JOCHEN HARTMANN | firstname.lastname@example.org | 347 489 3035
last updated 3/2014
2013 Advanced Data Visualization Project, Columbia University, Exhibit Design. New York, NY
- Project management, concept development and exhibit design for a large scale permanent installation to be installed in the Jerome L. Greene Science Center on Columbia's Manhattanville campus.
2013 Network Architecture Lab, Participant in exhibition at MoMA, New York, NY
- Participation in an upcoming exhibition on tactical urbanism with the Network Architecture Lab. Exhibit is to premiere at the MAK in Vienna in June 2014 and then open at the Museum of Modern Art in New York during November 2014. Currently working on urban research and preliminary design of an interactive exhibit or game.
- Co-taught advanced graduate studio course related to the exhibition.
2011 - 2013 Columbia University, Grad. School of Architecture, Creative Technologist. New York, NY
- Software development, design and implementation for various program related web sites and services including events.gsapp.org, arch.columbia.edu, buellcenter.org and various internal tools for the school.
2013 Columbia University, Grad. School of Architecture, Teaching Assistant. New York, NY
- Teaching assistant for Kazys Varnelis' Network Culture class. Weekly discussions with students during the seminar, advising on graduate level student research projects.
- Developed a graduate level course in web technologies with Leigha Dennis and Troy Therrien at the graduate school of architecture. Co-taught code labs, provided feedback to students and helped solve programming challenges related to student projects.
2007 - present Freelance Designer / Web Developer. New York, NY
- Graphic design, web development, technical consulting and visual design for various clients ranging from private schools and architecture firms to individuals, art galleries and non-profit organizations.
2011 - fall Bernheimer Architecture, Intern. New York, NY
- Research, diagramming and Rhinoscript analysis of Garment district area retail for Made in Midtown workshops. Concept development, schematic design and client presentations for retail projects.
2008 - 2009 Google, Engineering, Senior Developer Programs Engineer. New York, NY, Mtn. View, CA
- Actively involved in growing the external developer community around Google Data APIs and developer products. Presented at various developer conferences worldwide (including Google IO, Google Developer Day, NTEN & Salesforce events) to audiences ranging between 100 – 200 attendees.
- Contributor to Google open-source client libraries, applications and prototypes. Contributed over 100k lines of code and tests for PHP and Python libraries (responsible for tens of millions of request to the YouTube API per day). Authoredarticles, blog posts and 20+ page tutorials for code.google.com totalling over 100 pages in printed form and accessed by over 30k unique readers YOY. Created and starred in a YouTube training video that received close to 90k views on YouTube in under a year.
- Supported strategic partners with their YouTube Data API integrations. This involved a close knowledge with the underlying XML and HTTP based protocols, network packet traces and access to internal YouTube administration tools. Sample partners: Facebook, Slide, CBS, Eye.fi, Qik, Technorati. Worked with kiva.org, the world’s first person-to-person micro-lending website, to integrate video profiles for their entrepreneurs in third world countries. Single-handedly led advocacy efforts and worked with Kiva engineers on the implementation.
2004 - 2007 Quilted.coop, Principal. New York, NY
- Co-founder of a technology and design consulting firm geared towards socially progressive clients. Designed visual identity systems and print publications for numerous organizations.
2005 - 2007 Buckminster Fuller Institute, Director of Technology & Graphic Designer. Brooklyn, NY
- Conceived of and designed all visual materials including current identity for the institute and all its programs. Materials included posters, brochures, books, reports and video.
- Designed and implemented a customized community website for 3,000+ active members using Drupal and CiviCRM. Created several smaller sites for BFI programs featuring custom PHP modules and XHTML/CSS themes.
2003 - 2005 Morgan Stanley, Product Development Lead, Institutional Equity Infrastructure. New York, NY
- Managed the successful implementation of over 50 large scale business logic enhancements on a global network of critical systems. Communicated system changes globally for NY, London, Hong Kong and Tokyo regions.
- Performed in-depth analysis of system logic, created technical specification documents and built prototypes in Java and C# for outsourced IT teams. Managed work for three separate IT teams consisting of outsourced staff and local counterparts.
2001 - 2003 Morgan Stanley, Developer, Restricted Securities. New York, NY
- Developed and implemented database-driven applications to streamline, automate and improve various business processes using VB, VBA, IIS and .NET. Created reporting tools for various institutional brokerage teams. Designed and maintained a monthly reporting package presented to firm wide infrastructure management. Conducted training sessions and weekly meetings with senior risk-reporting officers from various departments.
- 2013 NYSA Award for Total Excellence in Design, M. Arch program, Columbia University, NYC
- 2010-12: Tuition scholarship to the Master of Architecture program, Columbia University, NYC
- 2009: Tuition scholarship to Parsons Master of Architecture program, New York City (transfer)
- 2008 - 2009: Various peer bonuses received from Google colleagues.
- 2004: Institutional Infrastructure Securities Award for Excellence, Morgan Stanley
- 1999: European Honors Program, Rhode Island School of Design, Rome
- 1997 - 2000: Tuition Grants & Scholarships, Rhode Island School of Design
- Familiar: Java, C# / .NET, VB / VBA, MySQL, Ruby, Rails, LISP, RhinoScript, MaxScript
- Graphics: Maya, Rhino/Grasshopper, 3dsMax, Adobe CS, AutoCAD, ZBrush, Processing, Revit
- Other/Tools: Google APIs, GWT, AppEngine, SVN, Git, PHPUnit, AI systems, sound design, audio programming/synthesis, game design, analog and digital synthesizers, Arduino and basic electronics, trained in manual drafting, painting and sculpture
- Columbia University, New York, NY, Master of Architecture, 2013
- Parsons - The New School for Design, New York, NY, Master Architecture (transferred to Columbia University), GPA first year 3.9
- Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI, BFA Sculpture, GPA 3.7, European Honors Program
(continued on next page)
WRITING AND TEACHING
- Teaching Assistant: Advanced Architecture Studio / Kazys Varnelis, Columbia SPRING 2014
- Teaching Assistant: Network Culture / Kazys Varnelis, Columbia FALL 2013
- Critic: Extreme Cities Studio, Columbia SP 2013
- "On the notion of Value in Network Culture" for 'Network Culture', K. Varnelis, Columbia U.
- "Ghost Machine Age" for 'Postmodern Japanese Architecture', K. Kunio, Columbia U.
- "Can you smoke in the Firestation / Neutelings Architects", for 'Program', E. Walker, Columbia U.
- "Il Redentore / Palladio", for 'Italian Renaissance 1400-1600', D. Sherer, Columbia U.
- "Illich / Facebook", for 'Nature/Environment', D. da Cunha, Parsons/New School U.
- Teaching Assistant: Web as Site, web development and architecture, Columbia SP 2013
- Teaching Assistant: various courses in fine art and 3D design, Rhode Island School of Design
RECENT EXHIBITIONS / CONCERTS / RELEASES
- 2013 HSDOM - GRANITE IV, C40, Black Horizons label
- 2013 The Dark Side of the Digital conference, University of Wisconsin, WI
- 2013 BROTKATZE - COLLABORATIONS IV - group exhibition, Kunststück Berlin, Germany
- 2012 Solo performance, The McKitrick hotel, NYC as part of the Secret Sounds of Cities event, Storefront for Art and Architecture, New York, NY
- 2012 NIL - NILMONIC PROCESS, 12", Phaserprone label
- 2011 Charles R. DeCarlo Performing Arts Center, Sarah Lawrence College, Yonkers, NY
- 2010 HSDOM - untitled, C30, Phaserprone label
- 2010 The Hole Gallery, New York, NY
- 2008 HSDOM / SYNB, split CD, Phaserprone label
- 2007 Risk Reporting, Phaserprone books
- 2007 White Columns, curated artist registry, New York, NY
- 2006 Participant Inc. Gallery, New York, NY & group show at Space 1026, Philadelphia, PA