Anthony Morella 908-509-1791 / Stamford CT 06902 / email@example.com
Barnegat NJ 08005
Innovative, results-driven IT professional with 22 years of notable success directing a broad range of corporate IT initiatives while analyzing, designing, and implementing solutions in support of business objectives. Thrive in solving complex problems involving a wide variety of information systems while enhancing security and optimizing performance.
Hyperconvergence: Scale Computing, Pivot 3, Simplivity, Gluster and CEPH FS with oVirt, Cloudstack, Azure Stack
Cloud Infrastructure: Azure, Amazon AWS, VMware vCloud, Google Cloud Platform, Rackspace, Joyent Cloud Services
Cloud Apps: Office 365, Dynamics CRM Online, Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, Lync Online, Skype for Business
Desktop Virtualization: OpenThinClient, Thinstation, PCoIP, Dell Wyse, HP, Apache Guacamole HTML5, paperspace.io
Virtualization: VMware ESXi / vSphere, Hyper-V, Citrix XenApp, XenDesktop, XenServer, VirtualBox, Linux KVM / LXC, Docker/Stack, Cameyo, Parallels, Virtuozzo, CoreOS.
System Management / Monitoring: Solarwinds LEM and SAM, System Center, Operations Management Suite, Nagios, OpenNMS, Cacti, ConnectWise/Labtech, Kaseya, Spiceworks, Intune, ManageEngines
System Automation: Puppet, Chef, PowerShell/DSC, Ansible, Vagrant, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, System Center
Security: Sophos, VMware vShield, Cisco, Juniper, Fortinet, PFSense, Windows, iptables, QualysGuard, Kali Linux, Metasploit, Checkpoint IDS, Symantec, Security Compliance Manager (SCM), Data Classification Toolkit (DCT)
Networking: Cisco IOS, HP Procurve, JunOS, Juniper Netscreen, Dell PowerConnect, FortiGate, Sophos UTM / XG
Microsoft Servers: Dynamics, 365 CRM, AX, and GP, Small Business Accounting, SharePoint, BizTalk, Exchange, Forefront, Lync, Groove, SQL, Small Business Server
Backup: Unitrends Enterprise, Carbonite, Mozy, Symantec, Acrois, Backup Exec, AppAssure, SugarSync, CrashPlan, VMware Consolidated Backup, Quest vRanger, Microsoft System Center DPM, Bacula
App Server: JBOSS, Glassfish, Tomcat, Alfresco
Operating Systems: Windows through Server 2016, Debian / Ubuntu / Redhat Linux, FreeBSD
Storage Systems (SAN and NAS): VMWare VSAN, EMC VNX/VMAX, Dell SC/PS/ES , Microsoft Storage Spaces with Scale out/up File Systems, Windows 2016 Storage Spaces Direct, Starwinds, Nappit, FreeNAS, QNAP
Independent IT Consulting, Axis Business Systems
Consulting System Administrator, Engineer, and Architect 2016 to Present
- Orchestrated major redesign of an existing VMWare installation with EMC ISCSI and Dell FC SAN’s including:
- System level optimization. 400% increased ISCSI IOPS, 50% reduction in storage and RAM by 33%
- Implemented vSphere Upgrade Manager to automate update ESXI 5.5. To 6.1 and guest tools for 200+ VMs
- Overhaul the physical and virtual network to optimize 10GB networks for both storage and data transport while also implementing software defined networking.
- Implemented vShield Edge with Sophos Server reducing memory footprint by 22GB, increasing available IOPS and eliminating scan storms
- Designed and built a custom 40TB FreeNAS storage server. Implemented Unitrends Enterprise for backup of 250+ VMs, files and SQL servers to the NAS
- Migration from 2003 to 2012R2 file servers utilizing deduplication and compression freeing up 25TB
- Migrated 2003 Terminal servers to 2012R2 server farm. Included wrapping old VB6 application using Camyeo Application Virtualizer
- Migrated Windows 2003 to 2012R2 two-tier enterprise PKI hierarchy system
- Automated upgrade from 2003R2 to 2008R2 as well as 2008R2 to 2012R2 utilizing Ansible, Vagrant and PowerShell
- Automated migration from 2003 AD to 2012R2 AD including a new domain name and structure using Puppet and PowerShell
- Automated migration from 2TB compressed EML files to Office 365 Archive for 126 users using MailStore
- Implementing ADFS for Single Sign On to Office 365
- Implemented OpenThinClient with PXE boot and BRIX Mini-PC allowing for a low cost and simple to manage solution, replacing 120 HP thin clients. Clients boots to a screen showing just allowed apps which in turn connects to Windows 2012R2 RemoteApp farm.
- Automated installation of System Center 2012 R2 implementation using PDT (PowerShell Deployment Tools) with Azure Pack to create a private cloud platform to manage new and existing VMs/
- Implemented Sophos Cloud Endpoint Protection for both VMWare Servers and 120 Client Devices
- Implemented ten site WAN network utilizing HP 2920 Layer 3 switches and Fortinet 800D Firewalls. Segmented the 800D’s into three VDOMs and isolated via VLANs creating a three ring security model. Conducted risk assessments and PEN testing utilizing Kali Linux toolset, identified 29 server and 19 client side vulnerabilities.
- Created and Implement AD GPOs using Security Compliance Manager (SCM) as well as Data Classification Toolkit (DCT) in order to create and manage central access policies across all servers
Independent IT Consulting, Robert Half Technology
Consulting System Administrator, Engineer, and Architect 2012 to Present
- Planned and migrated 120 person office from local Exchange (5TB) / Sharepoint (9TB) to Office 365 / SharePoint Online.
- Implemented Microsoft's App-V 5.1 to stream an older VB6 solution from Windows 2012 R2 as well as Guacamole HTML5 front end with AD SSO, allowing for a web based agentless access to VB6 App.
- Architected and implemented the migration of 56 physical Windows and Linux servers to Amazon AWS. EC2 Windows VMs, EC2 Linux containers, migrating existing Microsoft SQL DB to Amazon's RDS for Microsoft SQL Server, AWS Direct Connect to extend existing on-premise VLAN to AWS VPCs and Amazon Workspaces and WorkDocs for DaaS.
- Designed solution to migrate from Citrix XenApp & XenDesktop to Windows 2012 R2 high availability VDI system with 150+ Wyse thin clients.
- Diagnosing four-node Windows 2008 R2 Cluster, with EMC ISCSI storage that crashed intermittently by analyzing logs and crash dump files, after both Dell and Microsoft supported had unsuccessfully resolved the issue.
- Increasing ISCSI performance three fold by optimizing both Windows and a pair of EqualLogic PS4000 ISCSI NAS’s.
- Migrated Netscreen 25 to dual Juniper SSG350M with Active/Active failover and dual WAN connections. Changed from static to OSPF routing at all 35 locations. Optimized VPN links as well as implement new firewall rules.
- Migrated ten Dell R720 from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 with failover Hyper-V clustering. Implemented new dual node HA 96 TB SAS Storage Spaces Scale-out File System with enclosure redundancy as well as SSD tiering and that I designed and built for shared SMB 3.0 storage.
- Designed DR site with firewall, switch, server, and storage redundancy. Configured HQ and DR Hyper-V Clusters sites with Hyper-V Replica.
- Migrated single node Exchange 2010 server to three node HA DAG
- Migration of Exchange 2003-2010 to Office 365 and Google Business Apps
- Migrated from 15 MSSQL 2005-2008 Servers to 8 MSSQL 2012 SQL with failover and mirroring. Optimized application by using Performance Monitor and SQL Server Profiler
- Installed and configured System Center 2012R2, SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor, and ManageEngine Application Monitoring at multiple customer locations.
- Various break fixes including Windows, Linux, Exchange, MS SQL, MySQL, Cisco Routers, GlassFish / Tomcat (Java) and Linux systems.
- Optimized Wordpress and Drupal systems running on LAMP Linux based servers. Included changes to Linux OS, PHP, Apache, and MySQL as well as adding MemCache for MySQL caching and Varnish for HTTP Acceleration.
- Complete implementation of SolarWinds LEM 6 to 700+ nodes, design to pass a PCI security audit. Included integration with QualysGuard, Symantec, Cisco Firewalls, Checkpoint IDS as well as creating 100’s of custom rules and actions for the customer.
- Created blueprints for existing systems to help explain evolved networking designs that had been undocumented.
- Researched, designed, and implemented SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL), ERP(OpenERP, Microsoft Dynamics GP, JD Edwards, Quickbooks/Fishbowl) and CRM (Dynamics, Salesforce, Microsoft CRM) as well as data migration to and from each data source.
Independent IT Consulting, Certus Technologies
Consulting System Administrator, Engineer, and Architect 2010-Present
Assumed various responsibilities for Certus and their customer base, this included architecting enterprise security, Microsoft Exchange, Linux email, backup/disaster recovery, VPN, Router installations and modifications, Firewalls, Virtualization, Cluster High Availability and VoIP Systems. A few recent notable accomplishments:
- Implemented PFsense firewalls / routers across 18 locations. Design included the following with a focus on limiting outbound traffic to know bad entities as well as monitoring and reporting:
- Failover both hardware and WAN failovers
- Suricata IDS (in and out bound)
- DNSBL Blocking using Unbound (DNS server)
- Squid Proxy with URL filtering
- Implemented Sophos firewall and wifi solutions for many of Certus small to mid size customers to secure main offices as well as branch offices and VPN connectivity.
- Virtualized Certus existing servers using VMware and Hyper-V on purpose built rack mount hardware. Implemented FreeNAS on purpose built hardware using RAID 6, ISCSI, and ZFS replication to build a completely redundant network with real-time failover and unlimited expandability. This allowed for numerous benefits including reduced costs and complexity of managing hardware, server deployment times and increased uptime for all services. Also installed and implemented routers to interconnect offices and NAC for VPN and off site backup.
- Migration of multiple on premise Exchange 2010 servers to Office 365. Included Single & Multiple Domain Federation of ADFS with Microsoft Office 365 Cloud and Dir Synchronization. Used a variation of strategies including cutover, staged, and Hybrid deployments with PowerShell scripts to automate the process.
- Designed and deployed Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager (DPM) which optimized storage space usage, reducing the file system size to 42% for many of GSIT customers.
- Researched, designed, built, and implemented wall mounted kiosk system for one of the largest Catholic Churches in Manhattan as a beta test for donations via credit cards. The system was designed using the PCI’s PA and PTS data security standards.
- Exchange 2003/2007/2010 to 2013 migration and consolidation of 550 mailboxes and 600GB of data for a large printing company. This included consolation of four Exchange sites to one primary with a passive DR, implemented using VMWARE on physical hardware and back end ISCSI storage system.
- Created detailed planning, procedures, and documentation for multiple migrations of Small Business Servers to Exchange 2010 where each instance was hosted on GIST's VMWARE core servers with real-time backup to DR. Upon completion managed 35 Active Directory / Exchange servers for GSIT’s customers while training staff to take over the admin roles.
- Research, analyzed, and implemented Cisco 800, 1900, 2900, 3900 series routers/firewall, as well as Catalyst 2960 (POE). Enhance existing, and many times limited, security policies on corporate LAN/WAN IP networks. Including complex VPN interconnects with OSPF and EIGRP routing.
- Designed and installed maintenance, monitoring and automation systems using Microsoft System Center, as well Puppet, Solarwinds, Nagios, and Cacti.
- Resolved I/O bottleneck and optimized performance for business critical applications. Removed single points of failure and vulnerabilities resulting in 99.99% uptime SLA
- Designed and implemented multi-site Asterisk/ FreePBX based PBX/VoIP system
Education and Related Volunteer Experience
Raritan Valley College Branchburg NJ
Major: Computer Science
Active in many open source projects
- Cloud computing: Openstack, Cloudstack
- Firewall / IDS: pfSense and Pfblocker beta tester, Security Onion
- Pentesting: Metasploit
- Home Automation: OpenHab, Home Assistant
- Maker projects: Raspberry Pi, Odroid, ESP8266
- Distribution for embedded linux: OpenWrt
- Miscellaneous: openthinclient.org