Julie S., Matt, Anna, Josh, Alexia will meet next week and finalize BOD meeting dates and times and date of board retreat.
- Executive Director – Josh
- Action Item – Josh will upload the “Communication Pathways” on our website.
- Action Item – Josh will include a “discipline” disclaimer on Wednesday Club/Special Activities permission forms.
- Action Item – Josh will generate a follow-up survey/feedback form for all Wednesday Club/Special Activities.
- Josh will hold two special Enrollment Meetings for the Ute Mountain families on January 22nd and 28th.
- Staff: post all positions by February 1st and have hires by Spring Break
- Business Manager – Susan
- Action Item – Susan will upload financials to Google once they are finalized.
- Moving forward we need to carefully evaluate our subsidy for Farm Lunch.
- Additional Committee
- Development Committee
- Nominations – discussed names of potential board candidates.
- New Business
- Action Item – Julie will upload BOD Agendas to the website.
- Upcoming events
- Re1 Board Meeting with Student Council – January 27th at 7 pm
- January 29th at 7:30 pm, Beech St. – National School of Choice
- Next BOD meeting
- Board Retreat - TBD
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s) – Julie
- Staff Inservice Lunches
- Friday, March 27 – Shamai
- End of year staff meeting May/June TBD –
- Strategic Plan – January/February
- Approval of Financials – February
- Executive Session
- At 8:18 pm Anna moved to enter into Executive Session according to C.R.S. 24-6-402 (4)(e) for legal matters and C.R.S. 24-6-402 (4)(a) for facility contract negotiations. Anna stipulated that the Board and Josh be in attendance. Motioned seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Julie moved to exit out of Executive Session at 9:45 pm. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Adjournment: Julie moved to adjourn, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 9:45 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary