Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
05.18.15 at 6:30 pm – Beech Street
BOD Approved 06.15.15
- Call to Order: Julie called the meeting to order at 6:45 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Anna Cole, VP; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Julie Bell, Member; Josh Warinner, ED; Susan Likes, BM
Community Members: Shamai Buckel, Rebecca Millholland
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Nate
Next Montessori Moment: Unassigned
- Approval of the April 20, 2015 Minutes: Anna moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Anna moved to approve the agenda as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: None
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See “Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – April 20, 2015”
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending…”Financial Summit”.
- Anna: give a BOD update to Josh each month to include in the newsletter…ongoing assignment. (Moved to Future Agenda Items – July/August)
- Retreat Committee: meet ASAP.
- Retreat Committee: meet regularly and file a board report at the next board meeting.
- Consent Agenda
- 2015-16 CDE Budget Approval
- 2014-15 Supplemental Appropriation Resolution
- 2015-16 Appropriation Resolution
Anna moved to approve the Consent Agenda, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- BOD President – Julie
- Executive Session for Josh’s year-end evaluation and bonus recommendation.
- Executive Session recorded: Julie’s IPhone
- At 6:56 pm Julie moved to enter into Executive Session according to C.R.S. 24-6-402 (4)(e) specifically for determining positons and development strategy for negotiations and instructing negotiators. Julie stipulated that all BOD members be in attendance. Motion seconded and approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Julie moved to exit out of Executive Session at 7:01 pm. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Action Item: Anna will finalize Josh’s evaluation and email it out to the board for review.
- Julie recommended that Josh receive 100 percent of his Performance Bonus.
- Julie moved to approve Josh receiving 100 percent of his Performance Bonus. Motion seconded and approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Executive Director – Josh
- Action Item: Josh will provide a summary of the STAR and DIBELS assessments, including instructions on how to review the data, in his next report to the board.
- Visit from Tony, Josh’s mentor
- Action Item: Susan will follow-up with Julie on a hotel voucher.
- Action Item: All BOD members are invited to meet with Tony from 8 to 10 am, Thursday the 21st at Beech. Send questions or discussion topics to Anna.
- Anna would like to see very detailed “Summer Expectations” prepared and sent out to our students.
- Reminder: We are academic invested!
- Continuing on the discussion held in the CH BOD meeting…The BOD expressed concern regarding a portrayed lack of academic rigor during the final weeks of school. Admin was encouraged by the board to focus academic attention toward an end-of-year project to be displayed during a gallery night on the last day of school or a similar project that would keep the teachers and students academically engaged all the way to the end.
- Action Item: Josh will send out a clarifying email regarding the last week of school. -- DONE
- Anna mentioned the possibility and benefits of conducting assessments prior to the start of school.
- Action Item: Josh will look into the possibility of conducting assessments prior to the start of school.
- Business Manager – Susan
- Conference Update: Susan will get us up to speed on payroll regulations.
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Nate
- Nominations Committee – Anna
- Updates on new membership
- Action Item: Anna will email Nate the “talking points” document.
- Action Item: Nate will make contact with potential board members.
- Action Item: Julie will make contact with potential board members.
- Training New Board Members
- Mission/Vision Committee
- Community goals Document
- Revised Mission/Vision Statements
- The above mentioned document was discussed at length and the board was divided on whether this document should be passed. Final decision was to wait until all board members have thoroughly reviewed and expressed opinion on the document.
- Action Item: Mission/Vision Committee will present this document for approval at a later date.
- New Business
- Action Item: Admin needs to review the Performance Management Plan in the Evaluation and Hiring folder.
- Action Item: Nominations and Board Development Committee - set up the nominations schedule for the 2015-2016 year. (July/August)
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- May 19 – RE1 Board Meeting about our contract
- May 22 – NO SCHOOL Teacher Work Day
- May 25 – MEMORIAL DAY – NO SCHOOL
- May 28 – Music Program 6 pm
- June 2 – Josh at AMC Meeting in Denver
- June 2 – CKMS on Planning Agenda @ City Council Chambers
- June 1-4 – Drop off students at Parque De Vida
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, June 15, 2015 at 6:30 pm
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s)
- Retreat Committee Report – June
- Josh will provide an academic data report on assessments – June
- Nomination of new board member(s) – June
- Approval of the Mission/Vision document – TBD
- BOD updates to Josh, this was previously completed by Anna – July/August
- Adjournment: Anna moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:37 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary