Biotechnology Unit: 8.L.2
- Essential Understanding: Understand how biotechnology is used to affect living organisms.
- Biotechnology can affect living organisms either directly or indirectly.
Essential Question for unit: What are the pros and cons of biotechnology?
Essential Standard: 8.L.2.1: Summarize aspects of biotechnology including:
- Specific genetic information available
- Economic benefits to NC
- Ethical issues
- Implications for agriculture
- Essential Understanding #1: ____________ is essential to science for such purposes as sample collection and treatment, measurement, data collection and storage, computation, and communication of information.
- Essential Understanding #2: ___________ biotechnology was (and still is) the use of living organisms to solve problems and make useful products.
Examples: Domesticated crop plants and farm animals through selective breeding
Yeast to make bread rise and produce wine
Main Essential Question: What are the pros and cons of biotechnology?
- Is it ethical to create/design living organisms?
- Should you know/have a say in which foods are genetically altered before eating them?
- How might advances in biotechnology affect society?
- How have we benefitted from biotechnology?
- Do the benefits of genetically altered food outweigh the risks?
- Involves the use of __________ cells and their molecules to ________ problems and make __________ products.
Biotechnology is not just _______ technology, but __________.
- _______ basic kinds of biotechnology tools
- Working with _________. – selective breeding
- Working with __________
- Working with ________ - ___________ _____________: changes the genetic material of a living organism.
- Many industries are finding uses for new tools provided by biotechnology.
- ____________ care industry: diagnose, treat and prevent disease.
- ____________ and ________________ industries are rapidly adopting the tools of biotechnology.
- ___________ and _______________where living cells and their molecules can help us to clean up our environment, detect environmental contamination, reduce our dependence on petroleum.
- Emerging world of biotechnology which gives us advances and new careers in medicine, agriculture, genetics and food science.
Even though biotechnology has benefitted NC in many ways, it has raised _________ issues.
How does biotechnology affect us?
- Through food, water and shelter
- Modern uses: Some examples:
- human insulin for diabetes,
- combat crime through DNA testing and forensic testing
- Removing pollution from soil and water (bioremediation)
- Improving quality of agricultural crops and livestock.
New areas that are controversial:
Vocabulary: biotechnology, organism, microorganism, genetic engineering, selective breeding, bioengineering, bioremediation, clone, ethics, genetic modification,
Vocabulary from readings: genes, behavioral traits, physical traits, somatic cell, herbicides, enucleate, gene gun, specialized cells, unspecialized cells, undifferentiated cells, embryonic stem cells, adult stem cells