Middle School Math Summer Coursework Overview
It’s summertime...woo-hoo! I know how much we love to kick back and relax for 10 weeks. But...
- Research conclusively demonstrates that too much time away from learning and mental stimulation is quite detrimental to students. It leads to stagnation, regression, and some major frustration in August—especially in math where the saying “use it or lose it” is particularly true.
- The first two chapters and various sections throughout each book review basic concepts. It is critical that we cover this material quickly and move on to the “meat” of the course.
The good news is that we can stop the so-called “summer slide”. How do we do this? It’s simple – we provide an opportunity for students to practice their math skills during the summer months. All 6th-, 7th- and 8th-grade students are expected to complete Summer Coursework that corresponds to the math class they are entering in fall of 2017.
Summer Coursework Timeline and Overview for Current SkyView Students
1. Your student should have already joined the Google Classroom corresponding to the class they are entering in fall of 2017. If they have not yet joined, please encourage them to do so. Here are the Google Classroom Codes they will need:
Entering Course 1: rsaizzz
Entering Course 2: ta97u1c
Entering Pre-Algebra: rsqohjz
Entering Algebra I: k792j6
2. Please ask your student to show the Summer Coursework Information Letter in Google Classroom to you.
3. Each week, a new assignment will be posted in Google Classroom for students to complete. New assignments will be posted starting in June and we will skip the week of July 4. Therefore, new assignments will be posted on these days: June 4, 11, 18, and 25 and July 9, 16, 23, 30. We know that you may be out of town sometimes and that’s ok! Students can just submit each assignment as soon as they are able to finish. The goal is to spread the math practice throughout the summer.
4. Students will complete the assignments, being careful to show ALL work in a neat and organized way. No calculators, please (except for students entering Algebra I who must still show all algebra).
5. Students will scan or take pictures of their completed work and submit it through Google Classroom.
6. The summer coursework will be graded and entered into the grade book in August. There will also be rewards in August for students who submit their assignments on time, complete all assignments before school starts, and for accuracy and effort.
Summer Coursework for Students New to SkyView for 2017-2018
If your student is new to SkyView for 2017-2018, we will send an email with a link to print the Summer Coursework.
We are so excited for the 2017-2018 school year and we know that the summer coursework will help students be ready to dive right in! If you have questions about summer coursework, please email Krista Evans at email@example.com.