COMMUNITY SESSION OF BOARD MEETING | 9.23.2014
Community In Attendance: Max Kreisky, Ramy Abdel-azim, Bill Barnert, Christine Toohey
Q: Any movement on flyering for IB on college campuses?
A: Now that BCAF is done, Tom should be able to focus on efforts like this.
Q: BCAF rocked.
A: We agree. Thank you.
Artistic Director Report to the Board of Directors
• Alumni Weekend 2014 showcased young alumni alongside alumni going back 3 decades
• IB Awesome Award given to Brendan Mulhern and Emily Holland
• Will Luera given ImprovBoston’s first recognition award at BCAF
• Disability and Outreach Scholarships announced, active
• BCAF 2014 fostered greater IB community ownership, enthusiasm than years past. Buzz on this year’s fest has been wonderful amongst our performers and crew
• Recording and streaming successfully debuted at BCAF to distinctly positive reception
• Recording game plan and IP assurances delivered to extended IB community; recording begins 10/1 for most shows
• Reached out to IB comics for dialogue to help us deliver camera capabilities in a way that honors standup-specific concerns. De facto recordings for standup shows on hold.
• 2nd Annual StageSource Theater Expo yields new audiences, students and creative partnership leads.
• ImprovBoston receives 3 feature Boston Globe articles for BCAF, Jonathan Katz and BLANK! The Musical in 2-week stretch.
• Featured on Boston SAG/AFTRA panel in August
• IB supporting new Riot theater in JP, programming monthly IB performance there and will donate back any proceeds to Riot.
• Boston Comedy Arts Festival 2014 featured 90+ acts across 4 stages and 5 nights
• Boston auditions sent 5 IB improvisers to NYC callbacks for BLANK! the musical. 5 additional IB alumni made final rounds of auditions. Rehearsals begin October for November previews.
• Next round of show proposals due 1/15
• Wednesday/Thursday programming shift proving successful: Harold Night scoring better attendance than previous Thursday averages. Comedy Lab & Kerfuffle hold strong. Mainstage and Naked Comedy not building Thursday momentum yet.
• Gorefest 2014: revival of Penny Dreadful in the Studio Theater last 2 weeks of October under direction of Matt Chapuran and producer Christine Toohey.
• ImprovBoston performed at Austin’s Out of Bounds and Providence Improv festivals
• Jonathan Katz capped BCAF with show featuring TBS’ Funniest Wins finalist and IB alum Jenny Z.
• Holiday show schedule set with IB-produced Holiday Spectacular directed by Allen McRae, Kevin Quigley and John Serpico.
• New Drop-In trifecta rolled out: YAP, Adv Improv Drop-In & Free I-2-I (Intro to Improv)
• 601 (IB’s Signature AllForm) roll out next session.
• Free Music Improv intensive offered to resident casts
• Free 3-week Directing Workshop offered to women with strong directing potential. Sponsored by IB, taught by Rachel Klein, Lori Strauss and Deana Criess.
• NYC alum Josh Gondelman (John Oliver’s Last Week Tonight) to teach 2 workshops and guest with Mainstage in December.
• ImprovBoston receives 1st IRNE Award in recognition of our 30+ year legacy
• In consideration to host StageSource General Auditions this spring
• Working on annual Artistic Vision progress assessment
Managing Director Report to the Board of Directors
• Gigity video recording and archiving system successfully installed and launched for BCAF to widespread praise from festival artists
• Internal policies and procedures developed around IB recording/archiving/streaming
• Launching IB recording/archiving Oct 1
• Emily Holland has departed for LA; Jamie Loftus up and running
• Summer ComedyCamps successful. 272 participants for 2014 (vs. 228 for 2013)
• Summer enrollment dip is over. Registration for Session 5 has been open for less than 2 weeks and we have almost surpassed last session’s final enrollment. (2.5 weeks to go)
• Overhauled weekend Drop-In structure to include FREE intro classes (I-2-I, Advanced, YAP)
• Offering free 3 week directing workshop for aspiring female directors
• 300+ performers, 90 acts, 5 nights, 4 stages; 1 awesomely successful festival
• Significant year over year operational improvement and artist experience
• Volunteer & Staff webinars pre-festival to provide clarity
• Increased IB/BCAF branding for festival (step & repeat banner, signage, shirts, etc)
• Overall attendance 1541, up 257 year over year